GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/28/2020 5:01 pm  #1

2020-2021 Schedule

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1255237195604033538

Hosting Brown at some point in non-conference 

4/28/2020 7:18 pm  #2

Re: 2020-2021 Schedule

In addition to Brown, we also have a return game at Delaware and should host the South Carolina Gamecocks.

That leaves 10 games left for the non-conf (some of which should be part of an MTE).

5/05/2020 12:34 pm  #3

Virginia Tech will be hosting GW during the 2020-2021 season:

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1257722839777587201

5/05/2020 1:37 pm  #4

Interesting that we are doing to Virginia Tech.  Hope there’s a return game at the smith center. 

That said I don’t know what to make of Virginia Tech this year. 

They lost their best player -  star freshman, Landers Nolley (transferring to Memphis).

They also lost Isaiah Wilkins, a decent wing who was their second highest usage player (though mostly off the bench).

But they had a very nice collection of young perimeter players - at times Tyrese Radford seemed better than Nolley, Jalen Cone seemed like a good PG off the bench, and horne and Allenyne were good shooters. 

They had little inside but that could be helped by a transfer, Keve Alum, who came from Wofford with the coach but sat out last year.  He didn’t do much but rebound and block shots with all those great shooters on Wofford, but if he’s playing the same role at Tech, he could help.

The wild card is the other transfer - PG Cartier Diarra, who is talented but was known at Kansas St as a clubhouse cancer.  but Diarra was known as a cancer and got in frequent fights with his coach (https://247sports.com/college/kansas/board/103719/Contents/weber-picks-up-stool-during-fight-with-diarra-144034874/ ) this year. He could make Tech better, but he could sink them like he did to K St this year.  High risk, high reward, and I’m honestly surprised the coach wanted him with all those gold young guards already on the roster but there’s no denying Diarra’s talent.

Guess this will be a good test for us on the road.

5/05/2020 2:02 pm  #5

Another reason we were able to set this up is both JC and Va Tech coach Mike Young were assistants at Emory and Henry at one point.

5/05/2020 2:57 pm  #6

Hope it is a home and home, as I remain philosophically opposed  to buy in games, where we are used as fodder for a superior home team.   Not sure how getting blown out by a far superior team at their home really benefits us, except for the money, of course.   If you want to be a big tune program, then act like one.   That does not include taking a 5 hour bus ride to Blacksburg to lose by 30, with no return game in exchange.

5/05/2020 3:46 pm  #7

My guess is Va Tech is a 2 for 1

5/05/2020 5:04 pm  #8

I agree with GW18 about this being a possible 2 for 1 series with Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech could be in for a long rebuild, so I don't think they can view any opponent as a "punching bag" to build confidence. If it is a 2 for 1 deal, it seems like the only BCS teams who will agree to play GW are the ones who are struggling and see the 1 trip to D.C. as a great recruiting opportunity. DePaul, Rutgers, Seton Hall and Penn State were all struggling or rebuilding in a similar way to Virginia Tech is right now, when they agreed to play GW. Virginia and South Carolina were not. 

5/05/2020 5:17 pm  #9

I like it, and am really OK scheduling 2 for 1's against many major conference teams.

As far as Cartier Diarra being a clubhouse cancer, aren't you sort of asking for problems if your name is Cartier? (Just kidding.  Plus, not that his name is the young man's fault.)

5/05/2020 5:52 pm  #10

Gwmayhem wrote:

I like it, and am really OK scheduling 2 for 1's against many major conference teams.

I really have no problem with it either. We aren't in the position where we can get anyone we want to come to us. If we have to go there twice to get them here once, it's worth it. For anyone who says we have in the past, scheduling of 2020 is not the same as it was just a few years ago. 

Last edited by GW18 (5/05/2020 5:54 pm)

5/05/2020 6:44 pm  #11

Has anyone heard whether it is 2 for 1?   If so, there is some benefit, at least for now.  Further, for those who followed program for a while, playing a game in DC is almost a home game for Va Tech.

5/05/2020 7:19 pm  #12

They will bring a crowd- good home payday for the Smith Center

5/05/2020 7:21 pm  #13

Too bad we can not get West Virginia to visit- forever remember the chants “Go Home Mountaineers “.  They filled the Smith Center as well.

While it is embarrassing when the visiting team brings more fans than GW, it is a good way to build gate revenue

5/05/2020 7:52 pm  #14

Most power conference schools that come here bring tons of fans. Florida, Miami, and UVA were all games where I remember a large number of opposing fans in the building. Take the gate revenue and hope for a good game.

Last edited by GW18 (5/05/2020 8:03 pm)

5/06/2020 12:18 pm  #15

Thomas wrote:

I agree with GW18 about this being a possible 2 for 1 series with Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech could be in for a long rebuild, so I don't think they can view any opponent as a "punching bag" to build confidence. If it is a 2 for 1 deal, it seems like the only BCS teams who will agree to play GW are the ones who are struggling and see the 1 trip to D.C. as a great recruiting opportunity. DePaul, Rutgers, Seton Hall and Penn State were all struggling or rebuilding in a similar way to Virginia Tech is right now, when they agreed to play GW. Virginia and South Carolina were not. 

Thomas, Virginia Tech is a special case.  It's not so much about recruiting, but rather about their alumni.  I worked as Director of Special Events at Virginia Tech (under the Development division umbrella) and my roincluded creating events for alumni and donor engagement.  There is a huge base of Hokie alumni in the DMV, I believe greater than any other location.  The alumni association chapter is very strong.  My first event with VT was a party for about 1000 alumni and other donors at Fed Ex Field when Tech was playing USC in the college football kickoff event.  It was no accident that event was here in DC.  

I would be shocked if this were not at least a 2 for 1, but I could see this being good for both schools even as a one for one.

B.

5/07/2020 9:15 am  #16

In days of yore, WVU was always a sell out.  Do they still allow the Mountaineer to fire off the flintlock?

5/07/2020 9:29 am  #17

During the 2004-05 season, I took my family to our game at Morgantown.  We stayed in the same hotel as the team and my kids were able to secure some autographs before the team hopped on the bus.  At the game, I am sitting next to a WVU fan who I would guess to be in his early 20's.  Our GW attire gave away who we were there to support.  The young man asks me where we are from.  I indicate that we came from the Washington, DC area.  His priceless response:  "Heard you all have a big airport."  Sure, you might think of monuments, politics, history or power.  I'll never forget it.  Airports.

As for Morgantown, I'll just say that they seemed to have a disproportionately high number of gun shops and auto supply stores.

5/07/2020 11:03 am  #18

WVU always seems to Travel well. I live in Central Texas and saw them play at UT in Austin this year. I was also on Baylor’s campus this season the day they played the Bears. I did not actually attend that hoops game, was at Baylor for a Nebraska(another school that travels well)- Baylor Baseball game. Interestingly enough Baylor’s hoops arena and baseball stadium share a parking lot and  there were a TON of WVU fans set up tailgating, and a few Nebraska folks were too for baseball. I was shocked! It looked like they were gearing up for a football game. Have always liked the WVU fans I encounter. A fair number of them were wearing coonskin caps and some even in full buckskin regalia. Wish there were more spirited folks at GW like that...

5/07/2020 11:24 am  #19

BGF wrote:

It's not so much about recruiting, but rather about their alumni...There is a huge base of Hokie alumni in the DMV, I believe greater than any other location. 

So what would be the equivalent school for GW to visit?  Hofstra?

5/07/2020 12:32 pm  #20

GW0509 wrote:

BGF wrote:

It's not so much about recruiting, but rather about their alumni...There is a huge base of Hokie alumni in the DMV, I believe greater than any other location. 

So what would be the equivalent school for GW to visit?  Hofstra?

Good question!  I have no idea, but it would seem that is one of the reasons GW likely loved having the A-10 tournament in Atlantic City and later in New York!

Board footera