GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/30/2023 10:43 pm  #1

Temple

Flushing 30 years of rich A-10 history and rivalries down the toilet for mediocre football TV money and playing men's basketball games against schools from other time zones that nobody gives a shit about? Just wondering.

10/01/2023 6:15 am  #2

Re: Temple

I think it depends on who you ask. I’m not sure that I’d characterize the football money as mediocre. Each AAC school gets $7 million per year from ESPN until 2032. I mean, it’s no P5 deal that’s for sure but it’s the next highest.  So to the admin that’s just looking at the bottom line, getting $7 million per year > any nostalgia of staying in the A10.  I think the basketball-first fans and Temple basketball alumni are probably upset that the program has been destroyed, but clearly they don’t matter when compared to broadcast money.

I’m not sure if you’re on Twitter (and if you’re not I don’t blame you) but there is now a contingent of UMass fans that want to leave the A10 for the same reason: if you’re going to have FBS football, you need to be in a football conference. Rumors are they may look to try and join the MAC or if they’re lucky, the AAC.

Last edited by GW0509 (10/01/2023 7:44 am)

10/01/2023 12:00 pm  #3

I’m sure there is some regret but revenue does matter.
For the basketball purists in Philly they still get a steady diet of the traditional matchups. Temple plays St Joes, La Salle, Penn, Villanova, Drexel regularly.  Those games played at the Polestra carry plenty of tradition to satisfy the local fan base.

10/01/2023 2:16 pm  #4

Short answer; No.
Long answer; Money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money money. No.

10/02/2023 12:39 pm  #5

I think deep down ALL the colleges who leave their long-time conference (Temple, Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse) for football money regret it because the historic rivalries are destroyed and their chances of becoming a "big fish" in a football-crazed conference are slim to none. But GW Alum Abroad summed it up perfectly with his Long answer... money, money, money!! 

As for GW0509's rumor about UMass leaving the A10 for football money, I assume they would jump at the opportunity even if their football program ended up being a punching bag for whatever conference they joined. 

10/02/2023 5:32 pm  #6

UMass football is a punching bag and they don't even have a conference now. It would be a bloodbath if they joined any semi-respectable conference

10/03/2023 8:09 am  #7

gwstudent2024 wrote:

UMass football is a punching bag and they don't even have a conference now. It would be a bloodbath if they joined any semi-respectable conference

I had zero knowledge or insight on UMass football until it was brought up here. I just looked it up and saw they are indeed one of 4 FBS independent schools and are terrible as you pointed out. I always thought UMass played in a lower-tier football conference, similar to Georgetown football. UMass is 1-5 and lost 52-28 at home to Arkansas State in their last game, Arkansas State's freshman QB passed for a school-record 6 touchdown in the loss! I guess it would be more beneficial for UMass to join the AAC and have all of their embarrassing losses televised on one of the big networks (ESPN, Fox, CBS or whoever has the AAC television contract) instead of what they have now!!

10/03/2023 12:58 pm  #8

gwstudent2024 wrote:

I think the powers-that-be could care less about being a punching bag (or even if being a punching bag is a good thing for the health and safety of their students), they care about the Benjamins. Without a conference, umASS football is a money pit, and there is only so much red on the balance sheet a school will put up with. If umASS football goes winless but brings in the ching-ching, no one at umASS will care about the W´s and L´s.
"College sports" is a business now-- and always has been for places like Ohio St and U$C and ´Bama. Better get used to it.

10/03/2023 6:09 pm  #9

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

gwstudent2024 wrote:

I think the powers-that-be could care less about being a punching bag (or even if being a punching bag is a good thing for the health and safety of their students), they care about the Benjamins. Without a conference, umASS football is a money pit, and there is only so much red on the balance sheet a school will put up with. If umASS football goes winless but brings in the ching-ching, no one at umASS will care about the W´s and L´s.
"College sports" is a business now-- and always has been for places like Ohio St and U$C and ´Bama. Better get used to it.

90% agree 
but with conference money they could reinvest in better facilities, coaching staff, and players

10/06/2023 9:25 am  #11

Thomas wrote:

gwstudent2024 wrote:

I had zero knowledge or insight on UMass football until it was brought up here. I just looked it up and saw they are indeed one of 4 FBS independent schools and are terrible as you pointed out. I always thought UMass played in a lower-tier football conference, similar to Georgetown football. UMass is 1-5 and lost 52-28 at home to Arkansas State in their last game, Arkansas State's freshman QB passed for a school-record 6 touchdown in the loss! I guess it would be more beneficial for UMass to join the AAC and have all of their embarrassing losses televised on one of the big networks (ESPN, Fox, CBS or whoever has the AAC television contract) instead of what they have now!!

UMass used to play football at the FCS level (formerly 1AA) where it was relatively successful.  It was a longtime member of the Yankee Conference with most of the other New England state flagships (UConn, URI, UNH, Maine).  The Yankee Conference eventually expanded (mostly south) and has gone through several name and administrative changes.  It was briefly managed by the A-10 before being taken over by the CAA.  This football league today includes both Richmond and URI.

UMass saw UConn make the jump up to Big East football and decided to upgrade to FBS in 2012 joining the MAC.  It initially played many of its games 90+ miles from campus at the Patriots Gillette Stadium.  The team drew very small crowds and eventually stopped playing there after several years.  When Temple left the MAC, an entrance clause for UMass kicked in which required it join the league for all sports (it had mainly been admitted as an eastern partner for Temple). The school did not want all its sports in the Great Lakes region dominated conference and chose to become independent. Since jumping to the FBS level, the program has recorded a record of 22-108 (.170).  Its best season record in that time has been 4-8.

Last edited by TJT85 (10/06/2023 9:25 am)

10/06/2023 11:42 am  #12

Could care less whether Temple regrets the move or not. They made their decision let them live with the consequences. At least for basketball, they didn't understand that it wasn't the Temple brand that made them attractive it was John Chaney. When he left, so did Temple basketball for the most part.

3/08/2024 4:52 pm  #13

And Temple basketball may be taking another hit. Wouldn't be the first point shaving scandal but it's always a surprise when it happens.

https://www.si.com/college/2024/03/08/gambling-watchdog-alerts-unusual-wagering-activity-on-temple-mens-basketball-games

3/08/2024 6:58 pm  #14

dmvpiranha wrote:

And Temple basketball may be taking another hit. Wouldn't be the first point shaving scandal but it's always a surprise when it happens.

https://www.si.com/college/2024/03/08/gambling-watchdog-alerts-unusual-wagering-activity-on-temple-mens-basketball-games

Saw that. And the football team finished tied for last and the men's basketball team is indeed in last. Great job, Temple!

And all the rumors above about UMass to the MAC came true too.

3/08/2024 8:01 pm  #15

Board footera