GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/08/2020 9:00 pm  #1

Coach Gregg Marshall Under Investigation for Verbal/Physical Abuse

https://theathletic.com/2123302/

During a practice that season, Shaq Morris attempted to block teammate Zach Brown’s shot. Brown fell awkwardly on the play, and Marshall rushed over and began chewing out Morris for what he deemed a dirty play and then shoved Morris in the back, according to multiple players who witnessed the incident.Marshall told Morris to “get the fuck out of practice” and then followed him out of the practice gym, two players said. Before Morris could exit the double doors of the gym, Marshall ran up behind Morris and punched Morris between the shoulders near his neck, according to the players. An assistant coach intervened. Morris did not respond to a text message seeking comment for this story.

In the preseason that year, a staff member was working out a group of players and Marshall was not pleased with the session. Marshall approached the staff member and started berating him, then put one of his hands around his neck, according to two people who were present.

In the spring of 2016, in an incident widely discussed in the athletic department, Marshall was approaching his parking spot outside of his office at Koch Arena and a student-athlete from another sport was pulling out of Marshall’s spot. It was a regular occurrence for students to park in Marshall’s spot to run in quickly to the tutoring center. If Marshall discovered someone parked in his spot, he would typically double park behind the car. As Marshall approached his spot that day, he did not get there fast enough to block the student in. Instead, Marshall quickly turned his car around and followed the student’s car, eventually blocking his car at an intersection in the parking lot. According to an eyewitness, Marshall got out of his car and started yelling at the student, asking “Do you know who the fuck I am?” The student had his window down and responded, “I don’t give a fuck who you are.” Marshall approached the car and, according to the eyewitness, attempted to punch the student through the driver’s window.

Asked via text message to address the allegations, Marshall did not respond.

Within the athletic department, Marshall’s combativeness was well known.“It wasn’t just players — the academic people, the marketing, everybody. If you had to associate with Wichita State basketball, you got caught in the crossfire,” one former player said. “I lost respect for him because I saw the way he treated my teammates and other people.”

10/09/2020 8:40 am  #2

Re: Coach Gregg Marshall Under Investigation for Verbal/Physical Abuse

It was only a matter of time something came out, especially since 7+ players entered the portal this offseason. While some other schools experienced that level of turnover, schools like Sacred Heart and Stony Brook made sense because they play at lower levels, but the AAC isn't exactly the NEC or America East. Have to think that Wichita's recruiting has fallen off the past few years from where they were in the mid 2010s and earlier, and it's not a coincidence.

Unlike the Chambers story that came out, this one actually indicates physical abuse which I would assume Marshall would not be able to survive. Dude clearly has anger management issues he needs worked out. Some of those stories are disturbing.

Just imagine how angry he was after his team lost the Diamond Head Classic to us in 2014!

More details here: https://watchstadium.com/sources-wichita-states-gregg-marshall-punched-player-choked-assistant-10-08-2020/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Board footera