GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/10/2019 3:35 am  #1

We made the top 100!

KenPom ranks all NCAA programs with data from 1997 to now.  GW comes in at #97.  There are some head-scratchers (Utah State at #81?) and seems to favor big conferences, but broadly fair with with where we sit considering the successes of the teams around us.

Last edited by BM (8/10/2019 3:36 am)

8/10/2019 8:23 am  #2

Re: We made the top 100!

Good find! Not entirely surprised we made the top 100 list (based on the history of the AP poll, we actually rank #88 in the nation), but I think it does show that the general public views a team based on "what have you done for me lately?" Most people view GW overall as more of a team from the past couple years than what it has been in the past. Hopefully JC can get us relevant again. Obviously this coming year the expectations aren't too high, but I have read posts online that mention GW as the team to kick out of the A10 if they go with fewer teams in the future which I think is ridiculous. We were just in the top 25 four seasons ago! It is also understandable why we currently sit the way we do. Can you imagine how we would have ranked on the KenPom list if you take out just last year? We were 7th in the current A10 on the list above (which shows it's an above average job in the league) and taking last year out we might be as high as 5th.

Although GW was rated the 9th best job by coaches in the conference in an article released by Goodman last year, I think the ceiling could be higher if we can find a way to pump more money into the program (financials seemed to be the biggest complaint). I do see the administration appearing to commit a bit more to basketball, and the daily twitter videos from gw_mbb definitely do increase the excitement. 

Interesting that we sit above teams like Richmond (although they have been mediocre, I feel we haven't been able to beat them consistently for a while now), and St. Bonaventure (Schmidt has really turned the perception of that program around). Also UMass seems a bit high, and riding off Calipari's success.

Not too surprised by Utah State, they have been historically a pretty strong program (between 1997-2011, they made the NCAA tournament 9 times). They didn't really stand out while Duryea was head coach for a few years, but Craig Smith was an outstanding hire from South Dakota, lead them back to the tournament in his first year (maybe JC can do it for us - wishful thinking I know!), and I would be stunned if they didn't win the Mountain West again this year with Musselman gone from Nevada and Fresno State losing some key guys. 

Last edited by dmvpiranha (8/10/2019 8:24 am)

8/10/2019 3:32 pm  #3

It’s a fickle list.  What if KenPom goes back a further five years and adds a few more of the best of the Jarvis era?  Richmond was a regular giant killer and a solid team during the Beilein years in the early part of the 1997-2019 period.  I have to admit I don’t know much about Utah State’s glory years although I suspect they built up gaudy records feasting on crappy mountain zone teams a la New Mexico.

On somewhat of a side note, I do see some evidence of more financial commitment to basketball (e.g., Coach Omidvar’s long recruiting trip to Europe and the aforementioned weekly video productions), but I suspect we won’t see the best of it until the administration sees some results in terms of butts in seats (or online views).

8/11/2019 7:34 am  #4

Enjoy that data and agree that if you could go back even a couple more years, it would be very good for us. 

But what’s also impressive is that we are 97 with both the Mojo debacle and the Hobbs implosion factored in.  Imagine where we would have been without those two drastic declines, or at least if the school had reacted more quickly once it was clear where we were headed.

Btw, on Bona, they had the welding scandal that dropped them down for years.  URI also has the Harrick implosion where they became a 300ish team for a few years.  But that was one implosion, while we had two (or one and a half, because the bad Hobbs years were more like 175 or so than the near-300 of Mojo and those other programs).

8/11/2019 10:24 am  #5

Also like current A-10 teams in top 100 and 11 in top 120.  Speaks very highly of our conference.  Let’s hope both GW and A-10 can turn around recent shortcomings.

8/11/2019 10:25 am  #6

Make that 8 A-10 teams in top 100

8/11/2019 12:40 pm  #7

Mojo and Hobbs both did very well by the University. 
Calling the last few years "The Mojo debacle" is a ridiculous slight to Mojo.  Mojo did as well as could have been asked of him, put in a ridiculous situation.  Recruited some good players in the worst of circumstances. 

On to the Jamion Christian era.

Last edited by The Dude (8/11/2019 12:53 pm)

8/11/2019 1:28 pm  #8

I disagree Dude bc after the interim year GW could have acknowledged his lack of experience and moved. Put another way saying Mojo was adequate is to imagine that no other coach with his general resume characteristics could have done better. he was put in tough spot I agree to say no one could reasonably expected better I disagree. He was given a big chance in ugly circumstances and he didn’t do it

Last edited by FredD (8/11/2019 1:30 pm)

8/11/2019 3:29 pm  #9

I like MoJo as a person and as a representative of the University.  He carried on in tough circumstances but it was easily seems he was in over his head at this level.  Other coaches would make adjustments and he could not react.  It is not his fault it was a debacle but let’s not let our personal feelings for a good person obscure the fact that is was several years of being overmatched in the A-10 both in coaching and personnel.

8/11/2019 4:39 pm  #10

Dude...sum up for us the on the  court positives under Mojo because I really can’t think of any.   Last years team was the worst we fielded since 1988-1989.

8/12/2019 5:12 am  #11

A-10 rankings isolated here.  Couple of things stand out to me:  Half the league bunched between #91 (Davidson) and #104 (UMass); Fordham needs to commit or leave.

Last edited by BM (8/12/2019 5:13 am)

8/12/2019 8:36 am  #12

Thanks for that link BM, I had to paste the entire chart here because of how detailed it is. So according to this data, GW's best team since 1997 was the 2004-2005 team, not the 2005-2006 team that only lost  2 or 3 games?? I'm assuming the OOC wins that the 04-05 team had over Maryland and Michigan State played a role in why this is? It's interesting that GW, UMass and St.Joe's had their worst years this past season. 

You guys need to check out the comments/replies to the Dayton fan who posted this on twitter. Some Dayton fans debating whether they should move to the Big East, some people taking shots at George Mason for not being able to capitalize(in terms of wins, I believe enrollment and campus facilities received a huge boost) on the 2006 Final 4 run, UMass fans asking why this went back to 1997 which is a year after the most successful/Calipari run in program history and of course...Why Is Fordham So Bad!!!

8/12/2019 10:59 am  #13

This is why no matter how hard you attempt to objectively quantify the process, things like rankings and ratings will always be open to scrutiny due to subjective factors.  Clearly, the 04-05 teams gets rewarded for big OOC wins as well as winning the A10 tournament.  The 05-06 team played an incredibly soft schedule (in a down conference year) and lost its opening A10 tournament game.  Now, if the 04-05 team were to play a best of 7 against the 05-06 team, who do you have winning that series?  Does the 04-05 team even win a single game? 

8/12/2019 12:58 pm  #14

Mojo had an opportunity that most would die for. He didn't step up and take advantage of the situation. GW shouldn't be hiring coaches and paying them for being nice, but rather to win. 
Everyone knows why he won the 1st year at the helm. He was fired because the team continued to drop.
Let the new era begin. 
Nice to have a message board again without all the crap from before.

8/12/2019 2:02 pm  #15

I realize why this starts in 1997. 
That being said, would be eager to see what the list would look like if it didn't cut off some our greatest success, 1993 1994 1995 and 1996.

8/12/2019 2:07 pm  #16

Also, wow, look at St. Joe's in 2004.   WOW.
A mere 15 years later, another Jameer Nelson returns to the A10.

Board footera