GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/17/2019 3:45 pm  #1

GW Season Predictions

What do you predict for GW this year?
Record?
Team MVP?
Most improved player?

10/18/2019 3:55 pm  #2

Re: GW Season Predictions

None?

10/19/2019 5:53 pm  #3

18 overall wins if Harris is eligible, 15 if not. Will mainly affect Conference results. Finish 8th in conference.
Team MVP ... in a close race Toro or Jack
Most Improved Player - Offurum
Best newcomers -  Harris, Nelson, and Battle
Coach Christian will get some votes for A-10 COY

10/19/2019 7:10 pm  #4

Yep could see a Keith Dambrot style turnaround here record wise.

After finishing 10-22 in Jim Ferry's last year, Duquesne went 16-16 in 2017 and 19-13 last year. 

I am more optimistic about our team than that but I think it's a reasonable goal.

10/20/2019 8:18 am  #5

If all are able to play I would say 16 wins overall; a 9th place finish in the conference. MVP= DK?
Most improved should be Offerum. I would agree that Battle & Nelson, along with Harris if he's eligible, would be the best newcomers though I haven't seen them play live.

Christian should be able to mirror Dambrot's turnaround for Duquesne's once moribund program provided Toro stays healthy and gets help inside.

10/20/2019 9:24 am  #6

RobSmithoasas wrote:

If all are able to play I would say 16 wins overall; a 9th place finish in the conference. MVP= DK?
Most improved should be Offerum. I would agree that Battle & Nelson, along with Harris if he's eligible, would be the best newcomers though I haven't seen them play live.

Christian should be able to mirror Dambrot's turnaround for Duquesne's once moribund program provided Toro stays healthy and gets help inside.

Who is DK?

In another thread, I said we would finish 7-11 in conference, with the chance of finishing 9-9:

1/5 vs. St. Bonaventure (L)
1/8 @ St. Louis (L)
1/11 vs. Duquesne (W)
1/15 vs. George Mason (W)
1/18 vs. UMass (W)
1/22 @ Fordham (W)
1/25 vs. St. Joe's (W)
1/29 vs. Davidson (L)
2/1 @ Richmond (L)
2/5 @ St. Bonaventure (L)
2/8 vs. Rhode Island (L)
2/15 @ George Mason (L)
2/19 @ Duquesne (L)
2/22 vs. La Salle (W)
2/26 vs. Richmond (L)
2/29 @ VCU (L)
3/4 vs. Fordham (W) (Funny how we go from the hardest possible game @ VCU to easiest possible game at home against Fordham in consecutive games)
3/7 @ Dayton (L) 

As for OOC, I think an 8-5 record is reasonable. Towson on the road will be tough, but we should be able to come out on top against Howard, American, and Morgan State (who we could end up playing twice this year depending on what happens in the Island of the Bahamas tournament). It's tough to predict how we'll fare in the tournament - I'll say 2-1. We should beat UMKC. Evansville/East Carolina will be tough. I'll say W for now, but that doesn't seem like a guarantee. If we do win the first two games, I definitely don't see us winning against Liberty. The South Carolina game will be definitely more competitive than last year, but think we fall short at their place. Boston U and Delaware are by no means easy games either, but I think home court advantage will give us the edge. A healthy Harvard team will be a loss regardless of where the game is being played. The Longwood game should be a win depending on how the two teams shoot from 3 (we may see 50 threes shot that game and that's not an exaggeration). Vermont probably a loss as well.

That would put us at 15-16. I could definitely see us win up to 17 games this year, but am going to be a more conservative after last year. We are sure to be a nuisance for a lot of teams this year, and I think not being respected this year will help us turn a lot of heads over the course of the season.

As for MVP and most improved, I'll stick with Maceo and for most improved it's hard to go against Mezie (though I'd still lean Armel for breakout). Best newcomers Amir (if he plays), Jameer, and Jamison. I'm intrigued to see what Shawn can bring as well because I don't know at this point what he'll be able to do in his first year. He strikes me as more of a second year breakout as of now.

Last edited by dmvpiranha (10/20/2019 9:25 am)

10/20/2019 9:49 pm  #7

Do we still not know whether Amir is eligible?

10/21/2019 4:48 pm  #8

The Dude wrote:

Do we still not know whether Amir is eligible?

No, we don't. Might be a last minute thing from what I hear.

Last edited by GWRising (10/21/2019 4:49 pm)

10/22/2019 4:33 pm  #9

Wow, that's unusual to not know this late ??

10/23/2019 8:50 am  #10

The Dude wrote:

Wow, that's unusual to not know this late ??

Not really. The NCAA processes these appeals on their own timeline. Generally speaking these are usually resolved prior to the commencement of the regular season. So I expect we will hear something by November 5th.

10/24/2019 8:23 am  #11

The team just released this "Preseason Prospectus"

https://gwsports.com/documents/2019/10/23/Preseason_Prospectus.pdf

10/25/2019 1:03 am  #12

Ok. so based on Goodman's 36 yes 4 No ratio I am going to assume his waiver will be granted and he's likely to play this year.  
Unofficial of course just based on that 90+% hit rate that Thomas posted

Board footera