GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/26/2020 7:15 pm  #1

All A10 Teams

With the A10 season almost over, who do you see as the guys on the All A10 teams?

Do the GW Freshmen crack the All Freshman team?  What about Armel??

2/27/2020 1:26 am  #2

Re: All A10 Teams

Jamison should have a strong case, particularly on early play for the All-Freshman team.
While we may feel Armel should be on the All A-10 first or second team for what he's done for us, it pretty much works against us. Garino and Cavanaugh who both made it to the NBA were second team selections, which doesn't seem quite right. Patricio was on the All-Defensive team and Tyler All-Academic.
  Yuta, who played 16 minutes in the NBA last night was on the Third Team as a senior.  Believe we weren't thrilled with that at the time. Though they did pick him as Defensive Player Of The Year.
  So who knows with Armel. May be relegated to 3rd team if picked. He's certainly been an All-Star for us and we appreciate him giving his all in difficult circumstances.

Last edited by jf (2/27/2020 1:34 am)

2/27/2020 2:26 am  #3

"So who knows with Armel. May be relegated to 3rd team if picked. He's certainly been an All-Star for us and we appreciate him giving his all in difficult circumstances."

Yes Armel has, jf. But he's wearing down with fatigue now as many of us expected. Missing those free throws in the closing minutes against Richmond was a sign. I doubt we could have won that game but it might have been closer

Last edited by RobSmithoasas (2/27/2020 2:28 am)

2/27/2020 8:46 am  #4

Tre Mitchell will probably win rookie of the year, though given the way we destroyed Umass, most gw fans probably think he’s nothing special.  He is.

I think there are a lot of options for 3rd team and it’s extremely hard to choose right now, so I could see play down the stretch impacting it.

As of today, I would guess or vote for:

1st team:
Toppin
Fatts
Jon Axel Gudmensen
Jalen Crutcher
Jordan Goodwin

2nd team:
Trey Landers
Grant Golden
Armel Potter (probably makes third team because our guys are always lower)
Marcus Weathers
Kyle Lofton

3rd team:
Kellan Grady
Jeff Dowtin
Tre Mitchell (though freshman rarely make it)
Blake Francis or Jacob Gilyard (not sure which yet)
Hassan French

Others just missing the cut:
Ryan Daly (one of the 15 best players but terrible team probably snubs him), Cyril Langevine (very close call for me), whichever Richmond scorer doesn’t make it, AJ Wilson (all defense instead), Marcos Santos-Silva (VCU collapse hurts his case), Michael Hughes (was a lock a month ago, but his play has tailed off).

All rookie:
Tre Mitchell
Jamison Battle
Yuri Collins
Bones Hyland
Jameer Nelson OR Sean East - would help Jameer if Umass loses its last three and we beat them in the standings).

A lot of voters just look at scoring leaders, which would help Jameer’s case, plus he’s an all around stat stuffer.  But I think the first three are locks and Hyland probably too, despite VCU collapse.

2/27/2020 8:53 am  #5

Any chance a redshirt senior gets most improved player? Armel went from 6 points, 2 assists per game last year to 15 points and 6 assists this year.

2/27/2020 3:53 pm  #6

I'd say most improved player Armel indeed!

Looks like a good all A10 list FQ

2/28/2020 10:27 am  #7

I more or less agree with FQ's list, although despite the stats Gudmundsson could possibly not end up on 1st team with Davidson's collapse this year. Might end up on 2nd team.

I think Gilyard probably finishes higher than 3rd team. He had two bad games against us, but his value on both sides of the ball might be higher than anyone else in the conference.

As much as I think Armel is deserving of second team, he won't get any higher than 3rd since our team is still not among the best yet. I just hope he makes it on to one of the lists because he is deserving. I don't know how they do lists based on guys who missed some time during conference play, but it is clear Armel's value to our team is very important. Francis and Osunniyi are guys who also missed a few games but should be in consideration. 

Rookie team I think Mitchell and Hyland are locks, and probably both Jamison and JNJ both make it. Collins will probably make it as well. Maceo Austin of Duquesne and that Lee kid from Davidson probably just miss it.

Most improved is probably between AJ WIlson and Armel. I think I'll give the edge to Wilson since he went from high energy guy with potential coming into the year to a legitimately good big man in the A10. Armel's improvement has been very impressive as well, but it has increased stats have come because of a huge usage increase so I think Wilson should get the edge here.

2/29/2020 3:37 pm  #8

Armel is #1 in the A10 in assists,  and #2 nationally in assist % ahead of Michigan's Zavier Simpson and top 10 league scoring so it will be interesting to see where he lands on the all A10 team indeed:

National leaderboard:

1.Javon Levi Texas-Rio Grande Valley47.4
2.Armel Potter George Washington45.3
3.Zavier Simpson Michigan43.6
4.Kameron Langley North Carolina 43.5

Last edited by The Dude (2/29/2020 3:37 pm)

Board footera