GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/07/2019 3:48 pm  #1

Recruiting the DMV

Thought it would make more sense to post this in the main forum since it's not really about 1 specific recruit, but man oh man is it fun to see JC and staff have their first full recruiting class consist of players entirely from the DMV.   With all three commits being local, hopefully we'll be able to get some reports from posters who may see these kids in person.

I don't think anyone can help but be optimistic about the way this staff has gone about recruiting and I look forward to seeing what they have in store in the years to come.

9/07/2019 4:17 pm  #2

Re: Recruiting the DMV

It's hard not to be pretty optimistic for the future! It's pretty well known the DC area has arguably the best talent in the country (especially Maryland) so I'm glad we are keeping guys home first and foremost.

PL@¥θFF RθNDθ´ @all_metelite 13m 
GW has really made the DC area a recruiting priority
Miles Gally - Richard Montgomery
Chase Paar - Glenelg
Ace Stallings - Sidwell
Mezie Offurum - GT Prep
Amir Harris - St. James
Tyler Brelsford - Mount Saint Joseph
Lincoln Ball - Williamsport

Noel Brown - Flint Hill

This class looks pretty promising overall. Ball appears to be only improving every year in HS, and should be in for a solid senior year. The one knock is that he is not a great shooter (especially from deep) but he seems like the kind of guy to put in extra hours to improve it so I'm not worried. I feel like shooting is paramount in JC's system. I noticed in his highlights that he is actually pretty explosive and doesn't hesitate to take it to the rim which is great. The competition he faced in HS is questionable, but he fared pretty well while playing for mid-atlantic select as well. He is also a good team player.

Brelsford can flat out stroke it. In the Adidas Gauntlet tournament a few months ago he was shooting the three ball at a very high clip (48%) and was also among the leaders in assist rate (assisted on 26.5% of field goals for his team during the Adidas Gauntlet tournament, good for 13th overall). I have the feeling he could be the next great guard in JC's system for sure. Of the incoming class, I might be the highest on him.

The Brown commitment today looks like a really good get. Apart from filling a need for the future (especially with Arnaldo graduating) putting up 50 points and 25 rebounds in any game is nothing to sneeze at, even at the high school level. If I'm reading it right, MaxPreps ranks him as the #1 prospect in VA for 2020 and a fringe top 150 player. Somewhat surprised he didn't see interest from schools higher than the A10 level, but I'm not complaining. While college is always somewhat of an adjustment from HS, I am pretty confident Brown can help down the line, especially since JC's offense doesn't usually ask too much of post players, if he can rebound at a reasonable clip that should help us.

Although I know we have no scholarships open for 2020 as of now with the Brown commit, Jacob Hutson is taking his official to GW on 9/20 (the other schools in the running are Bradley, Loyola Chicago, and Northern Iowa). Hutson is a top 10 player in the state of Minnesota for 2020 (and MN has a lot more basketball talent than you would think - Jalen Suggs, Dawson Garcia, Dain Dainja, Tyrell Terry who was Jamison's teammate at DeLaSalle/ a freshman at Stanford this year, and Matthew Hurt who is playing for Duke this year all come from there and are either 4 or 5 star players). I really hope we are still considering him, because he has a lot of potential. For his size, Hutson can step out and shoot it from three which would give our offense an added dimension in the future. Maybe Jamison can put in a good word for us as part of the pitch.

Last edited by dmvpiranha (9/07/2019 4:22 pm)

9/07/2019 8:28 pm  #3

Re: Recruiting the DMV

From other forums, Brown grew a lot in the last couple of years and didn’t play basketball until 16.  Guessing he needs to learn the game/his body before he impresses this bigs.

Board footera