GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/08/2020 2:05 pm  #21

Re: GW vs Rhode Island Game Thread

Boy,  do we have some bad players. Recruiting is the key. Hey, we broke 50.  RECRUIT people that can play basketball. 

2/08/2020 2:07 pm  #22

Not a good game - with basically our starting lineup out with injuries though - any news on Potter? And Toro?? I didn’t even see AT on bench?? Too bad - they looked great against DAVIDSON and then the injuries. On to the next one.
P.S.  really like URI style of play under the new coach - no comparison to the previous - they will be a contender for A10 title for sure

Last edited by GW Fan (2/08/2020 2:10 pm)

2/08/2020 3:00 pm  #23

I don't gamble any more and I certainly would not bet against GW.  However, when I saw the players line up for the anthem with Potter and Harris in street clothes--and Toro no where to be found--I couldn't think of a better betting opportunity in my lifetime than Rhode Island giving 9.  And I don't think Rhode Island ever truly went into their highest gear.  We were simply out-manned.

Will have to look at GW's history to see when we suffered such a loss at home.  I can't recall any by MORE than 30 in the last 40 years--although 30 on the nose may have happened. 

At least Yuta was at the game for a nice cheer.   

Last edited by Merrick (2/08/2020 3:01 pm)

2/08/2020 3:08 pm  #24

Pretty much the same storyline like the previous two games. Dug ourselves into a hole early on, mounted a comeback to reduce the deficit to a few points, then pretty much lost all composure after that. Another really bad matchup for us.

Offense: Thought our ball screens were effective at times, and we actually finished with more assists than the Rams. They clearly scouted JNJ's game very well, and denied him from getting clean looks both getting into the lane and passing the ball. It's games like these where I question the high percentage of shots from 3 that JC wants to do. Yes, future teams will have more shooters and we should be better shooting the ball, but it limits a team's ceiling because there will be games like today where nothing falls and you get blown out. Credit the Rams for denying the three as that's key to stopping us. We were successful going inside with it, and I have no idea why we went away from that during the game.

Defense: I will say we did a bit better in the paint, but still there was no pressure that took URI out of their game, and their guards easily were able to get the shots they wanted. Fatts making six threes felt a lot like the Fordham game - yes, many were deep, but at some point you need to close in on the shooter more. Defense needs to improve a lot - we are playing good teams, but when offense isn't going well you need to continue to put together stops on the other end. Defense has been horrendous since really the Fordham game. We may not be talented right now but defense is all about effort.

Player Breakdown:
Jamison - probably his worst game of the season, but there are a lot of learning experiences he can take from it. He did have good moments boxing out on D and pulling down some rebounds, but was a bit sloppier with the ball than usual - 4 turnovers is out of character for him as he is usually very sound with the ball. Shots weren't falling from 3, and given that we actually managed to get URI in foul trouble during the game, probably should have spent more time at the line where he's really good. 

Chase - I thought he had a decent game all things considered, and limited Langevine the best he could. He had a strong take in the first half which was denied, but it was nice to see somewhat of a progression in his skillet offensively. Most of his baskets are assisted right near the rim, so seeing him take it to the hoop himself was nice to see even if it didn't work out. He made both his free throws as well, and showed some rim protection skills with a couple blocks.

Shawn - was a bit sloppy with the ball at stretches, but probably had the best game of a GW player today. He shows great patience finishing near the hoop, and got to the line 8 times which is a plus. Made some nice passes as well. Even though this team is clearly injured, glad he is getting the opportunity to showcase his skills on the court. He definitely gives us another ball handling option in the future.

JNJ - as mentioned, URI scouted him really well. He held his turnovers in check in the first half, but unfortunately lost composure after halftime and coughed the ball up seven times in total. Even his threes were deep and contested. Nice to see him fare a bit better from the line. He has improved as a passer over the course of the season and is a willing rebounder which will help moving forward. I think him watching film of Fatts, another Philadelphia kid, may be beneficial to growing his game long term.

Maceo - was actually pretty good defensively today. His steal of an inbounds play was one of the highlights in a game where there were few, and he finished with four steals total today. Unfortunately, wasn't able to put it together on the other end today. Many of his threes were not shot in rhythm and deep leading to a lot of front rims. Again, when he's a good FT shooter like Jamison and URI is in foul trouble, why settle for so many threes?

Ace - was a step slow at times defensively, but again did a solid job of providing energy on the offensive end. While we probably shouldn't be playing him such long minutes (speaks to the current team's health) I like the jolt he gives the team in 10 minute stretches. Had some real nice moments in the first half, including a finish in traffic.

Mezie - nice midrange shot made in garbage time, but I think it speaks volumes that on a banged up team, he didn't enter until midway through the second half.

Luke - wish we had got him a cleaner look to launch his jumper.

Adam - gave us some nice minutes as well today. He had to play by default with Shawn in foul trouble, and Armel + Amir out but his pass to Ace for the dunk showed good vision. If only one of his threes fell.

This team has a mini "break" with the next game a week from today against Mason, game 2 of the revolutionary rivalry. I still think that game is winnable, but it will require the team to get a lot healthier and show better effort on the defensive end. Not that anyone really cares about tournament seeding, but owning the tiebreak with Mason could be huge in terms of us dodging the play-in game. Armel appears close to being on his way back given the headlines entering the URI game, and giving him the extra week to heal up is probably the right decision. While I still have hesitations of how we'll run our offense next year (at least early on) without him, it will be helpful to have him at least the rest of the year. Concerned about AT - he has clearly not been fully healthy since the early part of the season, but not even being on the bench strikes greater concern. Is Amir injured again? His defense was missed today. Juice and Javier are hopefully on their way back as well. Long term, I still really like our freshman class (great pieces to build around for the future) but today showed that there's no getting around the fact that we still have some empty weight on the roster that is additionally injured right now.

2/08/2020 3:46 pm  #25

Looks like the Colonials are in free-fall without Potter. That's three blowouts in a row.
Without him they don't have a chance against Mason. The Fordham game at home might be the last win of the season....I reiterate "might be".
I knew we were thin at PG but didn't know we were that thin.

2/08/2020 3:51 pm  #26

trops_fc wrote:

"So this is what rock bottom looks like"

Where's Toro indeed!!!!

2/08/2020 4:11 pm  #27

I remember back in the 1-27, we were down to few players, but I think we only had 6 scholarship players available (and four of them were freshman and one was Mezzie).   I think that’s the thinnest team I can ever recall - again, I think surpassing the 1-27 after 3 guys were suspended. 

The funniest thing at the game was some bitter, angry fan near me who kept yelling “GW, look at the scoreboard@ as if the issue was that we just weren’t trying hard enough.   We barely could field a lineup or scholarship players today and this idiot is getting angry.  Unfortunately the players we throw out there today have no shot to compete with an NCAA tourney level team (especially one who’s weaknesses are not things we match up well with).

2/08/2020 4:21 pm  #28

Today tied for our largest point margin loss in the Smith Center.
Following are GW's largest home losses going back to the 1949-50 season.

February 7, 2020 82-51 to Rhode Island (31)
March 4, 2000:  98-67 to #5 Temple (31)
February 21, 2002:89-59 to Dayton (30)
December 3,1988, 94-64 to Georgia Tech (30)
January 18, 1988, 92-61 to Rhode Island (31)

Fort Meyer
January 13, 1962, 120-68 to West Virginia (52)
December 4, 1968 84-53 to Maryland (31)

Last edited by Merrick (2/08/2020 4:27 pm)

2/08/2020 6:25 pm  #29

For Quebec, I was thinking about the 1-27year and a low point was when Max Blank, who was injured, had to limp on to the court so we would have five players.

2/08/2020 7:29 pm  #30

RobSmithoasas wrote:

Looks like the Colonials are in free-fall without Potter. That's three blowouts in a row.
Without him they don't have a chance against Mason. The Fordham game at home might be the last win of the season....I reiterate "might be".
I knew we were thin at PG but didn't know we were that thin.

He never struck me as that important. Why was he so valuable?

2/08/2020 7:31 pm  #31

And where the hell was Toro? When someone's not even on the bench, that's a red flag.

2/08/2020 7:44 pm  #32

For the last three games, we have watched bigger, stronger, taller players dominate the low post. We have been out rebounded easily. Many players score easy baskets against GW. Typical strategy to increase rebounding and cut down on easy bunny baskets is to employ a 2-3match up zone. Could Syracuse, Temple and Louisville be coached inappropriately while they use these defenses?  Maryland last night made a come back against Illinois using a second half zone. A coaching staff that says”we never play zone” better have superior players. Can anyone guess how Brown University beat URI this year?

2/08/2020 8:09 pm  #33

Hurley left Rhode Island with a very full cupboard and they whooped us, predictably.

They are 18-5 and a top 40 KenPom team for a reason.

He'll do even better at UCONN in time.

2/08/2020 8:38 pm  #34

Cutis wrote:

For the last three games, we have watched bigger, stronger, taller players dominate the low post. We have been out rebounded easily. Many players score easy baskets against GW. Typical strategy to increase rebounding and cut down on easy bunny baskets is to employ a 2-3match up zone. Could Syracuse, Temple and Louisville be coached inappropriately while they use these defenses?  Maryland last night made a come back against Illinois using a second half zone. A coaching staff that says”we never play zone” better have superior players. Can anyone guess how Brown University beat URI this year?

We have as much of a chance running zone as Jim Boeheim does running man-to-man.  It's just not what JC does.

2/08/2020 9:52 pm  #35

The Dude wrote:

Hurley left Rhode Island with a very full cupboard and they whooped us, predictably.

They are 18-5 and a top 40 KenPom team for a reason.

He'll do even better at UCONN in time.

Really? His UCONN teams have been terrible. All three A-10 wunderkinds in Shaka Smart, Dan Hurley and Archie Miller haven't done very well since they left the league.

2/08/2020 10:19 pm  #36

Why play zone or alter strategy when we're doing so well?
Offensively, we were down to 9 percent 3 point shooting with a minute or two to go. But that was a generous roundoff. Looks like 8.7 percent, 2 for 23. Living by 3 pointers may be a bit tricky when doing this. Plus side: shot about 74 percent from the line.
  Wonder, besides injuries, what other factor might have led to such a depleted roster?

2/09/2020 7:32 am  #37

If Noel Brown has been watching, he knows he will be getting plenty of time next year!  Will be nice to have another big man.

2/09/2020 8:50 am  #38

Perhaps this is a good time for my annual re-telling of my favorite Twilight Zone...the one that to me best describes the plight of being a GW Fan.   This is the episode where the German U-boat commander sinks a passenger ferry, then as his own private hell  is doomed for all of eternity to be a passenger on that same ship, knowing the ship is doomed but being completely powerless to stop it from happening.  In any event, it is time to add a little perspective to the last 3 games, all of which can be charitabaly described as blowout losses.    We cannot compete with the top of the league...we are just not good enough.   It was like "A" league teams playing against a "B" league team.   We are not fast enough, strong enough or talented enough to complete with these teams, at least not yet  Surpise wins over mid-level A-10 teams Mason and Davidson may have deluded us into thinking otherwise, but we are just not ready to be competitve.    URI was a non-starter, without either Potter or Harris in the lineup (although it would have nice to see Potter rather than Jameer guarding Fatts).  (I would add the caveat that we were also without Toro, Juice and Javy, but the coach has made it clear that those 3 are not in the short or long term plasn for GW and likely would have seen limited minutes in a competitive game even if healthy).   But starting 4 frosh against an NCAA quality team is just not going to be pretty, and the fact that we were missing certain players does not obviate the poor play of those in the game.  Players like Battle, Nelson, Chase and Walker all appear to be nice players who may very well be the building blocks for the future, but URI, Richmond and St. Bonaventure really exposed the huge holes in all of their games that will need to be fixed as their games evolve over the next year or two, but none of them are ready for prime time against the big boys.  It is painful to watch, but we should take comfort in the fact  that for the first time in years, the program is trending upwards, as these frosh improve and more help seems to be on the way for next season.    So, as the conference season grinds on, I will endure the beatings but take solace in 2 things....first the approaching end of the season will provide a degree of releif rather than the depression of being without Colonial basketball for nearly 8 months; and that second the start of the Kenner League is now less than 5 months away.  Notwithstanding, as we face such unenviable matchups such as Dayton and VCU on the road, I would  like to see some growth and impovement from the team for the rest of the season...something that seems to have gounded to a halt these past 3 games.  

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (2/09/2020 9:44 am)

2/09/2020 10:48 am  #39

You might never know it from the final score, or even from the halftime score, but there was a point in time when this game actually was competitive.  Trailing 20-9, here's what GW did over the subsequent 90 seconds or so:

Ace found Shawn for a nice mid-range jump shot (am hoping Shawn does not have to run sprints today for attempting a mid-range jump shot)

JNJ led a fastbreak which resulted in Shawn finishing off an old fashioned three point play

Ace put in a nice jumper in the paint

Maceo got fouled taking the ball to the hole and sank both free throws.

Just like that, 20-18 URI.

This was followed by an 8 1/2 minute span where GW was outscored 17-0.  In this span, GW committed 4 turnovers and shot 0-10 from the floor.  Of these ten shots, seven of them were three point attempts.

Let's recap, to get back into the game, aggressive play, a fast break, not a single three point attempt.  To define the period when the game was lost, 70% of the field goal attempts were from 3.  All of the aggression disappeared.  Most of those threes were contested.

Now, let's also add that while running guys off of the three point line is what JC coined his "mayhem" this season, this has been a way of life for URI for a while now.  They are holding opponents to 28.2% shooting from 3 this year, tops in the conference.  (At 31.1%, GW ranks 6th in this conference category.)

This was not a game where GW should have taken 23 attempts from 3.  Yes, succeeding on only two of these shots bears this out but so does the fact that when GW moved away from this strategy, they clawed their way back into the game.  I realize that we were the ones with a major deficiency in talent yesterday so I'm not suggesting that this game could have ultimately been won by GW no matter what the team tried.  However, I am finding that JC comes into any game saying that his team will do what he perceives they do well (or at least, how he wants them to play) and if the other team is better or figures things out, so be it.  This is why there are no zone defenses.  This is why we will shoot a lot of 3's no matter how strong the defense is at defending them.  It's like having a tell in poker.  You become that much more easy to beat.

I hope the coaching staff will take a look at the running play-by-play of this game.  They will see what I was realizing in real time.  For 90 seconds or so, we went away from what we normally do and it through the Rams for a loop.  And once GW got back into the game, it reverted back to old habits, or the game plan as it were, and proceeded to get blown out.  Playing without Armel, AT, Amir, Juice and Javier already put the inferior team at a grave disadvantage.  Playing without much flexibility from a coaching perspective only hurt matters even more. 

2/09/2020 11:00 am  #40

FWIW...a 2/3 zone is likely to give up more offensive rebounds, not less.  That’s  due to spacing on the court and the increased difficulty in boxing out.  It could help cut down on easier baskets inside but leaves you susceptible to the 3.  I think JC coaching philosophy is make a lot of 3s, give up few.

Board footera