GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/12/2023 1:21 pm  #201

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal Szn

Good pick-up for us. We have a chance to pull off a trifecta this week but not yet a lock by any means. Keep hope alive!

4/12/2023 1:33 pm  #202

GWRising wrote:

Good pick-up for us. We have a chance to pull off a trifecta this week but not yet a lock by any means. Keep hope alive!

Does this include Johnson or two others including Schroeder

4/12/2023 1:47 pm  #203

gwfan25 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

Does this include Johnson or two others including Schroeder

1. Bishop returns
2. Schroeder
3. ????? but possibly ACC post

Last edited by GWRising (4/12/2023 1:48 pm)

4/12/2023 1:57 pm  #204

Benny must be the "player to be named later" in the Joe Bamisile trade.

Sounds like an encouraging pickup but of course, I am concerned that our two new transfers are each coming off of fairly serious injury histories.  That said, I think that's recruiting life at GW to some extent.  Taking a chance on guys who might have otherwise been unavailable.  Love that CC is swinging for the fences.  If both are fully healthy, this should translate very well.

Welcome Benny.

4/12/2023 2:08 pm  #205

Gwmayhem wrote:

Benny must be the "player to be named later" in the Joe Bamisile trade.

Thank you.  

A funny and unintentional truth!

4/12/2023 2:10 pm  #206

Do we think Schroeder will get a redshirt for last year? I'm not intimately familiar with the new rules but from what I can tell he at least has a chance to get one. Bringing him in with four years of eligibility would be incredible. Either way I am very excited about this addition

4/12/2023 2:50 pm  #207

Article below says that Benny Schroeder was granted redshirt status and has 4 years of eligibility.

https://247sports.com/Article/George-Washington-basketball-lands-Oklahoma-transfer-guard-Benny-Schroeder-208246210/

4/12/2023 4:02 pm  #208

Great news but still no front court guys! Maybe we'll start 5 guards and pray alot. 

4/12/2023 6:54 pm  #209

With the transfer rules reset these transfers are a safer bet than an incoming freshman.  As I understand it since they have transferred 1x their next transfer would require them sitting out a year so feel good that they are here to stay.

We do need some 6-7 or 6-9 men.  Am okay with playing 4 aggressive guards - heavy ball pressure but still need at least 1 rim defender.

4/13/2023 6:13 am  #210

Again we need guys bigger than 6'7 or 6'8 --and athletic-- if we expect to move up in the league. Last season, legit big guys really hurt us both offensively and defensively.

4/13/2023 6:14 am  #211

@ThePortalReport  
Lenoir-Rhyne (D2) transfer TJ Nesmith told @ThePortalReport that he has heard from the following programs in the portal: Radford Ohio Coastal Carolina Morehead State Texas State Murray State Tulsa Milwaukee Appalachian State Cal State Fullerton George Washington Belmont

4/13/2023 9:41 am  #212

No idea what our level of interest is

=inherit=inheritA10_Vault =inherit@A10Vault  
recently spoke with Myles Foster about the schools that have recently reached out to him. Here is a list of A-10 schools that are in the mix. =inherit George Mason, GW, URI, Bonnies and SLU   10:07 AM · Apr 13, 2023

Last edited by Florida Colonial (4/13/2023 9:53 am)

4/13/2023 11:01 am  #213

Would seem to be food for thought for Hunter to pull out of the portal and return, with James returning, some potential shooters, incoming freshman guards, etc.

4/13/2023 11:07 am  #214

jf wrote:

Would seem to be food for thought for Hunter to pull out of the portal and return, with James returning, some potential shooters, incoming freshman guards, etc.

On the Twitter spaces the other night, one of the WRGW kids said he confirmed that Hunter would not be back next season.

4/13/2023 11:17 am  #215

Again, I would caution anyone who is reading a list of schools as having any meaning. Some of these names are just people kicking the tires, some of these names are generated by relationships with a coach and some of these names are flat out made up. Notice these days how every kid has a list of 10-25 schools, even the ones who didn't play much. It's mostly bs.

4/13/2023 11:32 am  #216

GWRising wrote:

Again, I would caution anyone who is reading a list of schools as having any meaning. Some of these names are just people kicking the tires, some of these names are generated by relationships with a coach and some of these names are flat out made up. Notice these days how every kid has a list of 10-25 schools, even the ones who didn't play much. It's mostly bs.

Thus the reason I put the disclaimer at the top of my post. 

Whats crazy is the portal doesnt seem to be slowing down. It must be so hard to determine when to fill a scholarship vs waiting to see who else joins the portal. It seems Caputo has always been very patient so that might pay off

Last edited by Florida Colonial (4/13/2023 11:45 am)

4/13/2023 12:27 pm  #217

There is also going to be a second wave of transfers in late April - May. 

4/13/2023 12:58 pm  #218

The portal is certainly a mess right now.

A number of these players will probably end up returning to their original school. I was a bit surprised that Jonathan Beagle, who won rookie of the year in the America East at Albany, decided to return to Albany after a lot of schools were pursuing him. It might have been a change of heart since it's closer to where he's from in NY but we'll see what happens a year from now. It wouldn't be surprising to see some of these players enter the portal to see "where their stock is at" and what they can get in terms of NIL compensation.

Then you got a player like Camren Hunter, who announced a top 5 schools list earlier in the offseason before later saying he was open to all schools again. He ended up picking a school that was on that top 5 list (Butler) only to decommit and return to his original school (Central Arkansas) just two days later. Just crazy stuff. It's best to not assume anyone is coming until the basketball season actually begins at this point.

In terms of what to do with the remaining scholarships, I'd agree that pretty much all of them should be going to bigs, but I wouldn't mind one going to a shooting guard/small forward that shoots the three well. GW shot 32% from 3 last year which is pretty bad and we're losing BA + EJ who were the best shooters in the backcourt. Max seems like a decent option there (and may even improve on his 35% from last year) but there isn't really any other sure thing from the guard position. Schröder is better attacking the hoop from what I've seen, Johnson is a ? having not played in a couple years, and it's hard to expect a freshman to deliver right away although Autry and Jones have potential from distance. Better spacing would help JB even more so teams can't zone us. I'm sure the staff knows that and is looking.

4/13/2023 1:29 pm  #219

This board does make me laugh at times.  If CC visits here, I wonder how often he reads something and screams out loud, "YOU THINK?"  As in, do you really think that CC could possibly not know that he can use some bigs?

Newsflash...Bigs are much tougher to come by.  There are far fewer of them to choose from.  Some are 100% projects with floors and ceilings as respectively low and high as one can imagine.  Others atre more polished and are ready to contribute right now.  What's GW's need?  A solid contributor who will help JB go out in style?  Or, a younger, underdeveloped player who can grow with the relative youth within this program?

JB, Brendan and Max each played considerable minutes this season out of necessity.  So much so that playing aggressively on defense was not an option because foul trouble was a luxury that this team could not afford.  The depth among our guards/wings has about doubled from a year ago.  This is a huge development 

The depth among our bigs will likely pale in comparison.  Then again, we may routinely play a smallish lineup which helps offset this.  No matter, let's keep the faith in CC and his staff.  They've given us no reason whatsoever not to.

4/13/2023 3:30 pm  #220

So are current frontline would be Keegan Harvey and walk-on Luke Cronin? 

Board footera