GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/16/2024 4:24 pm  #201

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal Szn

A combination of encouraging signing with tempered expectations.  Perhaps that's how they all should be.

Welcome to Foggy Bottom, Rafael.

4/17/2024 8:28 am  #202

Take this FWIW, but Evan Miyakawa (who runs a college BB statistical analysis site @ evanmiya.com), seems to think that Castro will be a pretty big upgrade over Stretch on both the offensive and defensive end.  Again, this is not a true apple to apple comparison because Stretch's stats from last year are known and Castro's are a projection based on more playing time.

Stretch
2024 OBPR: -0.02
2024 DBPR: 0.76
2024 BPR: 0.74

Castro
​2025 Estimated OBPR: 0.72
​2025 Estimated DBPR: 1.48
2025 Estimated BPR: 2.25

BPR: Bayesian Performance Rating is the sum of a player’s OBPR and DBPR. This rating is the ultimate measure of a player’s overall value to his team when he is on the floor. BPR is interpreted as the number of points per 100 possessions better than the opponent the player’s team is expected to be if the player were on the court with 9 other average players. A higher rating is better.

Castro is also rated as a 4-star transfer (Max Edwards is considered a 3 star).

Last edited by GW0509 (4/17/2024 8:30 am)

4/17/2024 9:01 am  #203

I think the lesson learned regarding Stretch is that just because one practices for years against future NBA players does not necessarily translate into one being a polished product on the floor.  Stretch arrived with a great attitude and strong instincts to block shots.  However, his game was far more raw than any of us would have liked.  Playing so few minutes at Auburn must have meant that the coaches there weren't diligently working to develop his game.  (With only so many hours in a day, they were more concerned with improving the game of those who were producing, and rightfully so.)

Castro strikes me as being more of an "odd man out" situation where the new coach (English) relied on the star player he was familiar with (Oduro) having coached him before.  Like Zeke and Tyler before him, the strong hope is that Rafael is a "ready-to-play" big man who simply wasn't receiving the minutes he wanted (albeit under different circumstances than in the cases of Zeke or Tyler).

4/17/2024 10:26 am  #204

I think the bigger lesson on Stretch comes from what led to his joining the Revs in the first place and the subsequent roster difficulties that ensued.  I don't know the details or the conversations that went on with Hunter and Noel before they bolted, but obviously it wasn't enough to retain them.  I was more disappointed that they left than I was excited about JB returning.  The end result was the loss of 2 bigs who we watched develop along with JB and Max who had promise.  It was obvious that JB and Max missed them more than we know. There is no doubt in my mind that we would've won 20+ games with 2 bigs who put the work in and were peaking in their college careers.  Time to turn the page.  No need to blame ML.  No need to relegate.  Time to go "portaling" and "NILing."  Lets see a new roster that proves CC can construct and navigate a group of young men to success.  Last years team was a difficult watch.  It can change dramatically with one key transfer which we won't know until after the season starts. CC now gets to put his imprint on this team.  Bring it on.

4/17/2024 11:11 am  #205

4/17/2024 11:29 am  #206

YES! Really really good pickup for us.

Another 4 Star transfer.  Ranked #157 on Evan Miya's site.  

4/17/2024 11:41 am  #207

Looks like a good compliment to Castro, as he appears to be a 3 point threat.  Would also seem to have 2 years of eligibility due to the lost Covid year.

4/17/2024 1:06 pm  #208

With Castro and Hansen coming aboard we now have two scholarship spots still remaining (not counting another possible transfer out).

With that in mind, what positions do you think CC will look for to fill out this team. My guess would be another pure ball handler PG (to back-up Jacoi) and defense first wing. Thoughts?

4/17/2024 1:20 pm  #209

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Looks like a good compliment to Castro, as he appears to be a 3 point threat. Would also seem to have 2 years of eligibility due to the lost Covid year.

Only 1 year of eligibility since Ivy League players don't get an additional year of eligibility from the year they didn't play (which is dumb imo). Also I'm pretty sure we have 3 remaining scholarships, not 2 since Benny is turning pro (https://www.instagram.com/p/C5yZJmgsdsP/?igsh=MWRyNWV5YW12MXVqcQ%3D%3D). It's 13 scholarships for men's basketball, right?

Scholarship players for next year as of now:
Hansen
Harvey
Castro
Johnson
Buchanan
Hutchinson
Autry
Weluche-Ume
Jones
Bevins

4/17/2024 4:30 pm  #210

From Abe Rothstein of WRGW
GW is certainly not done in the transfer portal.

Starting out with commitments from bigs, several guards have been visiting Foggy Bottom in recent days.

Includes William and Mary transfer Trey Moss (13.5 PPG) + Iowa transfer Dasonte Bowen who started 8 games for the Hawkeyes

https://x.com/rothsteinabe/status/1780657358319845743?s=46&t=ANqnS1ftDRRcDZpDPJzjtg

4/17/2024 5:28 pm  #211

4/17/2024 6:19 pm  #212

I love the fact that he’s recruiting his teammates and seems to already be looking how to make the team better.  Seems like a great get!

4/18/2024 9:08 am  #213

4/18/2024 10:52 am  #214

I've been a Providences fan for many years but also follow GW, as my daughter is a graduate. Just wanted to shed some light on Castro, since I've seen him many times. He will be, by virtue of his height, a presence up front, Nice shot blocker and can help with rebounds. His lack of progress in his years at PC was frustrating. Every off season we'd hear about how good he looked in practice and how he looked stronger. The kid is very thin and couldn't defend any talented Big East forwards.. I just wouldn't count on him for much offensive game., especially away from the hoop. He honestly has the worst hands of any major player I've ever seen. Many times, he had easy feeds, but couldn't finish. Perhaps he will help more against A10 competition. I do help he succeeds at that level, as he works very hard and was, by all accounts, a good teammate.

4/18/2024 11:24 am  #215

ri777 wrote:

I've been a Providences fan for many years but also follow GW, as my daughter is a graduate. Just wanted to shed some light on Castro, since I've seen him many times. He will be, by virtue of his height, a presence up front, Nice shot blocker and can help with rebounds. His lack of progress in his years at PC was frustrating. Every off season we'd hear about how good he looked in practice and how he looked stronger. The kid is very thin and couldn't defend any talented Big East forwards.. I just wouldn't count on him for much offensive game., especially away from the hoop. He honestly has the worst hands of any major player I've ever seen. Many times, he had easy feeds, but couldn't finish. Perhaps he will help more against A10 competition. I do help he succeeds at that level, as he works very hard and was, by all accounts, a good teammate.

That is good info to have...thanks for sharing.  Looking at his stats, the part that concerned me (just from looking at numbers) is his FT%.  41.9% last season, and 47.5% for his career.  I imagine that he won't be able to stay on the court at the end of games when we're ahead if he can't be more consistent at the line.

Hansen was a 60% FT shooter last year, somewhat better but still weak.  I want to be optimistic with these two signings, but I have my concerns for sure.

4/18/2024 11:32 am  #216

ri777 wrote:

He honestly has the worst hands of any major player I've ever seen. Many times, he had easy feeds, but couldn't finish.

I take it you didn't watch much Babatunde Akingbola?

4/18/2024 12:53 pm  #217

GW0509 wrote:

ri777 wrote:

He honestly has the worst hands of any major player I've ever seen. Many times, he had easy feeds, but couldn't finish.

I take it you didn't watch much Babatunde Akingbola?

Saw similar reviews of Castro online.  Hopeful CC and staff will help with his shortcomings.

4/18/2024 12:57 pm  #218

Hansen started 30 games for a very good Cornell team which played 10 guys every game. If he contributes more with 5-10 minutes more he’s valuable. The Providence kid is a more athletic big than the Auburn kid, but still raw. The combination of the 2 should be a plus. There’s more to come.

4/18/2024 5:21 pm  #219

[url][/url]

4/18/2024 5:51 pm  #220

We’re so back

Board footera