GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2024 1:29 am  #241

Re: Other Games Thread

Korin24 wrote:

The Dude wrote:

Hunter Dean and LSU take down Kentucky at the buzzer!

That was a close one I was on the edge of my seat when that happened 

Very exciting game and electric crowd at LSU for the big upset 

Washington State takes down 1 seed Arizona on the road and has locked themselves up a March Madness ticket.   Kyle Smith who did the impossible, a post-season crown at Columbia has completely turned around Washington State. 

Washington St left out by the Power 5s in the carving up of the Pac12 and now heading to join Gonzaga and St Mary's in the WCC is in 1st place sole possession of the Pac12  

Last edited by The Dude (2/23/2024 1:29 am)

2/24/2024 6:09 pm  #242

Kentucky leads Alabama 108 to 73 with about half of a half left to go

the Greatest winning % of all time :

Rank  Coach W-L%
1.Mark Few.8349
2.Sam Burton.8333
3.Clair Bee.8244
4.Adolph Rupp.8218
5.John Wooden.8039
6.John Kresse.8012
7.Thomas Kibler.7962
8.Ralph Jones.7918
9.Jerry Tarkanian.7902
10.Al McGuire.7867
11.James Freeman.7830
12.Francis Schmidt.7818
13.Dean Smith.7758
14.Roy Williams.7738
15.Bill Self.7686
16.Mike Krzyzewski.7656
17.John Calipari.7651

Last edited by The Dude (2/25/2024 3:56 am)

2/26/2024 8:05 am  #243

There's not much of a reason to watch Manhattan this year (the Jaspers are in last place in the MAAC currently) but something notable happened in yesterday's matchup against Marist. DeJuan Clayton, a Bowie native, became eligible to play in an eighth year of CBB after previously spending time at Coppin State, Hartford, and California. He ended up scoring 9 points on 3/4 shooting in 10 minutes.

Clayton began playing college basketball during the 2016-17 season. That was the year Mojo was named interim head coach at GW. TyCav was still on the team, and Yuta was just a junior. It's just crazy that he's still eligible to play now (I guess made possible between multiple medical redshirts and the extra COVID year). Clayton did face GW once back in December 2020 when he was still with Coppin, scoring 10 points on 4/14 shooting. GW won that game by 16 points.

2/26/2024 8:44 am  #244

dmvpiranha wrote:

There's not much of a reason to watch Manhattan this year (the Jaspers are in last place in the MAAC currently) but something notable happened in yesterday's matchup against Marist. DeJuan Clayton, a Bowie native, became eligible to play in an eighth year of CBB after previously spending time at Coppin State, Hartford, and California. He ended up scoring 9 points on 3/4 shooting in 10 minutes.

Clayton began playing college basketball during the 2016-17 season. That was the year Mojo was named interim head coach at GW. TyCav was still on the team, and Yuta was just a junior. It's just crazy that he's still eligible to play now (I guess made possible between multiple medical redshirts and the extra COVID year). Clayton did face GW once back in December 2020 when he was still with Coppin, scoring 10 points on 4/14 shooting. GW won that game by 16 points.

DMV, curious if you see limits on eligibility also being ripe for an injunction?  It would seem that any rule that limits athletes to 4 years of eligibility "forecloses them from full access to the marketplace" just the same as any NIL restrictions. It would seem especially true if athletes are found to be employees by the NLRB.  There are work-study positions on campus that are staffed by undergrads and grad students equally.

2/27/2024 12:16 am  #245

GW0509 wrote:

dmvpiranha wrote:

DMV, curious if you see limits on eligibility also being ripe for an injunction?  It would seem that any rule that limits athletes to 4 years of eligibility "forecloses them from full access to the marketplace" just the same as any NIL restrictions. It would seem especially true if athletes are found to be employees by the NLRB.  There are work-study positions on campus that are staffed by undergrads and grad students equally.

I could definitely see eligibility limits being the next point of contention. Prior to COVID, things were set up for student athletes to have five years to play four years of college sports (with the possibility of a redshirt for one of those years) outside of extreme cases. For student athletes that don't want to move on after that point for whatever reason, I could see some pushback (although there has to be a cap at some point).

Personally, I am in favor of changing it to "six years to play five years of college sports" especially with the way the transfer portal is going (maybe a hot take?). An extra year of eligibility gives student athletes an extra chance to prove to scouts that they can play professionally, increases the quality of the CBB product overall with a greater number of older players, and most importantly gives the student athletes a better chance of graduating with all the transferring going on in what's becoming a free-for-all system. That will probably continue to make things tough for high school players to get an opportunity right away, but the ones that grind at lower levels and succeed will get their chance at a bigger program sooner or later.

2/28/2024 6:53 pm  #246

Tremendous slate of games tonight

If you are a huge college basketball fan this is a great time of year to be a fan

24 points for JoeBam as VCU wins by 21

Last edited by The Dude (2/29/2024 12:06 am)

2/29/2024 10:33 pm  #247

Rutgers 82 Michigan 52!

32 Points for Jamison Battle who has carrried Ohio St back to the bubble with his incredible play in recent weeks

Last edited by The Dude (3/01/2024 1:45 am)

3/01/2024 3:14 pm  #248

Not an "other game" but former DeMatha HC Mike Jones was announced as the new HC at Old Dominion.  

There were some rumors that he was considered for the GW job when CC got hired.

3/01/2024 3:58 pm  #249

GW may have considered him. They considered a lot of people for the last 3 job openings. The fact is everyone knows our history and they have had a hard time attracting quality people that would seriously consider GW for the last 8 years or so.

Mike Jones, knowing the DMV basketball scene very very well, did not and would not consider GW for the last 8 years and for the foreseeable future. Why do you think our last 3 coaches have been Mojo, JC and now CC?

3/01/2024 11:28 pm  #250

Loyola Chicago Beats Dayton!!

Loyola isn't quite a bubble team with this Quad 1 win, but they are a darn tough squad, could easily see them winning the A10 Tourney. What a great atmosphere in their gym, excellent addition to the A10 

Holmes is such a great player, this Dayton team can make a deep run in the tourney

First Home win since 1986 for The Ramblers, might be the first time they PLAYED  a ranked team at home, certainly not getting in conference home games in their prior league vs ranked teams the way they can in The A10 now

Last edited by The Dude (3/01/2024 11:29 pm)

3/02/2024 4:28 pm  #251

Creighton blows out Marquette! What a domination. 

3/03/2024 3:26 pm  #252

Not sure I've ever seen a team lose a game the way Ball State did yesterday. That just can't happen, but it's hard not to laugh that it did.

3/03/2024 7:09 pm  #253

Reminds me of how we lost to the USSR in the ‘72 Olympics (although they had to cheat to get the do over  that enabled them to win).

3/04/2024 10:20 am  #254

The Dude wrote:

Creighton blows out Marquette! What a domination. 

Let's offer some background about this.  It began when The Dude became somewhat inexplicably appalled that Shaka Smart would have the nerve to leave the program that he helped build at VCU, along with his not quite $1.6 million compensation, for the University of Texas which offered Shaka $2.8 million to start along with annual raises that brought his pay into the $3.4 million neighborhood.  So much for advancing one's career; The Dude's logic (that's an oxymoron) was that Shaka should appreciate how great he had things in Richmond.  Of course, Shaka underwhelmed on the whole at Texas which must have meant that Shaka suddenly forgot everything he ever knew about coaching.  Shaka moved on to Marquette where he is making $3 million per season, still nearly twice the amount he was earning when he left VCU.  And so, every time that Marquette loses a game, which is not very often, The Dude has to bring it up for no other reason than to feebly attempt he was right about Shaka all along.  He is now 51-14 over the past two seasons in Milwaukee.

But this line, "Creighton blows out Marquette! What a domination" is ludicrous even for The Dude.

Marquette was without two of its three best players.  One is last year's Big East conference player of the year who leads the country in assists this season and is Marquette's second leading scorer this season.  The other is the team's leading rebounder and third leading scorer.  The two lead the team in minutes played this season.

And despite these absences, Marquette trailed Creighton by two points with 4 1/2 minutes left in the game.  Not exactly a "domination" by any sane person's standards.

But this is what The Dude does. Again and again.  And again. 

3/04/2024 10:55 am  #255

Plenty of discussion by the Dude about lots of games but eerily silent about "America's Greatest Coach" this season. Strange. Wonder why that is? Will "America's Greatest Coach" fail to win the mid-major WCC? The WCC is currently ranked 13th behind the Ivy League, Southern Conference, and MVC. Certainly you would expect "America's Greatest Coach" to dominate the 13th best conference in the country.

Last edited by GWRising (3/04/2024 12:25 pm)

3/04/2024 12:44 pm  #256

GWRising wrote:

Plenty of discussion by the Dude about lots of games but eerily silent about "America's Greatest Coach" this season. Strange. Wonder why that is? Will "America's Greatest Coach" fail to win the mid-major WCC? The WCC is currently ranked 13th behind the Ivy League, Southern Conference, and MVC. Certainly you would expect "America's Greatest Coach" to dominate the 13th best conference in the country.

Yes Rising, The Dude knows how to conveniently avoid subjects when things are not going his way.  The Zags were barely mentioned all season until they beat Kentucky.  Not much discussion of the great Leonard Hamilton these past few seasons.  Was surprised that he mentioned UVA's loss but was not at all surprised that he failed to mention that this loss was to DUKE, a program he despises because I guess Coach K went about things the wrong way and now I imagine he can't stand Scheyer as well.

He continues to pollute this board and gets away with it because most people would rather ignore him than call him out on it.  Meanwhile, I recently took my first shot at him in months (which was clearly a joke that prompted your "LMAO" response) and this has since been edited out, undoubtedly because he cried to Barry that his feelings were hurt.

So I'll make my request public...to Barry or to whoever edited my comment, maybe you can talk to Dude about his repetitive posts which are extremely troll-like in that he makes the same points without anyone even questioning his positions.  Should the board be subjected to his purposefully annoying posts?  Like hundreds of posts, as opposed to my one joke?

3/04/2024 4:09 pm  #257

Ditto everything above. Also it’s funny how Dude always starts the thread on our next game (within minutes of previous game finishing so he’s obviously watching) yet never has anything to offer in the thread when GW loses, which has been often the last 2 months. Don’t get me wrong - I like his silence!

3/08/2024 4:48 pm  #258

Pacific had a first half for the ages against Pepperdine yesterday in the first round of the WCC tournament. The Waves outscored the Tigers 56-9 in the first half. Both teams have already fired their coaches but regardless of who is available I feel like you have to try to be as bad as what Pacific was doing out there.

Board footera