GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/09/2020 3:34 pm  #1

How Vested Are You?

I'll attempt to provide some perspective before jumping into this topic.  There are always more important things on any given day than the success or failure of GW basketball.  This has arguably never been more true than in these trying times.  You, or someone you know, may have gotten very sick from Covid-19, or God forbid, that someone you know is no longer with us.  You, or someone you know, may have lost their job, taken a substantial pay cut, are having trouble making ends meet, etc.  GW basketball is a diversion for most of us and even the most passionate fan out there could not possibly make a case that losing some basketball games compares at all with the real life problems caused by the pandemic.

So the questions and points raised in this post should not at all be compared to the world's real problems, as in, "losing to Navy, Hampton and UMBC is as bad as not being able to pay my rent or mortgage", or "is worse than being unable to spend quality time with my friends."  Because in both cases, it isn't.

I think we all knew going in that 2020-21 would be a challenging basketball season filled with Covid-induced postponements and cancellations.  Some of you likely put an asterisk on the season before it even got started.  

Last year, many felt that JC's initial season at GW would be regarded as anything from a free pass meaning no expectations to one where the hope would be that the team's improvement was apparent.  Some felt this needed to be measured in wins and losses while others had little if any concern for game outcomes as long as they could see that the team was playing more cohesively over time.

Year 2 has not started the way any of us would have liked, which leads me to the question of how vested you are as a fan about 2020-21?  I suspect anyone who visits this site will be watching most games and following the team so let's consider this a given for all.  Let's create three groups and see which one you would put yourself in (no straddling, as if to say you are between 1 and 2 or 2 and 3).  And of course, let us know why you feel the way you feel.

Group 1:  This group feels about the same as last season; in essence, another free pass.  That's because it's impossible to know who may get sick, how many games will be played, etc.  Season ticket holders in this group are more apathetic about this year's team because they can't watch the team play in person.  Also, with so many new players learning to play together coupled with the absence of a normal off season and pre-season, it would be unfair to develop any real expectation for this team.

Losses to Navy, Hampton, and UMBC:  "It bothered me a little but I'm over it."

Group 2:  This group understands all there is to understand about the unusual circumstances surrounding this season, but is a bit too vested to offer another free pass.  As long as the games are being played, they should and do matter.  But, a bad loss isn't likely to sting the same way as it may have during other seasons.  This group intellectually understands that the team as it is presently constructed is not good enough to finish in the upper half of the A10.  This group is equally if not more interested in watching players develop than it is on wins and losses (though wins and losses matter and should definitely not be ignored). 

Losses to Navy, Hampton and UMBC:  "This is difficult to accept.  Am upset about these losses but hope the team learned lessons from them."

Group 3:  While this group does not harbor any unrealistic goals for this season, their competitive instincts are such that it's imperative that the team improves and does so sooner vs. later.  Wins and losses absolutely matter, not so much for at large bids but in order to measure progress.  This group can listen to words like chemistry and love and process but at the end of the day, what it really wants are either wins or competitive, respectable losses against superior teams.   As far as this group is concerned, there is no asterisk on this season when it comes to analyzing performance.       

Losses to Navy, Hampton and UMBC:  "Are you f...ing kidding me?  Throwing away games to less talented teams is an indictment of this program (as it stands right now)."

OK, are you in Group 1, 2 or 3?  And why?

12/09/2020 4:11 pm  #2

Re: How Vested Are You?

Group 3. Because GW Basketball has a rich tradition as charter A-10 member and national tournament title winner. All of us have always known ALL our limitations. We don't expect Final 4 every year, even a Sweet 16 per quarter century. Just don't lose to hyphen DMV schools by double digits. Don't lose to Fordham three times in the same season
Of course I hope they learned lessons. I'm not in Group 2 because there's no evidence that's ever happened under JC. 

12/09/2020 4:25 pm  #3

It’s all about me! I’ll be 74 in a few months-I’m not in great shape.Cant wait and wait year after year.I’m running out of years.Where’s my elite 8?Im number 3 with a bullet.

12/09/2020 4:27 pm  #4

12/09/2020 4:36 pm  #5

I was a 2 during the Mojo debacle because I placed the blame on Nero and no good coach would even think about coming to GW after what happened to ML. 
When JC was hired by an unqualified AD with the blessing of an administration that has more pressing issues than basketball, I lost all patience and will just wait it out the next 2 years and hope the administration can get it right on their 3rd try.

12/09/2020 4:48 pm  #6

12/09/2020 6:03 pm  #7

Joel Joseph wrote:

I was a 2 during the Mojo debacle because I placed the blame on Nero and no good coach would even think about coming to GW after what happened to ML. 
When JC was hired by an unqualified AD with the blessing of an administration that has more pressing issues than basketball, I lost all patience and will just wait it out the next 2 years and hope the administration can get it right on their 3rd try.

This JJ quote says it all and I don't know if I fit in one of the groups. Im pissed that we have some talent that is not showing itself on the court.  We have improved our roster but look worse on the court.  What does this tell me?  JC is not coaching well.  Maybe there will be improvement (look at the Washington Football Team) but right now I am pissed and disappointed at this program.  Then when I think that actions documented in the JJ quote began it all, it really pisses me off.  

12/09/2020 7:06 pm  #8

IMO, the whole point in being a sports fan is being able to attend games live, with a crowd.  While having college basketball game on TV is a nice distraction from not being able to leave the house, playing games in gyms with no crowds, vs. opponents who were pulled out thin air with a couple days notice, with the benches super spaced out and everyone wearing masks, with the treat of an outbreak that could cause players not to play or a game to be cancelled at any time isn't a real college basketball season.  People are trying their best to make this normal, but until things aren't actually normal, I couldn't care less about the results.  This is just some bonus entertainment to get us through a potentially dark winter.  I'll take having some sports at all as a small win, not matter how my team does.  

12/09/2020 7:26 pm  #9

In terms of the descriptions, I would say Group 2. The group # for me depends on the number of years the coach has been at GW (early in his tenure). Most will agree that even a bottom half A10 team should hopefully not be losing to low major schools in most cases. If we want to get back closer to where we were as a league, we can't have those kind of losses. I guess that is the only thing that separates us from the AAC (apart from budget), because honestly I don't see many differences between the leagues in terms of how they have fared the last several years.

In terms of the quotes that you had posted (this is more in terms of short term reactions than long term), I was Group 1 after the Navy game (we weren't favored anyways), but a 2/3 after the Hampton game (this is a team not expected to finish high in the Big South after losing two 20+ point scorers - they lost to Norfolk State by 12 on the road and only scored 64 points). 25 minutes into the UMBC game I was feeling a 3 for sure. Something like:

With every loss though, I am beginning to feel more like Group 1 in that more losses don't mean much to me. I am trending the direction of expecting to lose and being pleasantly surprised if we don't unfortunately, but holding at hope that we are eventually going to trend the right direction.

Especially due to COVID, I am not taking wins and losses into account this season, but have some benchmarks:

On the court, are we playing as a team offensively with good ball movement?
Do we have a long-term identity on defense? It is still early into JC's tenure, but our ?? defensively make me a bit less optimistic for future success.

In terms of metrics/finish, I was hoping we would avoid the PIG this year and maybe finish 10th in the league which I don't think is unreasonable. Someone else mentioned this in another thread, but having watched the teams in the league not affected by COVID so far, I would agree that we have played like the worst team in the league. In terms of KenPom, originally I was thinking a finish in the 150-175 range, but have since lowered expectations to the 175-200 range. JC has never had a team finish in the top 200.

If I'm going to be honest, we haven't looked too different from the 9 win team two years ago so far. Offensively we clearly have more talented pieces and give me the PnR over flex any day, but we are similarly heaving the ball at the rim with limited ball movement. Unfortunately, I do think the 9 win team was better across the board defensively, but again still early.

I agree with Mike K that this team has arguably had a more disappointing start than last year's team even though both fared relatively similar in their 1-3 starts (you could match Towson-UMBC, American-Navy, Morgan State-Hampton, and Howard-Coppin State performances as being relatively comparable). Right now, it definitely seems like our upgrade is more in terms of offensive talent than defensive for sure.

We are taking lumps right now with the hope that future success will be more sustainable, maybe as soon as going into conference play. Losses to mid-major schools in decent conferences in the future, fine. But hopefully not a return to losing to smaller schools in future seasons.

The good news is that after a 1-3 start, last year's team started playing better when they left for the Bahamas. The quality of the teams we will face will be stronger, so I guess at the very least we may have a better benchmark moving forward and that a 5-10 point loss won't feel as bad? Only way to go is up, and there are still things about this team that give me some excitement. 

12/09/2020 7:54 pm  #10

Joel Joseph wrote:

💯💯

12/09/2020 8:26 pm  #11

Gwmayhem, I would say I'm firmly in Group 1. I picked Group 1 because of two reasons. First, life has been very difficult for many people during the past four years, and especially during the past nine months.  Second, I know we're not great yet, and I don't want to impose my wish of quickly getting really good at the expense of enjoying the moment.  Creating a good team is all about the journey.  

From my perspective, any losses in JC's second year don't matter too much to me not only because fans can't go to the games (no home court advantage), and players (God forbid) get sick from COVID-19, and the schedule changes from day to day (leaving teams without the ability to appropriately prepare) but also because I don't want to drown myself in negativity.   

I know SEVEN people who have died from COVID-19.  People of color have been dumped on in so many horrible ways over the past four years, and some people try to explain it away. The results of the presidential election is being framed as fraud by many Republicans, even though the courts have dismissed almost every one of the Trump election related lawsuits.

So, I am going to try to enjoy this season, 100% believing in JC as a person and a coach and knowing that we have some excellent players. I feel the pieces will come together and am happy to feel gratified when we win. When we lose, I will chose to look for areas where we performed well and opportunities for improvement. I so value DMVPiranha's analyses as opportunities for me to learn and I enjoy the positive discussion among us GW basketball fans as a nice distraction from the day-to-day realities that are hurting so many of us. We all have the opportunity to enjoy this team.  As fans we don't need to get down on the players or the coaches. There are real problems for us to worry about, and GW basketball, with JC behind the wheel, is not one of them. I say let's enjoy the season!

12/09/2020 11:55 pm  #12

If you had asked me 3 weeks ago, I would have said group 2.  But now I think I’m more in the group 3 camp.

I don’t really care about wins and losses all that much, but what I care about is watching a team that makes me feel optimistic for the future.  On that score, this year has been a major disappointment so far.

I expected to see us start to play JC’s trademark attacking basketball on both ends, but instead we’ve seen predictable, one-dimensional, easy-to-guard offense that puts too much pressure on Battle/Seymour/Jack whenever they get a look, and we’ve seen some of the worst defense ever from a Colonial squad.

My group 3-ness is tempered by an understanding of both the pandemic and the fact that we are very clearly transitioning to an uptempo offense and a brand new defense (to disastrous effect so far) so I realize it could be growing pains.

But I will admit that I was one of the most optimistic fans coming into this season, and yet now my faith in the future is shaken - in a way it wasn’t shaken during the early losing years under ML (where you could see the offense consistently generating open shots) or KH (where you could see Mike/Pops/Omar were special even in defeat).

As a fan, I just want to know that my faith in the program will be rewarded during a rebuilding process.  When MoJo was hired, it became apparent early in his first season that he was way in over his head. That year I was basically group 1.  When he was given the permanent job, I knew we had zero chance to be good until he was gone so I really didn’t care much the past couple of years.  Last year, then, my optimism returned because we hired a coach known for fast turnarounds, who’s teams played an exciting, attacking brand of basketball. But this year we are seeing neither (though I do like the talent he’s bringing in).

So it’s really not about wins and losses for me this year, but the play on the court absolutely matters and we need some signs that our faith in JC wasn’t misplaced.

12/11/2020 10:07 am  #13

Group 2 in year 1 for any coach even though I cut some slack for JC last year - without mincing words, losing to UM-Kansas City was embarrassing. That said, it was year 1 and I’ll give him a pass.

But I’m solidly group 3 in year in year two. We shouldn’t be losing to the likes of Howard and American at the very least. Losing to UMBC is out of the question.  Could you imagine if the school down the street lost to either one of those schools? I recall in year two of ML’s tenure, though we were young and inexperienced, we still expected to beat James Madison no matter the spread (we won by 1). Now, we’re facing a reality where winning against a low tier patriot league, I mean MEAC squad is some type of great achievement and cause for celebration. I can’t tell if it’s sad or humbling.

What’s even more bothersome is that we all know JC will chase the bigger program if he somehow reaches any level of success. Meanwhile w’ell be left to collect the pieces and start this shit cycle all over again. ML had to go but at least you felt he was truly happy to be at GW and there would be some semblance of continuity throughout the growth of the program.

At the end of the day, we are a better program than this. We are in a great league, amazing academic institution in a world class city. Don’t tell me I’m setting myself up for disappointment, don’t tell me to temper expectations, don’t accuse of being some sort of idealist  - I expect more from this program and I don’t apologize for it.

12/11/2020 10:50 am  #14

Fungerhall, I share most of your sentiments but have to object to your begrudging JC for moving on to a more lucrative opportunity if the chance presented itself.  (Right now, I can safely conclude this is the very least of our problems.)

With a handful of exceptions, most notably in McKillop, Martelli and Chaney (and I may add Mark Schmidt here), our conference has been filled with coaches who have moved up to bigger conferences and therefore received higher pay days.  Look at successful programs like Dayton, one-time member Xavier, and VCU and you'll find multiple coaches who all sought greener pastures while simultaneously cashing larger checks.  The key is that they've been successful at finding effective replacement coaches.  Even schools with great success under one coach (Calipari at UMASS, Larranaga at Mason) could not hang onto these coaches for obvious reasons.

GW has actually been a mixed bag in this regard.  Jarvis left for a bigger opportunity but Hobbs and Lonergan were both asked to leave despite enjoying great success with the program at some point.  Lonergan is really the exception to the rule here.  He had already turned down overtures from the ACC and the Big 10 to stay at GW, and quite possibly would have remained at GW under any circumstance aside from taking the head coaching job at College Park.

What's important to understand about our program is that coaches coming and going is part of the deal.  I realize you know this but to get frustrated each time it happens serves no purpose.  As fans, we should be aspiring to reach the point where a bigger program wants our coach.  This generally should mean that something's working well with GW basketball for this to happen.

Finally, as for JC, I will say that there are a number of things which are in favor of his staying at GW, at least longer than one might think, should bigger programs come calling.

He is from Virginia and watched GW play as a child.
His parents live close enough to attend some home games (post-pandemic)
His brother coaches for the Wizards
He seems to love Washington DC and raising a family in the area (hopefully, his wife feels the same way) 
He is young enough that he could stay at GW longer than expected should he choose to and still make huge money later on in his career, should his record warrant this

This is not to say that I expect JC to retire at GW because I don't.  But maybe this is somewhat of a dream job for him as it was for ML, and he subsequently stays longer than one would think.  Needless to say, let's first hope for a turnaround so that these questions are actually worth pondering.

12/11/2020 11:24 am  #15

As a lifelong Redskins/WFT fan, I've learned that to enjoy rooting for my team it is best to have high hopes and zero expectations. Why watch if you don't enjoy it? Of course you enjoy watching wins more, but you have to find a way to enjoy watching the losses too if you want to have a positive experience rooting for a team like GW. If you can only enjoy wins, you should start rooting for a team like Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas. The benefit of rooting for a team like GW, however, is that it is that much sweeter when you have a modicum of success. For example, making the Sweet 16, going undefeated in A10 play, and winning the NIT were for me just as good if not better than winning the NCAA Tourney for fans of those other teams.

12/11/2020 3:34 pm  #16

It may not be about wins and losses at this time, but the wins and losses have me concerned.   Counting last season (which ended on a 6 game losing streak), we have now lost 9 of our last 10.  We are coached by someone who now has an under 500 career coaching record.  These numbers scare me.  But even more than that, I am not seeing any improvement this season so far.  We have given up 80.25 points per game to Navy, Hampton, Coppin State and UMBC.  Let me repeat...Navy, Hampton, Coppin State and UMBC).  Our best defensive result was holding Coppin State to 69 points, however our defense in that game was just as lousy as the other games.  Coppin State was still getting the same wide opened 3 point shots as the other 3 schools, but they were not hitting them.   Our mayhem defense has resulted in 56 turnovers while we have committed 67.  We do not defend the corner 3 or the low or high post.   Our 3 point shot oriented offense is only hitting 32.1%.  Take away Bishop's 7-19, the others are 18-69 (26%).   Our assist to turnover ratio is 52 assists to 67 turnovers.  Again, take away Bishop, and we are at a 31 assists to 52 turnovers.  a 1 to 1 ratio is bad, and we are well below that.   In 2 of the 3 losses, we fell behind in the first few minutes and never caught up.  (Actually, we trailed Navy for all but about 30 seconds in the game).  I am not seeing in game or half time adjustments being made. UMBC was especially frustrating in terms of the coaching.  We were being blown out of the gym, down 25 points a few minutes into the second half (again, where was the half time adjustments), but then made a remarkable comeback to cut the deficit to 2, with over 40 seconds left.   All we had to do was play 30 seconds of solid defense to get the ball back with plenty of time to take a game tying or even winning shot.   We also saw what happened.   We lost by 11.    Maceo Jack, who averaged probably close to 35 minutes per game last season, is coming off the bench and now averaging 21.3 minutes a game.  He is also hitting 61% of his shots.  If the coach thinks that there are 5 better players on the team than Maceo, he is wrong.  I can go on and on about what is wrong with this team and what is wrong with the coach, but I am starting to ramble so I will stop now.  (I can devote an entire post on Sloan Seymour, and what was the coach thinking with him).  In any event, put me down for a 3.  Bitter disappointment, with little cause for optimism right now other than the hope that 6'10" Hunter Dean can guard the post a whole lot better than 6'9" Chase Paar.  .

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (12/11/2020 3:38 pm)

12/11/2020 4:32 pm  #17

DC Native wrote:

As a lifelong Redskins/WFT fan, I've learned that to enjoy rooting for my team it is best to have high hopes and zero expectations. Why watch if you don't enjoy it? Of course you enjoy watching wins more, but you have to find a way to enjoy watching the losses too if you want to have a positive experience rooting for a team like GW. If you can only enjoy wins, you should start rooting for a team like Duke, Kentucky, or Kansas. The benefit of rooting for a team like GW, however, is that it is that much sweeter when you have a modicum of success. For example, making the Sweet 16, going undefeated in A10 play, and winning the NIT were for me just as good if not better than winning the NCAA Tourney for fans of those other teams.

A new candidate for Post of the Year.

I am always perplexed by those who believe GW should be a perennial power (at least in alternating years haha) but have no understanding of what it takes to become a perennial power program in terms of fan support, money, exposure, etc. They apparently think you just roll out the balls and presto! New coach? Everything fixed in one full offseason! COVID? No problem. 

If we are going to have success here it takes a lot from the head coach including extra work, a strong stomach and a clear vision. Having been around when Jarvis, Hobbs and Lonergan were in that seat, I can tell you JC is similar in that he has a vision and he will work to fix what is wrong while continually striving to be better. This is not a sprint it's a marathon. JC received a long-term deal that GW is not going to cut short, certainly not in year 2. The foundation of program must be built before the results can follow. I don't care what sorry program we lose to early this year as long as I see progress at the end.

I can't tell you exactly when but I am confident that it is not a question of "if we win" under JC. I do know this much though, somebody should screenshot all the posts now because you are going to see a lot of new screen names and deleted posts when this changes. How do I know that? Because the same pattern occurred under Hobbs and Lonergan. It is a ritual of GW fandom like no other. At the very first sight of trouble - jump off the train, hop in a waiting car ready to catch the train at the next station just in case it stays on the tracks. We have a lot of impatient fans and I understand that. But the program's development does not operate on anyone's timeline of impatience or desire to crow about beating Hampton. Yes, results matter and wins matter but you can't win when you don't yet have everything you need in place.
Trust the Process and the Results Will Follow.

12/11/2020 4:46 pm  #18

GWRising wrote:

DC Native wrote:

A new candidate for Post of the Year.

I am always perplexed by those who believe GW should be a perennial power (at least in alternating years haha) but have no understanding of what it takes to become a perennial power program in terms of fan support, money, exposure, etc. They apparently think you just roll out the balls and presto! New coach? Everything fixed in one full offseason! COVID? No problem. 

If we are going to have success here it takes a lot from the head coach including extra work, a strong stomach and a clear vision. Having been around when Jarvis, Hobbs and Lonergan were in that seat, I can tell you JC is similar in that he has a vision and he will work to fix what is wrong while continually striving to be better. This is not a sprint it's a marathon. JC received a long-term deal that GW is not going to cut short, certainly not in year 2. The foundation of program must be built before the results can follow. I don't care what sorry program we lose to early this year as long as I see progress at the end.

I can't tell you exactly when but I am confident that it is not a question of "if we win" under JC. I do know this much though, somebody should screenshot all the posts now because you are going to see a lot of new screen names and deleted posts when this changes. How do I know that? Because the same pattern occurred under Hobbs and Lonergan. It is a ritual of GW fandom like no other. At the very first sight of trouble - jump off the train, hop in a waiting car ready to catch the train at the next station just in case it stays on the tracks. We have a lot of impatient fans and I understand that. But the program's development does not operate on anyone's timeline of impatience or desire to crow about beating Hampton. Yes, results matter and wins matter but you can't win when you don't yet have everything you need in place.
Trust the Process and the Results Will Follow.

GWRising, thank you for this post. I feel you have a good and clear perspective.  Borrowing a phrase from someone here who knows about GW basketball, I believe we need to Let The Bread Bake!

12/11/2020 5:02 pm  #19

It says "George Washington" on the uniforms. I sat through the 1-27 season. This team has no chance of losing 27 games this season, so things are better than they used to be. Sure, that is a low bar, but they will get over it. I just don´t want this to be unwatchable (think Penders Crap, or a replay of the Hampton game every f-ing time they take to the court).
I cheer for the Niners and Cheetahs, too. Those are franchises that have traditionally underperfomed except for certain eras where cheering for them has meant nothing but orgasmic bliss. Right now, both are teetering between bliss and the abyss (49ers thanks to injuries, Cheetahs thanks to SARU´s managament and the Cheetahs´ mismanagement) and both play "must win" games this weekend. I am letting them take responsibility for my receeding hairline and high blood pressure this year more than I am putting the onus on JC and the players. But a loss to Dull Aware would do nothing to stave off ulcer-inducing anguish.

12/11/2020 5:55 pm  #20

It's not unrealistic to expect a win over Delaware, following too many losses to other lower teams.
As far as the bread baking analogy, it's a good sentiment and made sincerely. And one could make excuses for the tasteless product last year in some loaves, but to be honest, some of the loaves were ruined by problems in the kitchen and the baker not adjusting the recipe.
But the baker is paid something like $750,000 a year while many are losing their jobs. He has pretty much his own staff on the court and on the sidelines.
  So there's no reason the bread shouldn't rise this year and be fully baked next year.

Last edited by jf (12/12/2020 12:18 am)

Board footera