GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/22/2020 6:41 am  #221

Re: Transfer Season 2020

BGF,  just let me make this one IMPORTANT comment about the back and forth over Bolden and foul language that may be overlooked by some who are just glancing at this thread, Bolden never confirmed that Frank Martin even said this to him. This came from an anonymous twitter account.

About VCU, a few days before Santos-Silva transferred, VCU brought in 7-1, 245 pound sophomore Brendan Medley-Bacon from Coppin State, he averaged 7.5Pts/8.9Rebs/2.1Blks per game this past season. Looking at Medley-Bacon's size, along with his rebounds and blocks per game at Coppin State, you've got to believe that he'll be a pretty imposing defensive presence for VCU. If the NCAA keeps the current transfer rules in place, I'm assuming VCU will look to get a waiver for Medley-Bacon to play immediately now that Santos-Silva is gone.

4/22/2020 1:51 pm  #222

BGF-At 73 years old I find myself mature enough to follow your directive.-at 18 not so sure-nuff said.!

4/22/2020 8:53 pm  #223

Gentlemen, I'm not saying it shouldn't be discussed...just trying to keep the posts relevant to the topic.  Maybe it's just me, but I tend to stop paying attention when a topic goes astray. 

4/23/2020 9:46 am  #224

BGF, it's your board so we'll obviously be doing things the way you'd like them done.  I did want to ask though whether it's so terrible for a topic to veer off course as long as the communication remains civil.  In this instance, a thread about transfers for the upcoming season led to a discussion about one of GW's former players announcing that he planned on transferring, which led to a discussion about alleged hostile comments that this player's coach may have made which could have influenced this decision.  Finally, this led to a dialogue about the conduct of coaches in general and what should or should not be regarded as crossing over the line.

The ramification of shutting down a thread or asking that a new thread be created to pick up the new topic is that rarely does anyone go to the trouble of resurrecting an earlier discussion by starting a new thread.  

I can readily understand stopping a thread when things get out of hand/hostile between or among posters.  When things simply go off-topic, I would hope these conversations could be continued on the same thread since the chances are good that they will not resume on a brand new thread.

Just my unsolicited two cents.

4/23/2020 1:12 pm  #225

What's the harm BGF?
It's not the Terps or Hoya's board which has a much larger interest and may clog the board. 
Let the 10 of us followers of GW Hoops speak our piece, unless it becomes uncivilized by a few who lurk here.

4/23/2020 1:44 pm  #226

As probably one of the younger posters here, let me just say it's pretty cringeworthy reading rants about "back in my day" from most of y'all. I mean seriously, wtf is this: "I won't go into a huge discussion of how this relates to much of the problems we face in society but all I will say is that the teen suicide rate was a lot less when coaches, teachers and parents disciplined their kids more harshly and taught them respect and manners."

4/23/2020 3:12 pm  #227

I happen to agree with BGF.  I stopped reading this thread when it turned into that discussion.  Someone could have easily started a new thread for discussing that. 

I also have a question or thought on the transfer thread issue:   In the last two years especially, we are seeing a proliferation of low major kids transferring as soon as they have a good double digit scoring season.    In that same time, we’ve seen Sean Miller and Will Wade get caught on tape discussing paying their players (and those players, including Javonte Smart, not get in any trouble).  I wonder if there’s a connection between coaches seeing they won’t be held accountable for getting caught paying players and the number of low majors transferring going up exponentially?   

Could it be that coaches are now paying transfers, and not just recruits, now that they see they can get caught on tape and still get away with it as long as they are at a brand name school?

4/23/2020 3:50 pm  #228

Hugh wrote:

As probably one of the younger posters here, let me just say it's pretty cringeworthy reading rants about "back in my day" from most of y'all. I mean seriously, wtf is this: "I won't go into a huge discussion of how this relates to much of the problems we face in society but all I will say is that the teen suicide rate was a lot less when coaches, teachers and parents disciplined their kids more harshly and taught them respect and manners."

If you have facts to dispute that by all means bring them forward whether in this thread or a separate thread as BGF has requested. Until then, as your generation likes to say ... take a seat.

Last edited by GWRising (4/23/2020 3:51 pm)

4/23/2020 5:37 pm  #229

7-3 big man Matt Haarms committed to BYU over Kentucky and Texas Tech. Even more surprising is that Kentucky was not a finalist for Marcus Santos-Silva. Kentucky is gonna have some real size problems next season. Also saw that Justin Kier from Mason final three are Georgia, NC State, and Minnesota. 

4/23/2020 9:49 pm  #230

GWRising wrote:

Hugh wrote:

If you have facts to dispute that by all means bring them forward whether in this thread or a separate thread as BGF has requested. Until then, as your generation likes to say ... take a seat.

Ok boomer

4/24/2020 9:44 am  #231

Hugh wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Hugh wrote:

Ok boomer

Relax boomer .... OK boomer ... sounds like you're a little obsessed with boomers. Don't worry, God willing you will be blessed to get there one day.

4/24/2020 9:45 am  #232

well i tried getting this back on track...

4/24/2020 10:31 am  #233

As far as I know, there's yet to be a resolution on GW's scholarship situation for next year. The website was updated with next year's roster (minus incoming freshmen), and the math still adds to 14 scholarships once the freshmen are added. The only possibilities I can think of are: 1) A yet to be announced transfer (Javi?) 2) One of the freshmen isn't coming next year (no evidence that this is the case, but it can be possible)...3) Someone who we think is on scholarship is a walk-on (Hunter Dean?)...4) Maybe they were able to get an academic scholarship for Javi? (he's an international engineering student and on the Dean's List) 

4/24/2020 10:39 am  #234

Agreed Hugh, I try to check the Verbal Commits transfer page daily to see if there are any transfers.  Nothing yet...

4/25/2020 5:28 pm  #235

Another former top 100 BCS recruit has transferred to the A10 as Oregon sophomore forward Francis Okoro signed with St.Louis, he'll have 2 years of eligibility remaining. The A10 will have a quite a haul of potentially game-changing BCS players eligible over the next 2 years. 

GW18,  Santos-Silva's final list of schools are Ole Miss, Georgia, Penn State, Arizona State, Texas Tech and Maryland. I was surprised that LSU and Texas(which are coached by former VCU coaches who may have recruited Silva to VCU) and none of the blue bloods were on his final list. If Santos Silva stayed at VCU, there's a chance that VCU would have been better than all 6 schools on his list. I assumed that Calipari or Bill Self had someone contact Santos-Silva to tell him they have a starting spot for him next year if he transferred!!

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1253404800475070464  

4/28/2020 3:52 pm  #236

Allen Betrand transferring from Towson.  Not a fit for us, but a big loss for them.

4/29/2020 12:45 pm  #237

VCU's Marcus Santos-Silva commits to Texas Tech

https://twitter.com/RobDauster/status/1255553197332193280

Last edited by GW0509 (4/29/2020 12:59 pm)

5/11/2020 2:31 pm  #238

Looks like Kentucky solved its height problem for next season with 7' transfer from Wake Forest, Olivier Sarr, if he can get a transfer waiver. I thought it was interesting that the Wake coach in trying to convince Sarr not to transfer argued that the Wake degree was more valuable than the Kentucky degree because of the relative academic standings of the two schools.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29142137/wake-forest-basketball-coach-knocks-kentucky-academics-pitch-keep-olivier-sarr

Last edited by potomacgator (5/12/2020 3:41 pm)

5/11/2020 2:39 pm  #239

We will be seeing Betrand as he committed to URI.

5/14/2020 11:29 am  #240

Javier not returning to the team next season.

https://twitter.com/gwtv_sports/status/1260969315282583552

Board footera