GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/17/2024 8:51 am  #1

The Road Ahead for GW and CC

At this point the events of 2016 are becoming pretty far in the rearview mirror

Were they impacting the basketball program three or five years ago?  .... of course so

It's time to move forward though we're now almost 8 years removed from the summer of 2016 when the program took a big turn with the departure of ML

Was he to blame what's the athletic department of blame was pointless then it's pointless now it did a obvious impact on the program for many years.  The point is he was no longer the coach and PN was no longer AD. 8 years is enough crying. I feel like Vito Corleone you can act like a man!!! Lol

At this point CC should be able to move the program forward. I'm not saying that the fallout is zero it still has fallout.  It took decades for the Chernobyl fallout to resolve I think one decade tops for the 2016 events is plenty enough

In the next decade will have a fresh start.  Time to start winning some more games... big year ahead for CC. 

Some of the recruiting has been outstanding but there are some concerns obviously losing that many games in a row is a bit concerning but I don't know if it really means the future isn't bright I think the future remains very bright for CC

But we got to get those results on the court in years 3 and 4

4/24/2024 11:15 pm  #2

Re: The Road Ahead for GW and CC

Two big years ahead, I am on team CC 100%, I think he's laying great tracks but the wins need to come and I do believe they are coming and coming in the next 2 years

What's a realistic goal for the next 2 years in terms of

record ....and NET ranking??

4/25/2024 8:43 am  #3

Not sure about NET but there a few key points I'd like to see this year and next:
24-25: Above .500, Kenpom above 150, win 1 A-10 tournament game (not including play-in round)
25-26: 20 wins, Kenpom around 100, top 6 in A-10, win 2 A-10 tournament games (I don't think this has been done in over a decade)
Progress isnt linear but I think if we can somehow keep the young core together and add a few pieces as needed each year these are reasonable goals. The biggest thing for me is winning some games in the tournament, since I started following the team my freshman year in 2019 I have only bad memories of the tournament with the only win coming in what was possibly one of the worst basketball games I've ever seen when we played Fordham in the play-in game of the COVID season. I most notably remember getting embarrassed by Umass after they fired McCall then preceded to drop nearly 100 on us when we were playing what was effectively a home game at Capital One. I was out on Jamion after that.

4/25/2024 9:28 am  #4

Looking ahead more than one year doesn't make a whole lot of sense in the current transfer era. Who knows what the team will even look like a year from now? It should all be about the coming year.

Team record and NET ranking look at results rather than process. Of course they are important (it will be easier to quantify those after seeing completed league rosters and the schedule for the upcoming year - I more or less agree with what Ryan said as benchmarks) but at this point I'm looking to see the "small" things improve. If they do, I think results/improved metrics will take care of themselves.

To start, can next year's team play competent defense? That includes closing out on shots along the perimeter without fouling, staying with the opposition on drives, generating pressure, and finishing missed shots by the opposition with a rebound. It feels like it has been a decade since GW was even respectable on this side of the ball. GW has to improve there first and foremost in order to improve to the level we all want to see. It would be nice to be known for something outside of just being a team that doesn't foul a lot.

Under CC, the offense has been decent but in both years the scoring wasn't balanced. In year 1, interior scoring was strong while three point shooting was spotty. Last year, GW finished better outside the arc while struggling inside the lane. There needs to be equal ability both inside and out this year (includes scoring from the post), and the team needs to move the ball better. GW was one of the worst assist-generating teams for much of the year although things improved a bit at the end of the year. Can that carry over to this year? As talented as JB/Max were, the team honestly played the best together when it was the freshmen playing so I'm glad that we were able to keep the core together for now.

4/25/2024 11:55 am  #5

Win total matters less, since that's contingent on SOS,  but the NET has to climb and I think it will

Targeted Goal  is my question I guess, where would you like GW to be, roughly speaking in the NET in 1-2 years....

Last edited by The Dude (4/25/2024 11:55 am)

4/25/2024 12:16 pm  #6

There is no more building a program with roster continuity at least at GW. Each year will be a different roster with some but not all carry-over regardless of class. Impossible to keep more than 8-9 guys remotely happy in this environment and even then some of the 8-9 will leave for greener NIL pastures or more playing time no matter what. This is the new age of mercenary basketball. As dmvpiranha states ... one year at a time.

Last edited by GWRising (4/25/2024 12:18 pm)

4/30/2024 8:27 am  #7

Lets goooooo!

Here comes the turnaround.  Year 3, and really year 4 I predict

5/04/2024 8:38 am  #8

I think CC is going to win big in the next 3 years and then bolt for a bigger job

I'd take it

Your thoughts??

5/04/2024 10:41 pm  #9

Its only happened once in the last 30+ years, and it didn’t work out that well for Jarvis. So if I was a betting man, I’d bet against it. But depending on what you mean by “win big,” yeah, I’d take it.

5/04/2024 11:35 pm  #10

Karl Hobbs did not win big at GW??

Yesterday 6:14 pm  #11

He didn't bolt for a bigger job (though he turned down Cincinnati IIRC)

Today 11:15 am  #12

Sustained success at the just short of Power 5 level means making a sustained period of good hires (VCU, Xavier, Dayton) or holding on to someone for the long haul (Richmond, Davidson, Gonzaga).

Given our resource limitations and what seems like the difficult restrictions coaches face with admissions, facility scheduling, etc., I think we're going to need to be the type of place where coaches stick around 2-3 years and leave a decent cupboard for the next coach up. Let them come in full of energy and passion, get to a tournament, and get to the next place where there's an actual infrastructure to work with before they burn out.

That means Tanya and Pres. Granberg need to know exactly what they want (and who they can afford) when the time comes to make a hire to keep as many players as possible out of the transfer portal in the same way that Kim English was able to keep Oduro around at Mason.

Board footera