GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2020 1:34 pm  #1

Penn State has a Huge Problem

Chambers under fire for referring to a "noose" in relationship to one of his African American players who later transferred (Rasir Bolton). Then when called on it by player and family did not apologize but allegedly said he was from the North and didn't understand the meaning of that word to African Americans. He has now issued a public apology today only after all this went public. Think Penn State will be looking for a new coach soon.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/06/rasir-bolton-left-penn-state-over-pat-chambers-noose-comment/

7/06/2020 2:09 pm  #2

Re: Penn State has a Huge Problem

The North? Was he Santa Claus' neighbor?

7/06/2020 2:20 pm  #3

So far North that the history books didn't ever get there.

7/06/2020 2:29 pm  #4

It's always important to know the context in which those comments were made, but pretty much regardless the fact that he used that as even an analogy is troubling. While not on the same level as Kaspar's comments at Texas State, it is still bad. Got to know and be better than that. Lamar Stevens (a senior this past year at Penn State) seems to have come to his defense for what it's worth. Despite a solid year last season, I have never been sold on Chambers from a basketball standpoint, so wonder if his subpar .500 record at Penn State will play a role as well if he gets terminated. A late statement doesn't help much, but at least there was no finger pointing in it.

I always think the biggest blame should be put on the school. The fact that Bolton was told to see a psychologist but no action was taken on Chambers looks bad. Not to mention only hearing back from the integrity office six months later. Hopefully in the future things like this will not be brushed under the rug any more and will be handled as soon as they are brought to the school.

7/06/2020 2:56 pm  #5

Penn State brushing "things like this" under the rug?!!!??   NAH!!!

Glad they learned their lesson.

7/06/2020 3:05 pm  #6

Only my opinion but I don't believe the initial comment had any racial intent, at least on the surface.  (I don't know Chambers and could therefore be very wrong about this.)  Even Bolton acknowledged that Chambers was trying to alleviate any pressure that was on him.  I know that there are certain things that just should never be said and bringing up a noose to a black person certainly qualifies.  That said, saying you are from the North and not apologizing is a more reprehensible move from an intent standpoint than making what you thought was an innocuous comment to begin with.  Hopefully, Chambers learns a lot from this.

Last edited by Gwmayhem (7/06/2020 3:18 pm)

7/06/2020 4:23 pm  #7

I would think that as we are discussing this, Penn State is looking for an exit ramp. Chambers will never be able to recruit as every coach will bring this up. He is probably dead man walking as a coach now. Chambers was already on the hot seat due to his run-in with Myles Dread this year. Not sure how he can recover. Penn State faithful are up in arms if you read the comments on various outlets. 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25680007/patrick-chambers-penn-state-apologizes-shoving-myles-dread

7/06/2020 8:57 pm  #8

Down below, I've posted the full statement that Rasir Bolton wrote on his twitter account. R.Bolton mentioned that Pat Chambers told him during the final players/coach meeting in April/2019 that he was, "Really Impressed With How Well Spoken and Organized My Parents Were" All of us who post here know what that type of CODED language that is coming from a guy like Pat Chambers to a black player, and it probably indicates what type of person Pat Chambers really is deep down!!           https://twitter.com/rasir_9/status/1280141282623598594  

Last edited by Thomas (7/06/2020 9:46 pm)

7/06/2020 9:20 pm  #9

This dude needs the axe, in 2020 this sh-t doesn't fly it never should have.
Bye... Bye... BYE

10/21/2020 4:59 pm  #10

Looks like Chambers is stepping down. Seems like only a matter of time before Marshall and Wichita State "part ways".

10/22/2020 8:48 am  #11

I try to do my best to measure intent in these situations.  I would hope that from an intent standpoint, we can all see the difference between a coach saying to a black player:

"You are playing like shit.  Keep screwing up and I'll be putting a noose around your neck.", and
"You're playing under too much pressure.  I'm trying to alleviate the pressure by loosening the noose around your neck."

As best I can tell, the latter statement is not meant to be racially insensitive.

But, in 2020, one must know better than to come close to straddling the line.  And as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the coach's follow-up (not understanding the impact of the word, failing to initially apologize to the player) is completely unacceptable.

Interesting contrast to Wichita State, DMVpiranha.  Under no circumstances should Marshall be allowed to ever coach in college again as far as I'm concerned.

10/22/2020 9:11 am  #12

BM wrote:

Penn State brushing "things like this" under the rug?!!!??   NAH!!!

Glad they learned their lesson.

Channeling Susan Collins

10/23/2020 10:49 am  #13

Agree Dr. Mike.  Big difference between a single mistake and a pattern.  That's why I hope Chambers gets to coach again somewhere and that Marshall never has the chance to coach ever again.  Meanwhile, Marshall still has his job, which is completely messed up and hopefully only a matter of days before he doesn't.   

Board footera