GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/07/2020 6:06 pm  #1

Toro and Players Who Give Their All For GW

Want to approach a delicate practical/moral topic in a respectful way, as BGF ask.
Many of us were and still to some extent are excited about the coaching change.
We have fresh hope beyond the abyss and think everyone is pretty charitable about our losses, including
recent bad ones. Still some bright spots for the future.
 But if we didn't discuss--and even second guess--what happens on the court, this would be a most unusual fan board. 
Want to then posit a question, apart from X's and 0's, though performance is also a major factor. The question is are 
we treating some of JC's inherited players the right way, both as a practical issue in winning games and a moral issue of who we are and the values we traditionally have had for Colonial basketball. 
This involves, Arnaldo, Mazz and even Armel, though could make arguments for a couple more.
 We kind of glossed over Mazz being pushed out in mid-semester--not even midseason, which was odd for any non-disciplinary problem. Mazz was a good student and great civic volunteer. And selfishly, a hard-nosed player who could have helped us in a number of games.
   Now to Toro. Toro sacrificed his body last year for GW, playing with pain in the maximum amount of games before losing a redshirt to help GW. He probably plays in pain in the few minutes he plays now.  He stayed with GW when presumably he had other options. That's the moral argument.
Basketball wise, he's been quite effective for the most part as a rebounder. Including tying Yinka's record with an amazing 20 point, 24 rebound performance against AU this year. He does seems to have problems finishing around the basket, but Chase has weaknesses too and neither him nor anyone else on the team is anywhere near the rebounder Arnaldo is.
And we just lost a game to St. Bonaventure--not Duke, The Bonnies-- in good part by being outrebounded by a stunning 2 to 1 margin. Toro played in garbage time. Just two games ago, he literallly was a huge hero. Being benched for the whole game and first overtime, too. When Chase, who is a good find with good potential, clearly couldn't cut it. Arnaldo saved the day. Not far from a double-double in limited overtime minutes. We don't win that four overtime game without Toro. Simple as that.
His reward soon after: being glued to bench except for a cameo appearance and basically playing with the walkons as we get the snot beat out of us, exploited on the boards.
  With Armel, he was deep-sixed to start the season (remember Shawn's inexplicable something like 38 minutes) and would have been for the year. Those who know more can even add to this feeling. Potter didn't play  a lot until JC was desperate at point and we were about to be humiliated even more in our out of conference season. All of sudden, he is a savior, playing virtually and at times even literally about every minute. We are hapless in our two full games without Potter who clearly didn't fit in with the coaching staff's plans this year.
   Since the only argument for not playing Toro seems to be developmental, even if costs games, it would seem to be contradicted by Armel's playing so much. Personally, I think we were over-reliant on him to the development of younger players. What does Armel being sidelined for a fair amount at the start of the season--and then becoming our absolute key player mean about the coaching staff's ability to judge the talent they have.
   So, are we treating dedicated and still comparatively effective players in the best way that demonstrated what should be GW's moral values? Or if this is not important, basketball-wise, are we using all of our players who can contribute for even a couple of normal minutes so our shooters, both in FT's and particularly 3 pointers are not falling a bit short because of tired legs?
Understand the need for development, but there are minutes available for everyone remotely healthy who can contribute a bit this year. Have we found the right balance to win at least some games and not be whipped on the court, while moving toward the future?
   As outlined, I'm bit uneasy about what we are doing in terms of good players and guys and our performance on the court. Let it go with Mazz, but unless Arnaldo has some hidden injury where he can only play at the end of games, the Toro thing doesn't seem like a good way to treat a player who has sacrificed much. And who has and can contribute much this year. So I wanted to put it out there and point these things out and ask these questions. Don't think we help the program we all presumably love and support by blind support of everything that happens, 
 No doubt will regret this, but others have noted the Toro thing is not a good look for us. Even if he starts tomorrow, anyone's head would have been messed with in this situation.
Feel we should be able to have these conversations as fans and supporters on a GW basketball message board. Hope for, if not thoughtful, at least respectful replies.

2/07/2020 7:28 pm  #2

Re: Toro and Players Who Give Their All For GW

JF, first, I have absolutely no issue with intelligent discussion.  The line is crossed for me when you (well, anyone) insult(s) another poster, a player, or anyone for that matter as people.  Personal attacks are where my line lives, but saying one player should start and another should sit, it's a message board.  Discuss away.

I will offer my take, because I tend to be perceived as an apologist whenever decisions are questioned.  I look at coaching decisions as I do business and nonprofit leaders.  Leading is tough and every decision could be the right or wrong one, but that's why we hire highly qualified people to do these jobs.  When we parse out a single decision, especially one for which we don't have all of the information (even if someone indicates they do), and say that JC or any leader is doing a bad job, I just can't agree. 

That's not to say that leader is in fact doing a good job, but only that I look at a leader's role holistically.  One decision affects another, and so on.   Evaluate based upon the criteria set, which in JC's case I imagine includes success on the court and off the court, and also cannot be evaluated effectively on a game-to-game basis.

So, I certainly wonder about Toro's playing time, but I just won't voice if the decision is a good or bad one, because I'm not fully informed nor should I be.  I'll just look at the team as a whole, look at the results, and continue to cheer them on.  

So, call me wishy washy, but I'll just say #RaiseHigh. 

Barry

2/10/2020 12:36 pm  #3

Everyone still good with the explanations we've been handed here?  AT is extremely well-liked by the coaching staff (and the players).  He hasn't been playing because the coaching staff feels the team is in a better position to succeed when he is not part of the regular rotation, despite his efforts practically willing the team to their last win against Davidson.  

Perhaps AT is not part of the future and it's far more important to develop Chase now but doesn't this then fly in the face of Armel taking all of these minutes away from Shawn?  Just seems very inconsistent if this is the logic.

The latest has AT staying away from the team with an illness while Amir, Armel, Javier and Juice all missed the game but appeared on the bench, all with non-contagious injuries.  Could it be true that AT, after being relegated to the bench, came down with an illness that prevented him from sitting on the bench?  Of course this can be true.

Nevertheless, I am reminded of just a season ago, when Terry Nolan went from being sick to being suspended, once the truth came out.

Hope AT is feeling better.  This team has zero realistic post-season aspirations.  What's been happening with him just sucks.  Plenty of time and opportunity to develop younger players while respecting a four-year player who stuck around this program when few others did.

2/10/2020 1:58 pm  #4

Arnaldo and Justin were our 2 best players. That is obvious. If they were both starting we wouldn't be able to hear how great we are despite playing 4 frosh. AT should have left when he had the chance. I feel awful for him. He would have had a great career playing for the coach who signed him and believed in him. Pushing Justin out will be a mistake he regrets. The basketball world is small. The A10 is awful this year but next year will be slightly better and we will be even worse. The press releases after games are hilarious. The first paragraph after the blowout loss to URI had me in tears. 3 blowout losses in a row and Arnaldo can't start for this team?

2/10/2020 2:46 pm  #5

Don't know if this belongs in this thread, but we just offered a 2020 SG (Brandon Murray) so possible that staff has learned of a future transfer.

2/10/2020 2:49 pm  #6

Gwmayhem must be a Toro relative or fanboy. How else to explain this repetitive post? 

Perhaps Toro stuck around this program because he genuinely liked going to school at GW and perhaps he had few better options. We are all a product of our options. But because he chose to stay here does not mean he should be given opportunities to play that might go to others for the long term growth of the program. JC is trying to build a program as he sees best. He did not recruit Toro and therefore was not responsible for him being at GW. This is a dog eat dog world and he inherited a GW program coming off a 9-win season.  Next year or the year after is what matters to JC not this year. People will the first to complain about us not winning but at the same time want to be sentimental.The two can be at odds with each other.

Unless of course, Gwmayhem you are suggesting that you know more about GW's program than JC and that JC really doesn't understand that Toro should be playing more.

And the Potter analogy is completely off the mark. Different players at different positions. Because JC realized Potter was his best option at PG has nothing to do with whether Toro is the best option in the post. JC may have simply come to the conclusion that Paar is ready now for heavy minutes but Walker is not as ready.

Also, I've heard nothing about Toro being sick nor has GW officially commented. So let's be clear this is not GW putting that out there unlike the Terry Nolan story.

I'd hardly say the situation "sucks" for GW. What will really "suck" is if JC can't get this program turned around by year 3.Better to take L's now and find out what you have than be nice guys and still take L's but lose your future. 

And before you go there, this has zero to do with whether JC or staff "likes" Toro. By all accounts he is a solid kid and a credit to GW. That doesn't mean that you automatically gets PT though.

2/10/2020 2:59 pm  #7

BM wrote:

Don't know if this belongs in this thread, but we just offered a 2020 SG (Brandon Murray) so possible that staff has learned of a future transfer.

If I were a betting man, there will likely be more than one. Stay tuned.

2/10/2020 3:38 pm  #8

GWRising wrote:

BM wrote:

It's not too bold of a bet considering we're already 1 over the limit with the addition of the kid from Southern Miss.

2/10/2020 3:40 pm  #9

GW0509 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

BM wrote:

It's not too bold of a bet considering we're already 1 over the limit with the addition of the kid from Southern Miss.

I meant in addition to 2 - meaning 2 to allow Hunter and perhaps Murray.

2/10/2020 3:52 pm  #10

Dr Mike, I enjoyed your post.  The crazy thing about this situation is that this is not solely about playing AT out of sentimentality.  It is near-impossible to justify that both Chase Paar and Ace Stallings gives this team a better chance of winning games right now than AT.  Even if you wanted to make the case that Chase should receive the majority of minutes and that the two should not play together, it's ridiculous to believe that Ace is a more capable backup than AT would be.  And it's not as if Ace isn't doing some nice things because he is.

GWRising, my "repetitive" post would never have been written had AT played on Saturday.  Not only did he not play but he wasn't even on the bench.  Sorry but that's newsworthy.  I am not suggesting that GW is putting a bogus story out there.  All I'm suggesting is that for now, this has the same look and feel to what happened last year.  Could be entirely different in reality, I acknowledge.

I am not a Toro relative or fanboy.  I simply see a player who has been relegated to the bench (when he's in the building) who can help this team win right now.  Do you remember his early season accomplishments?  Do you remember what he did less than two weeks ago against Davidson?

Don't really appreciate the straw-man argument relative to my thoughts vs. JC's.  Am giving my opinions which are obviously different than JC's on this issue.  Several posters seem to be in agreement with what I'm saying so it's not like this vantage point is so far out in left field.  You strike me as a devoted little sheep who must always side with a head coach because he has to know far more than any peon like myself could possibly know.  I will never claim to know a fraction of what JC knows about his own program but guess what?  That in and of itself does not make JC or any coach right about all matters, all of the time.  He'd probably be the first person to suggest that he too is capable of being wrong about certain judgments.  

And like I said to Dr Mike, this opinion is not based entirely on being sentimental.  It is also about helping the team win games right now.  You know, in that dog eat dog world you so aptly described.

2/10/2020 4:13 pm  #11

Gwmayhem wrote:

Dr Mike, I enjoyed your post.  The crazy thing about this situation is that this is not solely about playing AT out of sentimentality.  It is near-impossible to justify that both Chase Paar and Ace Stallings gives this team a better chance of winning games right now than AT.  Even if you wanted to make the case that Chase should receive the majority of minutes and that the two should not play together, it's ridiculous to believe that Ace is a more capable backup than AT would be.  And it's not as if Ace isn't doing some nice things because he is.

GWRising, my "repetitive" post would never have been written had AT played on Saturday.  Not only did he not play but he wasn't even on the bench.  Sorry but that's newsworthy.  I am not suggesting that GW is putting a bogus story out there.  All I'm suggesting is that for now, this has the same look and feel to what happened last year.  Could be entirely different in reality, I acknowledge.

I am not a Toro relative or fanboy.  I simply see a player who has been relegated to the bench (when he's in the building) who can help this team win right now.  Do you remember his early season accomplishments?  Do you remember what he did less than two weeks ago against Davidson?

Don't really appreciate the straw-man argument relative to my thoughts vs. JC's.  Am giving my opinions which are obviously different than JC's on this issue.  Several posters seem to be in agreement with what I'm saying so it's not like this vantage point is so far out in left field.  You strike me as a devoted little sheep who must always side with a head coach because he has to know far more than any peon like myself could possibly know.  I will never claim to know a fraction of what JC knows about his own program but guess what?  That in and of itself does not make JC or any coach right about all matters, all of the time.  He'd probably be the first person to suggest that he too is capable of being wrong about certain judgments.  

And like I said to Dr Mike, this opinion is not based entirely on being sentimental.  It is also about helping the team win games right now.  You know, in that dog eat dog world you so aptly described.

Of course, JC could be wrong but here's the thing you need to know about JC ... he is not reluctant at all to make changes within the lineup (see Potter). So if he thought Toro could help, there is no doubt he would play him more. The funny thing is nobody including you were clamoring for Toro when we won 3 out of 4. Don't get me started on Mazzulla.

But in this dog eat dog world when the coach will be really evaluated in years 3 and 4 do you really think it makes a difference whether we win for example 12 games or 14 games this season? Or is it more important we build guys like Paar for a future that Toro will likely not be part of? Paar had 13 and 16 versus Davidson. Toro never gets to make an impact in OT if Paar doesn't carry the load earlier. This is not unlike going with the young QB over the experienced veteran (see Daniel Jones and Eli Manning). 

Simply put, Toro is a poor finisher and suspect post defender. He is also a much better offensive rebounder than defensive rebounder. You seem to act like he is an all-league player. Sure he had a couple of good games early ... then???? Sure he can be an effective role player. But if we want to be that team I think everyone wants in a few years, time to move on. Trust the process as they always say.

2/10/2020 5:13 pm  #12

I wasn't clamoring for AT when we won a stretch of games because I had assumed he wasn't fully recovered from his injury.  His play had been tentative and I had pointed this out at the time (though he did make 4 of 5 shots in 23 minutes against Duquesne.)  That was followed by the stretch you're referring to where we clearly played a much easier schedule.  No, what got my attention was the Davidson game where he not only sat for the first 45 + minutes but then helped win the game.  At that point, I started wondering how JC would use AT and Chase and the answer since this point has been AT hardly at all.  

It is a bit baffling.

2/10/2020 5:17 pm  #13

Gwmayhem wrote:

I wasn't clamoring for AT when we won a stretch of games because I had assumed he wasn't fully recovered from his injury.  His play had been tentative and I had pointed this out at the time (though he did make 4 of 5 shots in 23 minutes against Duquesne.)  That was followed by the stretch you're referring to where we clearly played a much easier schedule.  No, what got my attention was the Davidson game where he not only sat for the first 45 + minutes but then helped win the game.  At that point, I started wondering how JC would use AT and Chase and the answer since this point has been AT hardly at all.  

It is a bit baffling.

The Davidson game wasn't baffling ... it's called a mirage. He had fresh legs when everyone else was tired. It was a good strategic move by JC and well played by Toro but it does not suggest in any way that if you gave him more minutes, he would be more effective.

Again, I'm not saying he stinks and has no value to the team. I am saying he's not good enough to set back long term plans.

Last edited by GWRising (2/10/2020 5:18 pm)

2/10/2020 7:16 pm  #14

JC was hired by an AD who was given the job under undesirable circumsatnces. I don't want to debate or rehash TV's hiring but she would not have gotten the job based on her qualifications at any other A-10 school.
She hired a coach who was .500 after 7 years at lower level conferences. Show me a program in a top 10 conference, or any conference, who hires an experienced coach that has a .500 winning record. A-10 schools have their pick of up and coming young coach's who have won at a lower level.
I'm not holding this season against JC. However, if he wants to stick around he needs to show improvement each year until he gets us back into the top half of the A-10 or find someone else who can.

2/10/2020 7:33 pm  #15

enough of this bullshit gentlemen.

2/10/2020 7:51 pm  #16

Closing the thread before things get out of hand.

Joel, Mark Schmidt was 82-90 overall (58-52 in conference) after six seasons at Robert Morris. Seems like he turned around St. Bonaventure pretty well in time (a tough place to win at for obvious reasons). Coaching in the NEC is tough, and overall record has to be thrown out the window when you are just playing buy games to bring in money to the program. JC lost several of his players year after year to bigger conference programs. Such is life in the NEC where every year is basically a reset. Despite that, JC went 67-39 (.632) in conference. He won't be losing guys to transfer in the A-10 as he did in the NEC (if he does, questions about program culture are sure to arise). This conversation has been brought up several times now, and the truth is there are very few coaches who probably had comparable resumes to JC from a lower level when we were hiring. He would have been top 5 on my list at least if not higher.

As for scholarships, Hunter's commitment took the final scholarship available so we are currently not over the limit for next year. We will only be over the limit if AT stays another year, or another recruit like Brandon Murray commits.

Board footera