GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/06/2024 10:23 pm  #61

Re: GW beats St. Bonaventure Game !!

Great defense in the second half made the difference. Noticed how we doubled teamed the center position when the ball was sent into the low post. Excellent work. Kudos to Noel Brown for a good game-8 points ,three rebounds. Mark Schmidt saw something that was missing at GW.

3/07/2024 2:23 am  #62

For me a big key to winning this game was the double teaming of the Bonnies bigs when they got the ball down low.   Only wonder why we didn't do this much earlier in the losing streak when opposing Big Men were just leaning into Stretch one-on-one and calmly flipping in 2-3 footers with impunity.  Simply helping out Stretch with a double team when he got in trouble on D down low would have made a huge difference in our season.  

3/07/2024 2:39 am  #63

Joel Joseph wrote:

I know we won when dude posts during the game.
Also, didn’t see any complaining about the refs.
If we can beat the Dukes in Pittsburgh can we stay out of the play-in game as the 15th (and last) seed?
This thread shows the few GW fans left have given up on this season - like the players. Just 2 1/2 page thread on this game. Siena has only won 4 games all season and they still draw 4-5 page threads on games.

I'm glad that someone is finding the positives in this season

3/07/2024 2:45 am  #64

https://gwradio.com/mens-basketball-finally-wins-86-75-over-st-bonaventure/

Very refreshing to see this team finally win and I'm glad they were able to stop the streak, especially considering it was senior night. I've seen them doubling big men throughout conference play but they've continually gotten burned by bad help defense and good passing from opposing post players. The difference tonight is they made Venning (and Noel, who we know isn't much of a passer) uncomfortable and forced them into bad passes, especially to open the 2nd half.

3/07/2024 8:52 am  #65

Congrats to the boys on last night's big win. Was a long time coming and was so great to see the guys fired up and having fun for once. Still sticks in my craw that we didn't see that performance in more games. As already stated, this team is better than one that lost 12 straight. Would be awesome to see them win a pair of games or three in Brooklyn.

Also saw the coaching staff and Tony Skinn (I believe, from his GMU winter hat) celebrating afterward at Circa. Gave them three cheers for GW when we left.

3/07/2024 9:32 am  #66

Just very happy to see MBB win yesterday given the circumstances. It's been hard to say a lot of positive things in the past month and a half, and I prefer to focus on the good things whenever possible. One thing I never questioned despite the losses was whether the team had given up. The limitations have been obvious, but the will to win was always there.

Not only did JB go out with a win, but he had a very efficient shooting night as well. His third game in the last six where he made at least five threes. The dunk was awesome as well. Seeing him sub out for the final time made me very emotional. Congrats to him on a great career at GW and I'm looking forward to following his professional career!

I'm not sure what was figured out coming into the game when it comes to moving the ball, but the team almost matched their usual average in assists per game by halftime. I didn't expect GW to finish with more assists than the other team the rest of the year, but we got that last night - 19 assists to just 11 for Bona and they outrebounded them by 9! It was also nice for once to see the refs give us calls at home and not the other way around (that deflection out of bounds with just under 8 minutes to go I believe was definitely off GW and not Bona). Making 15 threes helps, but better quality shots improve the likelihood of makes. There were few one-on-many isolation possessions from JB or Jun. Despite it being JB's night, he was still looking to make the pass to a teammate first. It felt like there could have been maybe better quality shots at times in the first 20 (even the shots that went in were a bit too deep) but the team really took good shots after halftime. Case in point: JB took just two shots from deep after halftime compared to seven before. One of the reasons he came back this year was to prove he could be more consistent from behind the arc. Despite all the challenges this year, I think he's done that. However, it's never been what's made his offensive game special. I would have loved to see his patented midrange one last time but that's a nitpick in what was otherwise a well played game by him.

Neither Venning nor Noel is close to Neal Quinn when it comes to passing the ball out of the post so the defensive game plan was really well thought out to double them going in. I also thought Bona looked somewhat banged up/not playing with a lot of effort which surprised me given they had seeding to play for. I guess they expected GW to roll over given the losing streak. Still, it was great to see the consecutive turnovers forced leading to fast break makes. It reminded me of the first half sequence against VCU. CC has slowed things down over the past few weeks to give the team a better chance to win with all the limitations, but it's been the inability to get stops and get out in transition which has prevented the team from truly flourishing when playing a fast tempo. Yesterday, the team finally secured the rebounds needed to end a possession defensively - Bona had just four offensive boards.

It was also nice to see Stretch and Antoine have some moments as well. Despite the technical (I get the emotions of the game, but not sure why Akingbola protested the call - he clearly bumped the Bona player and he should have vented his frustration looking in the air as opposed to the ref) it was great watching Stretch block three shots in crucial moments. He also showed a lot more effort closing out along the perimeter.

Smith has struggled from three in recent games but he was responsible for coming up with the steal and finding Jun that tied the game at 46 in the second half. He's like JB in that he has some limitations defensively but the effort on that end was definitely there last night.

While the team continued to lose, Jacoi has been consistently producing at a high level. I knew what he could do defensively and as a passer coming in as a freshman, but I'd be lying if I said I expected him to produce so consistently on offense as a shooter/scorer. Garrett played a few games injured, but Coi is leading the team in three point percentage. I never would have guessed that coming into the year. Anyways, he's a stud and I hope he stays at GW his whole career. It's easy to be scared about what a post-JB world looks like, but with Hutchinson around I feel better about MBB moving forward.

I was happy to see Trey hit that three before halftime to give the team a bit of momentum - he generally makes good decisions whether to pass or shoot. That deserves a shout out - time after time he chose to make the extra pass instead of taking a shot which he has shown he can make at least somewhat consistently. He finished with three assists today after not recording one in his last three games.

Jun was Jun. Outside of spotty FT shooting at times, he had some big time moves taking the ball to the basket and even went 2-4 from three! I'm interested to see whether he can emerge as a more consistent option from behind the arc next year - that would certainly have NBA scouts coming out to watch him consistently (I'm sure they already have).

And finally there's Max. Good to see him back after he missed the La Salle game with a finger injury. As others have mentioned, it's easily the most in control I've seen him play in a while, probably since GW last won a game. When he doesn't look to do too much, I think he is a very valuable complementary option. By that, I mean not dribble too much and just hoist a three when he even gets the slightest of space. Of his six makes last night, five were assisted. That's something I've been desperate to see happen for a while to get him out of a slump. JB also found him down low along the baseline that probably could have been another assisted layup had the ball not slipped out of Max's hands. Anyways, Edwards also played some of his best defense last night that I've ever seen from him, notably keeping the Bona player in front of him and not letting him blow past him to the basket.

I guess there's a way for GW to move up to 13th if they somehow win at Duquesne and both Davidson and St. Louis lose. If I'm being honest, there's not a pillow fight squad that I'm scared to face if GW plays actual team ball like they did last night with some effort defensively. I expected a bottom half finish based on inexperience coming into the year, but the talent is certainly not that of a last place team.

Anyways, it shouldn't be too hard to play better against the Dukes compared to last year's game as it was easily the worst the team played all year. What will make things tough is that it will be their Senior Day and on top of that possibly Dambrot's last regular season game before he retires so they will certainly be going all out to try to win.

gwstudent2024 wrote:

https://gwradio.com/mens-basketball-finally-wins-86-75-over-st-bonaventure/

Very refreshing to see this team finally win and I'm glad they were able to stop the streak, especially considering it was senior night. I've seen them doubling big men throughout conference play but they've continually gotten burned by bad help defense and good passing from opposing post players. The difference tonight is they made Venning (and Noel, who we know isn't much of a passer) uncomfortable and forced them into bad passes, especially to open the 2nd half.

Nice recap! Thanks for your coverage of both MBB and WBB all season. I'm glad you got to see the team win in your final home game as a student.

3/07/2024 10:45 am  #67

For those of us who missed last night's game, but would like watch it, can someone put up a link to do so? thanks

3/07/2024 10:52 am  #68

Class 'o 70 wrote:

For those of us who missed last night's game, but would like watch it, can someone put up a link to do so? thanks

http://www.espn.com/watch?id=42383f8e-8db4-4cec-9284-482fed8fb19a

3/07/2024 10:57 am  #69

Most of us have seen more important wins.  And, more exciting wins.  However, last night's win becomes right up there with the 1 in 1-27 for GW's most satisfying win.  Satisfying because it ended an undesirable streak.  Satisfying because the team won on Senior Night.  And satisfying because the fans got to see what this team is truly capable of for the first time since, remarkably, MLK Day.

With all due respect to Stretch and Antoine, seniors who barely had time for breakfast in Foggy Bottom, this was all about James Bishop IV.  At GW, JB had breakfast, a terrible lunch where the chef was soon replaced, came back for dinner nevertheless and even stayed for dessert when he clearly did not have to.  (Analogy inspired by Chef Jose Andres, arguably GW's top visiting fan of the season.)  Am not sure whether television would have captured this but I hope everyone was able to witness the facial expressions of Jacoi, Jun, Trey and Stretch, the remaining players on the court as JB exited the Smith Center court for the final time.  These guys were 25% relieved and 75% euphoric that this team came together for JB on what must be regarded as HIS senior night.

I won't spend a lot of time on the performances as others have done a great job with this.  What I will say though is to get this win against a team and coach who I have great respect and admiration for was extremely impressive.  Part of last night's "good feelings" was that the streak was broken against a high quality team.  This goes alongside VCU as one of the team's two best wins of the season.

A few words about the zone defenses.  There are two ways to play a zone...passively and aggressively.  I understand why CC would begin tinkering with playing zone starting several games ago.  However, up until last night, the zones really had not been very effective.  How many steals or turnovers were generated?  How many deflected passes were there?  Plus, running the offense through a capable high post player was all that was really needed to break the zone.  We saw this happen repeatedly.  Last night, when CC first had the team play zone, I could not get over the timing.  GW had just played its best 3+ minute stretch of defense this season highlighted by a "get this shit out of here" block by Stretch followed by consecutive steals which each led to fast break layups.  Schmidt called time before the official timeout and when the teams returned, GW was in a zone.  Once again, I saw the passive zone and was left SMH as to why.

Fast forward to the game's late stages.  The team went into a zone but this time, it was far more active.  Defenders were flying at three point shooters.  All five players were rotating properly.  Even when Banks made one of his impressive 3's (not the sick turnaround but another one), the Bonnies were down by about 10 and yet they still used a full 29 seconds before getting the shot off.  Even though the shot went in, that's a win for the defense...forcing a team needing to make up much ground late to use most of the shot clock.  This happened a couple of times and it helped explain why SBU ran out of time to get back into the game.  Something to think about again if and when the team is protecting a late lead.

Finally, with the monkey now off its back, it will be interesting to see how the team plays from here on out.  I would not read much into the Duquesne game as it's relatively meaningless to GW and I'd rather see everyone stay healthy and get rest.  But then...what is this team truly capable of?  If you look at the top teams in the conference, we played Richmond very well for a half in Richmond, we may very well have defeated Loyola without the injury to Jun, and we won at VCU.  (No need to bring up Dayton.)  Without a truly dominating team in the conference, I won't expect much but am willing to hang onto "you never know."

3/07/2024 11:52 am  #70

Good to see some D and the guys smiling, cheering and clapping--- Having A Blast!

3/07/2024 6:33 pm  #71

In addition to the brilliance of James Bishop last night ...

Maximus had an outstanding game!

3/07/2024 6:49 pm  #72

How does a team with James Bishop, Darren Buchanan and Max Edwards lose 12 straight? Three top players in the A-10. Obviously winning basketball takes more than three players, but those dudes aren't chopped liver. Still pisses me off to think about that.

Board footera