GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2020 10:50 am  #1

Maceo Jack

It's easy to understand why Maceo Jack received all of those minutes.  Jamion Christian is running an offense where success is contingent upon made three point baskets.  But, most of the players he either inherited or brought himself to GW weren't panning out to be reliable three point shooters.  Jameson Battle was an unproven freshman but certainly someone who felt entirely comfortable launching 3's.  Players like Armel Potter, Jameer Nelson Jr.,, Justin Williams and at the beginning of the year, Justin Mazzulla, were all capable of hitting 3's but consistency and reliability were obvious issues.  Amir Harris and Chase Paar were injured.  (You haven't seen it yet but Chase can make them.)  And then there was Maceo.  The very definition of a streak shooter.  A guy who gave us 5-9 from 3 against Evansville, 4-6 against Vermont, and 4-7 against Kansas City is the same guy who was 0-9 against South Carolina, 0-6 against American, and 3-16 against three A10 opponents so far this year.

Starting in the Bahamas, Maceo had a streak of 10 games where he played at least 32 minutes.  In half of those games, he played all 40 minutes.  The coaching staff either felt that Maceo had to be on the court because he is a legitimate three point threat or because there was no better alternative.  Or perhaps both.  Keep in mind that throughout much of this stretch, Amir, Chase and Arnaldo were all sidelined while Justin M. transferred to Vermont.

The rationale for a streak shooter playing this much becomes far easier to justify when that player helps the team win in other ways besides scoring.  Unfortunately, while Maceo is a popular player and a team leader, his other on-court contributions are lacking.  His offense generally consists of running to a corner and waiting for the ball to get to him so he can quickly shoot it.  Moving without the ball is clearly more the exception than the rule (though he might be instructed by the coaches to simply run to the corner.)   His defense may have improved a bit since his freshman year but it was quite ineffective to begin with.  He can easily be taken advantage of by bigger opponents and his foot speed and lateral movement are what they are.  He should not expected to be a significant rebounder given his frame.  His play making skills are adequate.  The obvious contrast to Maceo is Jameson who was blessed with a bigger frame and lengthier range.  Jameson has developed a strong pump fake which allows him to get off an uncontested three point shot even when he is well guarded to begin with.  Jameson also makes a concerted effort to rebound the ball and will also defend much bigger post players when JC opts for a small lineup.  Jameson can help this team win on days when his shots aren't falling; can the same truly be said of Maceo?

In the last two games, Maceo's minutes have been reduced to 27 and 24 respectively.  He went 0-6 from 3 in these two contests.  I'm sure that many here are concerned about how to get Maceo's confidence up but here's another thought?  Maybe Maceo is really the type of player who ought to be playing more like 10-15 minutes a game, or more if his shots are falling.  With Amir, AT and Chase all playing again, this team now has more players who can help the team win in different ways than ever before.  Let's also not forget that Maceo was part of the first MoJo recruiting class which included he and Justin M. as early signings, Terry as a late signing after changing his mind about attending Chattanooga after McCall took the UMASS job, and Javier who was plucked from overseas very late in the game.  There was much discussion here that it was amazing that MoJo could get anyone at all to play at GW given the immediate aftermath of the Lonergan-Nero coupled with MoJo's interim status at the time.  With that in mind, maybe it can be surmised by now that with the exception of Terry who arrived at GW under his own circumstances, that the  first MoJo recruiting class was comprised of marginal A10 caliber players which is easy to understand.

Nothing at all about this post has anything to do personally with Maceo who as I stated earlier, appears to be a great guy and a team leader. However, it does have everything to do with what he is able to give this team to help it win games.  We've watched him play for 2 1/2 years now and I'm comfortable saying that if Maceo were to somehow transform into a more consistent long-range shooter or a fantastic defender, I'd be more than pleasantly surprised.  My plan would be to give him 5-7 minutes each half to see if his shot is on.  When it is, Maceo is a legitimate weapon on offense and should be rewarded with more minutes.  Too often, however, it has not been and on those days, even playing him 24 or 27 minutes, let alone 37 or 40, seems excessive IMO.  

1/13/2020 11:33 am  #2

Re: Maceo Jack

Could be many reasons why Maceo's 3 point shooting numbers aren't where anyone would like them to be.   Perhaps his teammates are not doing a good enough job at getting the ball to Maceo in his sweet zone.   Maybe the coach needs to design more or better plays to get the ball to Maceo in that sweet zone.   Maybe he was tiring during those games where he was playing in the high 30s if not 40 minutes.  Maybe he has "Jackson Payne" syndrom (best practice 3 point shooter I have ever seen at GW)  ,Or maybe this is who Maceois, namely a three point shooting threat who is inconsistent.    Sadly, when Maceo is in the game and his shot is not falling, he isn't bring much to the Court, putting us at a severe disadvantage.    (And yes, I recognize that even an off 3 point shooter helps by having to garner that little extra defensive attention.).   But, this is the player we have.  Unlike a frosh or even a soph, I would not expect his 3 point shooting to change from what it is today.   Yes, may be 3-16 vs. A-10 opponants so far, but he very well could go 8-16 over next 3 games.    And a team that plays froshs and sophs as much as they do could probably use an upperclassman to play more minutes.   As for how many minutes he should be playing per game, that is impossible for me to answer.   One factor of course is if we are being zoned or played man up.   Likewise, the score will dictate how much a 3 point shooter should or should not be used.   And needless to say that if he is hot, he should be playing in the 30s and if not, maybe in the low 20s?  But I of course agree with the premise that if he starts of with a bunch of misses or an inability to get his shot off, Christian should then take him out in favor of plan "b", let him sit a few minutes, then try againl.

1/13/2020 11:34 am  #3

No question he's been asked to play more of a role than he's probably suited for. On an ideal team (which we do not have), he'd be a solid role player or sixth man off the bench. He's been expected to be a go-to option on offense, which he just isn't. With that said, he's still shooting 35% from three which certainly isn't terrible. Other than Battle, he's the only guy on the team that the defense needs to focus on on the perimeter, which is useful in spreading the floor and opening up options for others who need to drive into the defense (Armel, JNJ). So even if he's not getting many opportunities to shoot (like against Duquesne), he's still useful to have on the floor. I think this is why he seemingly just goes to the corner and waits on most possessions, which I think is by design from the coaching staff. Even though he didn't score on Saturday, I don't recall him making any bad mistakes, and he did have one play where he drove to the paint, found Amir open for three who made the extra pass to Battle to hit the three. I agree that on a better team, he wouldn't be getting so many minutes, but overall he's still a solid player on a team that doesn't have many options.

1/13/2020 4:43 pm  #4

I like Maceo getting a lot of minutes.  Here's why.  He's one of our best options to shoot the three (we don't have a lot of quality options here), shoots a reasonable percentage from beyond the arc, and always seems to draw one of the opponents top defenders, which makes life much easier for the other four players on the court. I think Battle is an example of a player who benefits from Maceo being on the court at the same time.  On the other hand, it's clear that Maceo is a weak defender and rebounder and doesn't get to the line very much.  So, I can understand why some of you might not like the fact that he gets any minutes at all.  If we had better options than Maceo, I'd be fine with him having a reduced role.  But, given the composition of our team right now, I think Jamion is doing the right thing.  

Last edited by 22ndandF (1/13/2020 4:44 pm)

1/13/2020 6:58 pm  #5

The funny thing is when I first saw his highlights from high school, I thought of Maceo as more of a slasher than a three point shooter. He is a true three level scorer offensively, but I'm a bit disappointed he hasn't had the opportunity to showcase that. Jamison and Maceo should be taking primarily taking threes, but there should be a handful of plays we run each game where they are cutting off the ball and getting to the basket. Both are 90+% free throw shooters and we are wasting that ability by not getting to the line. This play was one of the more explosive plays we've had all season:

https://twitter.com/GW_MBB/status/1198695146616868864

I'm glad Maceo is playing closer to 25 minutes in terms of keeping him fresh. Having more options next year offensively could change things, but I would just like to see him get more involved to up his confidence. I'm not sure he even took a single shot in the second half of Saturday's game after missing all three shots from deep in the first half. That's unacceptable - even if he's not on his game it just takes one shot to go in before he suddenly gets unconscious from there. 4 and 3 shot attempts the last two games isn't going to cut it. In any case I expect as Jamison gains more attention from the opposition things will open back up for Maceo to do his thing. JC has said Maceo can be a bit quiet when on the court and he is working to get him to play with more emotion.

1/16/2020 10:04 am  #6

He’s averaging 31 minutes per game in A10 play and only averaging 4 ppg.  In the last three games, he’s playing over 28 games and scoring less than 2 per game, and with just 2 boards, 1.3 assists, and only .3 steals and blocks. 

A10 teams can not have guys eating so many minutes without scoring (unless they are an all league defender) and hope to be gave a winning record. He simply has to score more and contribute more otherwise.

1/30/2020 1:26 am  #7

The signature game for this 3 year GW starter.

One of the great, thrilling wins in recent GW history.

12-19 from the field, 7 3's made, incredible stuff.

2/05/2020 2:38 pm  #9

Nice article.  Also nice to see Maceo receive some recognition, even if it takes a Buffalo newspaper to provide it.

2/05/2020 3:05 pm  #10

As proud Buffaloian I can tell you sports in the language of the town. And if you care for lazy snark ( nothing else to do there etc.) remember most of us posters live in DC a place eagerly misrepresented and lied about.

2/05/2020 10:12 pm  #11

Way to go Maceo!

2/23/2020 6:12 pm  #12

Maceo is quitely having a very strong season.
Could you see him on an all A10 team next season???

He's averaging 12 points a game, 93% FT  58% on 2s and 35% on 3s
he's 2nd in 3 pointers in The A10 and #3 in % and he's top 10 as he was last year in lowest Turnover %

Maceo's True shooting % is the 13th best in the league   .561.   Gaudy

He's made 147 3s already does anyone know the all time GW record for made 3s?

2/23/2020 9:34 pm  #13

It’s all in the school records book on the school’s website. 229 T. J. Thompson

2/24/2020 1:14 am  #14

Well, Maceo is on pace to break the all time GW record next season, in that case.

2/24/2020 4:04 pm  #15

His statistics are remarkably similar to last season despite averaging 7 more minutes of playing time per game this season as well as playing in an offense whose priority is freeing him up for more open three point shots.  Overall FG % is down slightly from 39.9% last year to 39.5% this year.  Three point shooting up a hair from 34.4% to 35.1%.  Scoring up marginally from 11.5 to 11.9.  Rebounding is down from 3.9 per game to 2.6.  He has 21 steals and 12 blocks this year having played 18 more minutes already than all of last year when he had 16 steals and 10 blocks.  His defense has looked better at times this year but IMO, it could only have gotten better.  Maceo's defense against the pick and roll still involves trying to get around the pick setter rather than deciding to go over or under the pick.  Trying to battle around the pick all but guarantees that the dribbler will have at least a step advantage.  I hope he will lean to either go under the pick against bad shooters or over against good ones.  

Could I see him on an All A10 team next season?  Not sure what his grades look like but the All A10 Academic team would be my best guess.

12/23/2020 3:15 pm  #16

It begins...

Verbal Commits @VerbalCommits 45s 
George Washington G Maceo Jack (SR) has entered the transfer portal. Grad transfer. verbalcommits.com/players/maceo-…

Jeff Goodman  @GoodmanHoops 2m 
George Washington’s Maceo Jack will transfer, per the transfer portal. The 6-foot-5 senior was averaging 6.9 points this season after two straight years putting up 11-plus points per contest.

Last edited by GW0509 (12/23/2020 3:22 pm)

12/23/2020 3:44 pm  #17

First, I understand it from all sides.  Maceo wanted a senior year where he could help lead the team.  Pretty hard to do that when your minutes are being reduced.  From the team's perspective, I think the additions of James and Matt ended up taking minutes away from Maceo (and Armel who of course is gone).  Maceo could have slid into the role of 6th man sharpshooter but the coaching staff appeared to have more faith in Sloan than Maceo to fill this role.  In my estimation, the coaches feel they have upgraded their talent enough to where Maceo became closer to a limited role player than a 30+ minute per game starter.

Second, it absolutely sucks from a personal perspective.  From all accounts, Maceo is a great person and a great teammate.  He bought in early on last year and JC often commented on Maceo's amazing spirit and work ethic.  Sons of coaches often turn out this way.

My sense is that JC is relieved on one hand and quite distraught on the other.

I wish Maceo great success.  He was an original MoJo recruit, he endured quite a bit during his time at GW, and all the while, he maintained a great attitude.  When his best friend Justin Mazzulla transferred to Vermont, it would have been easy for Maceo to feel abandoned and subsequently withdraw from the team.  Instead, he absolutely embraced playing for a new staff and made the most of the opportunity.

Very sad to see him transfer, even if it is more than understandable.  

Last edited by Gwmayhem (12/23/2020 3:46 pm)

12/23/2020 3:55 pm  #18

Obviously we can guess that he’s unhappy about playing time or just the way this season is going, though also possible that he made clear a while ago he’d enter the portal, so that’s why his playing time was down.  Only a couple of people here will know, the rest will just be speculating.

Wonder if he can play right away because of the new rules?

12/23/2020 3:57 pm  #19

Hope he finds what he wants...certainly understandable if he wants playing time to prepare for an overseas career.  Best of luck Maceo!

12/23/2020 4:09 pm  #20

Very sad to see him go. Seems like a great guy and obviously has the talent to play on a better team. He should've been starting all along this year, but I hope he finds success elsewhere.

Board footera