GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/22/2020 5:41 pm  #141

Re: GW vs Charlotte Game Thread

Basically ruined so far are JNJ, Paar, Jack (this year's Toro) Battle (plenty of minutes, maybe too much, but not getting shots in the right position) all of whom showed some signs of progress last year and Battle being on the A10 All-Rookie team.
Also Ball and Brelsford and Brown who are (or in Balls case were) not getting usual OOC minutes because we cannot beat even the lowest level teams not named Coppin State.
Not a trade we want to make for some so far uneven transfers, with the jury out on Dean and of course, Lindo.

12/22/2020 5:49 pm  #142

Both Maceo and Nolan can beat their defender off the dribble (Jack developed that skill over the  years) as well as hit an outside shot.   Maco is a decent ball handler, Nolan a good (albeit at times sloppy) ball handler.  Each bring a multitude of offensive skills that Seymoure does not have.  If you are down 3 and need someone to launch a 28 footer to tie the game in the last possession, I understand, however when you are only down 1, with nearly 20 seconds left in the game, Seymour did not belong on the Court.  (I hadn't even considered Mayhem's good point about his having sat for most of the game).   

12/22/2020 6:08 pm  #143

In a last minute of oddities, inserting cold Seymour was another one when you only need 2 to win. Wondered ;why when he subbed in. Not as if he creates his own shot as we painfully saw.
And as noted, would go to Maceo first.
Only thing I could think of was as a decoy or second or third option (that worked out well against William and
Mary). 
But Charlotte probably saw the tapes and realized all they had to do was focus on Bishop.

12/22/2020 6:47 pm  #144

Post Game Press Conference

12/22/2020 8:00 pm  #145

Is "Tremendous amounts of growth" the 2020-21 version of "The kids played hard"?

12/22/2020 8:10 pm  #146

Maybe part of the first half.
Otherwise, did JC watch a different game?
Can't wait to hear the rest of the press conference.
One minute in, does anyone want to post some quotes from this.
First minute, anyway, is unbelievable. Will wait until after eating to hear the rest.
 JC could be Sidney Powell's spokesperson.

12/23/2020 10:49 am  #147

Story of the game is relegating our best offensive and defensive player to a bench role. Amazing.

12/23/2020 10:51 am  #148

Also ... drawing up a play for Seymour out of a timeout for 3 when you are only down 1.
GW has never scored out of timeouts, a proud tradition that continues.

12/23/2020 11:23 am  #149

To GwMayhem, Sr is no longer at Michigan. He’s working for the sixers (I think gm of their g-league team). 

To jf, not right to say toro was ruined. Watch him at St John’s.  He’s a VERY limited player, and about all he can do is rebound against low major competition.

To Mentz, the last play was not drawn up for Seymour. Come on, you know better.  The last play got blown up so we don’t know what it was supposed to be (probably put floor stretchers out there for spacing and let Bishop go to the hole or draw a foul). 

That said, this doesn’t feel like last year or two years ago.  I think there’s some actual talent on this team, but whatever JC is doing is just an epic fail right now.  Hopefully he figure it out.

12/23/2020 11:32 am  #150

Mentzinger wrote:

Story of the game is relegating our best offensive and defensive player to a bench role. Amazing.

Who is that? Hopefully you don't think it's the guy shooting poorly and throwing cross court passes to the other team. He has a lot of talent especially athletically but has not played well so far this year for any sustained period. JC is right to put him on the bench until he snaps out of whatever sophomore slump he is in. I am hoping he does that soon and expect that he will be back in the lineup then.

Last edited by GWRising (12/23/2020 11:35 am)

12/23/2020 11:50 am  #151

FQ, I wasn't referring to Sr who I don't believe was ever employed by Michigan.  Phil Martelli however is Juwan Howard's top assistant (or he and Howard Eisley are co- top assistants) at Michigan.

GWRising, as for JNJ, he might be leading the country in steals per minutes played.  For that reason alone, playing on a team that is as defensively challenged as this one, he deserves better than how he's been utilized this season.

12/23/2020 12:01 pm  #152

Mentzinger wrote:

This.

12/23/2020 12:17 pm  #153

Free Quebec wrote:

To Mentz, the last play was not drawn up for Seymour. Come on, you know better. The last play got blown up so we don’t know what it was supposed to be (probably put floor stretchers out there for spacing and let Bishop go to the hole or draw a foul).

Are you new here? I assure you, I don't know better. 
But if Seymour is on the floor and hasn't been all game, what is the explanation. Decoy?

12/23/2020 12:42 pm  #154

Gwmayhem wrote:

FQ, I wasn't referring to Sr who I don't believe was ever employed by Michigan.  Phil Martelli however is Juwan Howard's top assistant (or he and Howard Eisley are co- top assistants) at Michigan.

GWRising, as for JNJ, he might be leading the country in steals per minutes played.  For that reason alone, playing on a team that is as defensively challenged as this one, he deserves better than how he's been utilized this season.

Do you know what his +/- is?
Also a guy with that many steals should not be just +3 in turnovers.

Last edited by GWRising (12/23/2020 12:44 pm)

12/23/2020 1:28 pm  #155

I'm sorry, do we not think JNJ is the best player on this team? I do. Most upside and explosiveness. Most aligned with Mayhem theory.

12/23/2020 1:31 pm  #156

GWRising wrote:

Gwmayhem wrote:

Do you know what his +/- is?
Also a guy with that many steals should not be just +3 in turnovers.

No, I do not know his plus/minus nor would I care at all about this.  Plus/minus is arguably the most meaningless statistic in all of basketball.  Tyler Wahl of Wisconsin is having an incredible plus-minus season (and I only know this because I was recently told this) and yet he ranks 7th on the team in minutes played.  If plus/minus gauges one's ability, why wouldn't he be starting and leading the team at minutes played?

As for the turnovers, he is averaging just over 2 per game.  Not good but not egregious either.  Battle and Moyer each have turned the ball over more despite JNJ being the primary ball handler when James is on the bench.

If you'd like to pick at JNJ, you should start by questioning where his improved outside shot has been.  That's a legitimate concern.  The turnovers and plus minus are more than offset by his defensive intensity and his ability to attack the rim and get to the foul line.  I can live with him coming off the bench to serve as a sparkplug.  Not playing him in the late stages of a close game?  That's an entirely different matter.     That's just foolish.

12/23/2020 2:43 pm  #157

Well, I didn't think it was possible, but I think JC's postgame press conference actually made me more angry than the actual result of the game. His face seemed to contrast what he was saying. Not sure what exactly we did that showed an improvement defensively, or where the team grew if I'm being honest. The game looked like a crossover between the Delaware and William & Mary games. I think it's a near guarantee he isn't sugarcoating it to that degree in the locker room, but when the team is 1-6, I highly doubt that most fans or media buy the whole "we showed progress" thing. Maybe I'm alone in this, but as a fan I'd like to hear what could have been done better or points of emphasis ahead of the next game not the other way around. Sure we played a better team at home and was competitive, but even then we faced their assistant coach, not Sanchez.

The team had eight days in between the W&M game and this one. I can't say that too much changed though in terms of product on the court. The first half was well played like against W&M, partly because we actually moved the ball around and that Charlotte seemed to come out of the gate a tad slow. Our play in the first half has partly been what has been frustrating to watch - we just haven't put together a 40 minute effort yet or replicate what has worked for us well to start games. I don't know what it is about halftime, but the team looks like they are given anesthesia prior to the second half because the energy and awareness is just completely lacking once they come out of the locker room. Bishop looked a bit like Jair out there after halftime, he was dribbling seemingly away from the hoop towards a corner which enabled Charlotte to trap us constantly.

Seven games in, and I am still not sure what the identity of this team is. We tried playing very uptempo (top 40 pace nationally), but found we coughed up the ball probably a bit more than we would have liked, so in the past few games we have slowed things down quite a bit and operated in the halfcourt, which is especially confusing to me yesterday because that's exactly what Charlotte wanted us to do. Again, if we are passing the ball around this isn't a bad thing, but based on how we've played this only stalls the offense more. We had multiple shot clock violations, and we were too reliant on Bishop making something out of nothing in the final seconds or Jamison hoisting a deep three to bail us out of a bad possession (not to mention, we still coughed up the ball 14 times). Defensively, we market ourselves as "Mayhem" and after a few games when we actually pressed, we abandoned the idea altogether. We said we would take a lot of threes, aren't doing that. It's one thing to experiment with different things, but I honestly have no idea what the plan is for this team the rest of the year.

I've said it in pretty much after every game, but until the team dives for loose balls and actually shows the will to want to win on both ends of the floor, they will not win or should deserve to win. They might be working hard during practice, but it simply hasn't translated to games. There was a loose ball in the first half in front of Chase, and he just didn't dive on the floor to get it instead trying to reach it by just bending his knees. Maceo in the second half trying to save the ball from going out of bounds in the corner showed no effort to keep the ball in play, instead trying to save it himself by staying in bounds which more often than not will not work - for good measure he waited a few extra seconds for the ref to make the call that he stepped on the line.

These plays will all get overlooked because the game was close in the final seconds, but the fact is in close games the last play itself isn't always the reason a team has lost, but some of the small things leading up to that point. That being said, it's hard to not mention the two fouls Matt was called for down the stretch which were bad fouls - a shame because he actually had a pretty solid game otherwise and fought for a lot of boards down low. When I think more about it, I don't think the final foul that put Shepherd on the line was necessarily terrible, because without fouling Shepherd had a pretty open shot to knock down, something Charlotte had all game (and Shepherd was only 1/3 from the line at that point). I realize that Maceo and Jamison might have trouble staying with their man in man-to-man, but I am curious to see how we fare with Hunter down low more. I get why JC would think zone would be a good choice on this team, but the team just does such a bad job of rotating over - there is no reason why Charlotte had so many open shots near the free throw line. Banking on them missing those is very risky - this is a D1 team that we faced that will make that shot consistently! If anything, the bad play on Matt was in the final possession of the game. First of all, I agree with GWmayhem that I wouldn't have taken a TO there to let Charlotte get set, but when Bishop was trapped after the ball was inbounded, Matt was the only player who was not overly covered by his man - he seemed to kind of zone out in the final seconds. I don't get why Jamison and Sloan both went further away from the basket, leaving James with only Hunter and Matt as options to actually pass to closer to the basket. Even when Hunter got the ball, I'm not sure why no one else cut to the basket to help him out but just stood there. Dean was effectively forced to pass it to Sloan. I get why Sloan came into the game based on his tying FTs against W&M, but as others mentioned we only needed 2 and his other shot up to that point was an airballed three.

Speaking of threes, I guess I should mention once again how Charlotte consistently set screens for Young to get cracks at open threes while we had Maceo, Sloan, and Jamison run in circles to get their shot off. I will say Jamison finally had a few open looks in this game, but especially Maceo has yet to get an open look that I can remember this season. It's very impressive to me that Jack has shot 40% from deep on the year despite having a hand in his face on every shot this season. Kudos to him.

The Hunter dunk in the first half will be remembered as one of our best plays in the game. What led to that play? Passing the ball around the horn and spacing Charlotte out which gave us the chance to beat their guy one on one. Hunter was shown to show a lot of emotion/energy after the play, something that was carried over to his teammates. Of course after a play like that, what do we do? Not give Hunter a single shot for the rest of the game - and he played pretty much all of the second half over Chase.

I liked the energy Lincoln brought to the starting lineup and he definitely held his own defensively, but I agree that him playing twice the minutes as JNJ seemed to limit our potential on the court. I have been pretty consistent with saying I am not sure the coaching staff knows what to do with JNJ, which has been evident all season. I still think the dimension of this team still not yet unlocked is playing James off the ball, but it's becoming increasingly clear that we may never see that dimension this season. JNJ hasn't exactly made the best decisions with the ball at times, but I think he needs a slightly longer leash than what he got yesterday, especially given he may be one of the few players on this team with defensive aptitude (his instincts on that end are fantastic). This is something that I've been thinking, if a guy like JNJ or Jamison is struggling offensively, draw something up for them to get going. Some of JNJ's best plays on the year so far have been him cutting off the ball and finishing down low (sometimes with a dunk, like in the Navy game). Right now, the only times he seem to be open is when it's a deep three which isn't his game, otherwise when he has the ball he is forced to create his shot, which is only to take the ball recklessly to the hoop. There has been mentions of him possibly transferring in the future, and I'd be lying if that hasn't crossed my mind. He and Jamison are close off the court, and the thought of that I think could really affect the team in a bad way. Perhaps to appease him we should get him back to the starting lineup. We just have to find a way to get him going. JC had mentioned all offseason that JNJ would be the guy at point, I wonder what happened between then and now - again, I get he hasn't been stellar with the ball in his hands, but it seems like there is no faith in him at all to make a play. The issue with this team is that we just cannot take Bishop off the floor because he is the only one that can direct the offense right now (and PG still doesn't feel like his natural position). I would have loved to see Lincoln direct the offense even if it was for just a few minutes, or get Tyler out there as well who has looked pretty good when he's got the chance. (No idea why we haven't seen Noel lately either down low). Bishop shouldn't have to handle that position by himself.

The preseason is now over, and conference play is about to begin. Honestly, each loss doesn't mean too much to me, but I do think about what the team is thinking after each one, especially in the way we are losing. Hopefully we are able to keep the team together, and finally discover what the heck is going wrong after halftime. Leadership and energy have been pretty much missing so far. Perhaps we should look to the transfer market for a grad transfer PG to at least support Bishop/JNJ in the offseason. I like Brayon a lot, but he will only be a freshman.

Eight more days off to fine tune some things before Fordham. We might have a slight boost from them not playing a game yet this season due to COVID. Hope the team stays resilient, because we can definitely get some wins on the board if the things above are fixed - we are now the second unluckiest team according to KenPom; only Kentucky is less lucky.

12/23/2020 4:03 pm  #158

Mike K wrote:

He is gone....went from having as many minutes as he can handle to sitting on the bench for during a last second possession...with Freeman coming in next year too. You know he and dad are not happy.

It's interesting to note that the fall guy for the W&M debacle was JNJ. He was on the court in the final seconds of the W&M game and got into position to pull down an easy catch and dunk (just like the play was drawn up) only to see Bishop...well we all know what happened next. Instead of reprimanding Bishop, JNJ was the one watching from the sidelines of the Charlotte game in the closing seconds. 

Last edited by fungerhall (12/23/2020 5:43 pm)

Board footera