GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/15/2019 12:28 am  #1

Available Scholarships

Anyone have a current expected count for scholarships to offer for:
2022?

10/15/2019 7:01 am  #2

Re: Available Scholarships

In the scholarship tree in the links section

10/15/2019 7:36 am  #3

We currently have no open scholarships for 2020, although given the current transfer rate around the NCAA, that will sure to go up at some point by the end of the season. If spots do open up, I assume we look at a transfer given we already have 3 freshmen signed for the 2020 class.

This year, we graduate Armel, Juice, and Arnaldo as scholarship players, as well as Adam and Luke as walk-ons.

For 2021, we have 3 open scholarships, as Justin, Maceo, and Javier will be graduating. Ace is currently marked as a redshirt this year as a walk-on junior, but he may decide against staying an extra year and just play his senior year (when Luke came over from Charlotte, he didn't play his freshman year for the 49ers but opted to not get that year of eligibility back). Regardless, Ace isn't on scholarship so it doesn't matter I guess.

2022 is a little harder to pinpoint as it's a little far in the future. We will have anywhere from 1-5 scholarships available (pending Amir's status once again). I highly doubt we don't land anyone for the class of 2021, so it's likely in the lower range. During the Mojo era, we usually left one scholarship open every year, but looking at the way JC brought guys in since he arrived (between scholarships and walk-ons, he's already signed 9 players since arriving this Spring), I wouldn't be surprised if we filled the three scholarships for 2021 and are left with maybe 2 for 2022. 

Of course, transfers in and out can change all these numbers for any of the classes. I will update the "scholarship offers" sticky in the recruits section if anyone is ever curious about this.

10/15/2019 12:52 pm  #4

Thanks, DMV.  Great information and I encourage everyone to check out the links he mentioned.

Barry

dmvpiranha wrote:

We currently have no open scholarships for 2020, although given the current transfer rate around the NCAA, that will sure to go up at some point by the end of the season. If spots do open up, I assume we look at a transfer given we already have 3 freshmen signed for the 2020 class.

This year, we graduate Armel, Juice, and Arnaldo as scholarship players, as well as Adam and Luke as walk-ons.

For 2021, we have 3 open scholarships, as Justin, Maceo, and Javier will be graduating. Ace is currently marked as a redshirt this year as a walk-on junior, but he may decide against staying an extra year and just play his senior year (when Luke came over from Charlotte, he didn't play his freshman year for the 49ers but opted to not get that year of eligibility back). Regardless, Ace isn't on scholarship so it doesn't matter I guess.

2022 is a little harder to pinpoint as it's a little far in the future. We will have anywhere from 1-5 scholarships available (pending Amir's status once again). I highly doubt we don't land anyone for the class of 2021, so it's likely in the lower range. During the Mojo era, we usually left one scholarship open every year, but looking at the way JC brought guys in since he arrived (between scholarships and walk-ons, he's already signed 9 players since arriving this Spring), I wouldn't be surprised if we filled the three scholarships for 2021 and are left with maybe 2 for 2022. 

Of course, transfers in and out can change all these numbers for any of the classes. I will update the "scholarship offers" sticky in the recruits section if anyone is ever curious about this.

10/15/2019 8:27 pm  #5

Cool, Thanks
JC has his work cut out, but he seems like a tremendous recruiter so eager to see the recruiting.  
Such a strange aspect of the sport, you'd rather the recruits land, or if not, transfer out, and open up new spots, sad reality. 
On the other hand some guys I am sure are looking to actually play not be stuck on a bench and sometimes that means a different program.
Do we not know yet the Amir status??

Board footera