GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/01/2021 12:39 pm  #1

Happy New Years and my wished for 2020

Happy New Years to all my board chat friends from Long Suffering Fan and all my fake board identities.   And an extra special shout out to Barry for putting this thing together and to DMV for his incredible pre and post game reports.  In case you haven't noticed, we have gone from embarrassing little coverage in the WaPost to zero coverage.   We are lucky to appear in the "on air" section with 40 other scheduled college games.  With DMV, internet coverage and the insight provided on this board, it would be nice seeing us mentioned by the media, but in terms of obtaining  GW info, it is hardly necessary.   As for my wishes for this season (in terms of GW basketball only...I am sure we are all hoping for an end to COVID) ) is that GW Rising is right, and that what we are witnessing now is the product of the purging of the lesser talent on the team (GWRising will probably not like my use of "purge") and the bringing in of a higher level of talent.   Players like Bishop, Harris, Moyer (I know many will disagree with my putting him on the list), Dean and LIndo, along with this years and next years freshman class may be an indication of it.   The jury is still out.  As painful as these growing pains are. I must try not to lose site of the fact that with the exception of Moyer and I believe Seymour, everyone else on the team  is either a first or second year player.  As much as we disputed whether or not some of the past teams should be considered young, there is not questioning that this team really is, and that most of the team  seem to have the potential to develop into high quality and complete Atlantic Ten quality players.   I am resigned to another  20 loss season, but by next season, I would expect to see a major jump. where we are again relevant.  So again, Happy New Years to all.   Even you, Dude.

1/01/2021 2:22 pm  #2

Re: Happy New Years and my wished for 2020

And happy new year to you, LSF, and everyone else!

1/01/2021 3:25 pm  #3

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

Happy New Years to all my board chat friends from Long Suffering Fan and all my fake board identities.   And an extra special shout out to Barry for putting this thing together and to DMV for his incredible pre and post game reports.  In case you haven't noticed, we have gone from embarrassing little coverage in the WaPost to zero coverage.   We are lucky to appear in the "on air" section with 40 other scheduled college games.  With DMV, internet coverage and the insight provided on this board, it would be nice seeing us mentioned by the media, but in terms of obtaining  GW info, it is hardly necessary.   As for my wishes for this season (in terms of GW basketball only...I am sure we are all hoping for an end to COVID) ) is that GW Rising is right, and that what we are witnessing now is the product of the purging of the lesser talent on the team (GWRising will probably not like my use of "purge") and the bringing in of a higher level of talent.   Players like Bishop, Harris, Moyer (I know many will disagree with my putting him on the list), Dean and LIndo, along with this years and next years freshman class may be an indication of it.   The jury is still out.  As painful as these growing pains are. I must try not to lose site of the fact that with the exception of Moyer and I believe Seymour, everyone else on the team  is either a first or second year player.  As much as we disputed whether or not some of the past teams should be considered young, there is not questioning that this team really is, and that most of the team  seem to have the potential to develop into high quality and complete Atlantic Ten quality players.   I am resigned to another  20 loss season, but by next season, I would expect to see a major jump. where we are again relevant.  So again, Happy New Years to all.   Even you, Dude.

Long Suffering Fan, thank you for the New Years wish.  I feel 2021 will see great progress in defeating COVID-19 and that alone will make 2021 good.  But what will make it even better will be giving Jamion our trust and support while he continues to transition the team into a durable and consistent winner.  Already we can see that Jamion has put us on on the right path with Bishop, Battle, Moyer, Seymour and other potentially good/great players committing to the team.  Most of us probably expect that such big transitions are with some bumps along the way (sometimes even some big bumps), but I feel the new year will bring great progress.  So, Happy New Years to you and everyone else.

Last edited by 22ndandF (1/01/2021 8:13 pm)

1/01/2021 3:47 pm  #4

Waxing nostalgic, I drove around campus today.  (I had to stop by my office on 7th Street between D and E so I thought I would swing by campus on the way home to Fredericksburg).  Quite depressing, between the rain and lack of people.  It had a post-apocalypse feel...like something out of Cinemax.   I was hoping I would be able to get a picture of my cardboard cutout through one of the windows but it didn't work.  Speaking of cardboard cutouts, I wonder if during the second Duquesne game at the Smitty...the one that is suppose to be their home game, they will remove our cutouts or turn them around.   In any event, even in this train wreck of a season, I still miss going to the games.   I miss the pre-game meals and talking with everyone and wondering which board members some of them are, I miss the lousy pep band (which I love), I miss the team warmups, I miss the cheer team, I miss the person in front of me who always leans his seat back too far, pinning me into my seat (ok, I probably don't miss that so much), of course I miss the games, the body English, the players interactions with each other. and the coach, on both teams,.all things that you cannot pickup on by simply watching on TV, I  miss coaching the team during the games, along with its constructive criticism and I miss watching the team heading happily back to the locker rooms after a win.   I even miss the ride to and from the games, home, passing the White House, Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Kennedy Center,, Pentagon and the other sites that make DC such a special place.   And still as much anguish and disappointment that I am experiences this season, I am still excited about the prospect of watching two games this weekend.   But TV is just not the same.   This damn Covid better be gone by the start of next season.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (1/01/2021 3:48 pm)

1/01/2021 6:56 pm  #5

There's something about being in the Smith Center and back on "campus" that makes the games special.
 Second LSF's extremely well expressed sentiments and especially the Happy and Better New Year to
all!

1/01/2021 9:05 pm  #6

Thanks LSF. I've come to expect the limited/lack of reporting from the Post sadly. Wishing you and all posters on the board a healthy and happy new year!

1/02/2021 10:31 am  #7

Well said, LSF. Even though we've lived in WI for 30 years, I still miss the GW game experience. 

1/02/2021 12:26 pm  #8

Still right there suffering with you, LSF!

1/05/2021 11:10 am  #9

Kind of late guys, but Happy New Year!  Haven't been to DC in many, many years. But I was just wondering guys. Did anyone go to any reunions? My 50th will be next year. 

Carl Slone was the coach in '70-71 following Wayne Dobbs.  Biggest win of the year was beating Cincinnati 95-89. Also going to Madison Square Garden and seeing Wally Szczerbiak battle Umass and some guy named Julius Erving.  Walt would have been a great NBA player. Next year we beat West Virginia. Our normal schedule as an independent Pitt, Maryland, Penn State, WVU, Cincinnati, Temple, Syracuse, and the school down the street. All home and homes. Although we went 11-14 my senior year we ended it on a happy note by beating Georgetown at their place 88-83. Many memories guys. Can't believe it's been this long.
TC

1/05/2021 12:45 pm  #10

Thank you for the kind words.  As someone who likes to see the glass as half full, I will say that the OOC season did a great job of preparing me for my dental appointment today

Board footera