GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2020 12:58 pm  #101

Re: Transfer Season 2020

GW0509 wrote:

Verbal Commits @VerbalCommits
George Mason G Jason Douglas-Stanley (SO) has entered the transfer portal
https://twitter.com/_ishoot_3s/status/1240711555823493120

Transferring to Manhattan: https://twitter.com/_ishoot_3s/status/1242504118830276610

3/24/2020 1:24 pm  #102

dmvpiranha wrote:

3/16 Updates
Tahj Eaddy (Santa Clara) - picked up offers from Georgia Tech, USC, Wichita State, and DePaul today. Now also receiving interest from UConn (his home state school), San Diego State, Kent State, St. John's, St. Bonaventure, Montana State, Northwestern, and Georgetown. I'm honestly not understanding why Eaddy is such a hot commodity on the transfer market currently but I'd say the odds we land him are very long at this point.

Transferring to USC: https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1242513258621407233?s=20

3/24/2020 3:33 pm  #103

Jalen Harris leafing Arkansas as a grad transfer (opens a clear spot there for a transfer, though mason jones and Isaiah Joe will dominate the ball no matter who is nominally the point guard). 

Despite being a sometimes-starter for Arkansas, I’m not sure Harris would be a good target for us.  He’s not much of an outside shooter and never struck me as a special player, though he’s got decent speed.

Also, I saw a tweet I can’t find now that said Marfo had narrowed to 15 teams. Arkansas made the most sense to me from that list because their guards don’t care if they are 4 on 5 on offense - they just need a big to rebound and get put backs.  VCU, BC, Georgia, Louisville, and Wichita were on it but I forget the others.

3/24/2020 3:44 pm  #104

Harris is pretty good at beating guys off the dribble, but yeah I'd agree probably not the best fit for us based on the shooting numbers. I confuse him with the other guy from Nevada. I think Musselman coached both.

If Kevin chooses VCU, I won't be rooting for him. I don't think he'd do that to us though, and he probably has better options.

Ishmael El-Amin is leaving Ball State (I'd assume he will be a grad transfer). He is pretty good friends with Jamison and is a native of Minnesota. Averaged 13.8 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 2.3 apg, 1.1 spg, shooting 43% FG, 39% 3-pt, and 76% FT. He made 77 threes on the year, which led the Cardinals. Ultimately, I think he probably goes higher (maybe even back home to Minnesota?) but I think he'd be a good fit here and Jamison can help us out in the pitch.

3/24/2020 4:06 pm  #105

Pretty funny in retrospect after some of the derogatory things said about Marfo and Mojo;s (though seemingly a good recruiter his last season) inability to use or develop him properly, that Kevin Marfo is narrowing down his list to 15 names.
To Kevin's credit, it looks like humility and hard work made him now a national name.

3/24/2020 5:10 pm  #106

jf wrote:

Pretty funny in retrospect after some of the derogatory things said about Marfo and Mojo;s (though seemingly a good recruiter his last season) inability to use or develop him properly, that Kevin Marfo is narrowing down his list to 15 names.
To Kevin's credit, it looks like humility and hard work made him now a national name.

He spent 3 seasons at Quinnipiac.  Giving Mojo the credit for developing him would be like giving Izzo the credit for teaching MoJo how to coach.  Besides, from what I heard Marfo specifically left he didn’t think he was getting the coaching he needed at GW.

3/24/2020 6:29 pm  #107

BM wrote:

Trey Wertz leaving Santa Clara.  Originally from NC with many A-10 & Ivy offers out of HS.  12ppg, 4apg, 40% 3pt% as two-year starter.

On cue, coaches now following.

Rick Lewis@Coach_Rick57 
6’5 sophomore Trey Wertz (Santa Clara) has now been offered by App State, Arizona, Charlotte. He has heard from Arizona State, Arkansas, Creighton, Colorado State, Elon, George Washington, Minnesota, Northwestern, Princeton, South Carolina, and Towson.

3/24/2020 7:09 pm  #108

dmvpiranha wrote:

From a few days ago:

Phenom_Exposure @PhenomExposure Mar 17 
Samford transfer Deandre Thomas has heard from #SaintFrancis #CalStateFullerton #Longwood #UmassLowell #Bryant #GeorgeWashington #WilliamMary #Rider since putting his name in the portal #PhenomHoops #VaTop80 Sits one year to play two ...

Thomas averaged 6.8 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.4 apg, and 0.8 spg per 28.4 mpg in 26 GP, shooting 35% FG, 28% 3-pt, and 66% FT. Not great numbers honestly on a bad Samford team who just fired their head coach last week. The Bulldogs played at a top 25 pace so the numbers might actually be a tad inflated and they were atrocious defensively as well. JC offered him while at MSM so that would be the connection. Richmond, VA native.

Here's an updated full list of guys we've expressed in - 19 total. Position and eligibility listed as well.

Jonah Antonio (UNLV) - SG. Immediately eligible.
Brendan Barry (Dartmouth) - PG. Immediately eligible.
Ian DuBose (Houston Baptist) - PG/SG. Immediately eligible. 
Tahj Eaddy (Santa Clara) - PG. Immediately eligible.
Timmel 'Melo' Eggleston (Arkansas State) - SG. Sit one to play two.
Alterique Gilbert (Connecticut) - PG. Immediately eligible.
Jacobi Gordon (California) - SF. Sit one to play two.
Rodney Howard (Georgia) - transferring to Georgia Tech.
Hayden Koval (Central Arkansas) - Center. He has one year of eligibility left, but as of now not immediately eligible.
Matthew Moyer (Vanderbilt) - PF. Immediately Eligible.
Ryan Murphy (Pittsburgh) - PG. Immediately Eligible.
Tomas Murphy (Northeastern) - transferring to Vermont.
Alex O'Connell (Duke) - SG. Same situation as Koval. Not immediately eligible as of now but both he and Koval may be by summer.
Cameron Parker (Sacred Heart) - PG. Sit one to play two.
Sam Sessoms (Binghamton) - PG. Sit one to play two.
Deandre Thomas (Samford) - SG. Sit one to play two.
Kobe Webster (Western Illinois) - transferring to Nebraska.
Isaac White (Stanford) - transferring to Cal Baptist.
Michael Wynn (Wake Forest) - SF. Sit one to play two.

Still think we have a good shot at landing Moyer. Seems like a good fit.

Not sure where you saw us expressing interest in Ryan Murphy.  Rothstein tweet today names schools not including us:

Pitt grad transfer Ryan Murphy tells me he's receiving interest from BYU, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Cincinnati, East Carolina, Tulane, and Iona.

3/24/2020 7:45 pm  #109

Insiders who report transfer information generally won't list out every school a transfer has heard from. Murphy has heard from 40-50 schools. We showed quite a bit of interest very early on when he had just put his name into the portal, but it was clear pretty early on that Murphy wasn't showing too much interest back. If I had to guess, he is looking at a program that has a chance at making the NCAAs or one back home out west since he's from CA.

Additionally, the player will tell these analysts a mix of big schools to generate more buzz (some of these bigger schools may not even be recruiting the player that hard depending on priority) and schools the player is more strongly considering. Very rarely is it a comprehensive list.

The list I've included is guys that we've definitely shown interest in. There are probably more names on the list than that, and we've shown different degrees of interest in each one.

I believe we have focused in most on Matthew Moyer. Hopefully the hard recruiting pays off. I think he could be a good fit, and could give us a lift defensively as long as he stays healthy because he's had injuries at Syracuse, and also a shoulder injury last season at Vanderbilt.

3/24/2020 8:09 pm  #110

I have a buddy who runs one of the Syracuse sites and I asked him for his take on Moyer since he followed the team pretty closely.  He wasn’t a fan of his at all and doesn’t consider him to be a high major player.  His general thought was that he’s an energy guy who will give you 2.5 points and 4 rebounds in 15 mins and that’s about it.

3/24/2020 8:25 pm  #111

porter71 wrote:

I have a buddy who runs one of the Syracuse sites and I asked him for his take on Moyer since he followed the team pretty closely.  He wasn’t a fan of his at all and doesn’t consider him to be a high major player.  His general thought was that he’s an energy guy who will give you 2.5 points and 4 rebounds in 15 mins and that’s about it.

That matches my thoughts.  Vandy was not very good and Moyer didn’t even play 20 mpg before he got hurt. And his shooting and ortg have gotten worse every single season (last year his ortg was a bad 77.9, including shooting just 47% from the line and 17% from three) and he had a very high foul rate (5.7 per 40).

For his three year career, he’s a sub-60% FT shooter and a 20.7% three point shooter.

Maybe the coaches think that if he gets healthy, he’s a lot better than what he’s shown, but if they are recruiting based on what people expected coming out of HS, well he just hasn’t been that guy in college.

3/24/2020 9:56 pm  #112

I don't disagree with you guys. I guess from the standpoint of him being a one year rental with us getting the scholarship back the following year, we could do worse and I wouldn't mind taking a flier on him. I'm actually a bit surprised too we are so interested in Moyer. Did he have a reputation as a shooter in HS? His highlights suggested he was more of a slasher. Maybe he can give us senior leadership on what would otherwise be a pretty young team. Still would prefer a PG which would better fill an area of need, but will take what we can get.

My expectations when it comes to transfers hasn't been too high based on the past couple of years. Getting DJ and Armel in the same offseason was probably the last time we've been really successful. Carm did a good job landing transfers when he was an assistant here. Part of our lack of success of course is where we are as a program right now, but at the very least we can sell playing time. I'm hopeful that changes in the coming seasons.

Especially when it comes to immediately eligible guys, I think Alex Mitola and Patrick Steeves are the last two we've landed (both several seasons ago), and both were Ivy transfers. We should always try to aim for the Ivy guys, who obviously will fit the academic requirements we have when it comes to taking guys and are often good shooters who would fit JC's system. This offseason has been interesting in many ways. Arguably four of the biggest transfers this offseason have been from the Ivy. Seth Towns to Ohio State, Bryce Aiken who's still undecided, Tapé from Columbia to Duke today, and Mike Smith from Columbia who appears headed to a big program. The whole coronavirus situation has led to coaches of larger programs presumably spending more time looking at the transfer portal. Double figure scorers from low majors are jumping multiple levels. A guy like Eaddy, who put up decent not great numbers this year at a decent mid-major, was suddenly a hot commodity which I didn't get. Generally, I would assume we should aim to take fliers on highly rated guys out of HS who haven't panned out at higher levels and land double figure scorers who were main guys at lower levels, but it appears the latter has been made more difficult by larger programs this offseason. It will be interesting to see if this continues in the future, or it was simply due to the coronavirus enabling coaches to spend more time monitoring the portal because I don't remember seeing this last year. 

3/25/2020 9:04 am  #113

The thought of watching Kevin Marfo play against us in a VCU uniform would about do me in.

3/25/2020 9:34 am  #114

Thanks for the info Porter71

3/25/2020 9:56 am  #115

Bill Koch@BillKoch25 
Significant college basketball news out of Kingston on Wednesday morning -- @projo has learned #URI guard Tyrese Martin will enter the NCAA transfer portal. #Rams providencejournal.com/sports/2020032…

This would be big blow for Rhody.  He averaged 12.8 points at 7 rebs.  It's crazy that guys don't see how staying put and being in the running for POTY in the A-10 can get you just as far as being like a Samir Doughty at Auburn.  You may get farther in the NCAAs, but I don't think you appreciably boost your NBA draft prospects.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/25/2020 10:03 am)

3/25/2020 10:38 am  #116

GW0509 wrote:

Bill Koch@BillKoch25 
It's crazy that guys don't see how staying put and being in the running for POTY in the A-10 can get you just as far as being like a Samir Doughty at Auburn.  You may get farther in the NCAAs, but I don't think you appreciably boost your NBA draft prospects.

From the article may come the answer:When reached by phone later on Wednesday, Rams coach David Cox spoke in general terms about the rash of recent departures from his program. Jermaine Harris is the lone remaining member of a five-man recruiting class that also included Martin, forwards Dana Tate and Aris Tsourgiannis and guard Omar Silverio. Freshman forward Mekhi Long also announced a transfer from URI last week.“What I’m dealing with now is young men and families and camps who have huge aspirations but do not or refuse to deal with the actual process,” Cox said. “That word now – process or progression, those types of terms – has started to work against you in regards to recruiting some of these top young players.”

3/25/2020 10:43 am  #117

BGF wrote:

From the article may come the answer:When reached by phone later on Wednesday, Rams coach David Cox spoke in general terms about the rash of recent departures from his program. Jermaine Harris is the lone remaining member of a five-man recruiting class that also included Martin, forwards Dana Tate and Aris Tsourgiannis and guard Omar Silverio. Freshman forward Mekhi Long also announced a transfer from URI last week.“What I’m dealing with now is young men and families and camps who have huge aspirations but do not or refuse to deal with the actual process,” Cox said. “That word now – process or progression, those types of terms – has started to work against you in regards to recruiting some of these top young players.”

Now that I am in my 30's and am officially an old-man (lol) that quote from Cox is not suprising but it makes me just shake my head.  The kids in P5 schools all think they're one and done's to the NBA and kids at mid-majors think they're one and done's to P5's.  Do they not see Exhibit A of Obi Toppin staying at Dayton and becoming the AP Player of the Year and possibly the #1 pick in the NBA Draft?  Or guys like Ja Morant who stayed at a mid-major, completely DOMINATING, and becoming the #2 pick in the draft?

Last edited by GW0509 (3/25/2020 10:43 am)

3/25/2020 12:23 pm  #118

GW0509, this is where I wish the site had a thumbs up button.  Couldn't agree more.  Except the whole being in my 30's...that is so far in my rearview mirror that my eyes aren't strong enough to see them!

3/25/2020 12:49 pm  #119

3/25/2020 12:50 pm  #120

Board footera