GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/19/2021 2:28 pm  #1

Team on Pause

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/1351587982898307072

"Source: George Washington is going on pause due to a COVID positive in its program, per source. Interesting situation at GW these days. It’s been out of D.C. since last week, staying in Fairfax, practicing at George Mason due to lockdown security in and around D.C."

1/19/2021 3:22 pm  #2

Re: Team on Pause

This is a shame.  Hoping anyone who is infected has a complete and speedy recovery.

1/19/2021 3:28 pm  #3

Echo Gwmayhem.

Unlike the one before, I wish I had better news. This is going to take awhile to resolve. Assume the next four games are in real jeopardy. That means we may have 6 to reschedule in A-10 play. Expect several back to backs if all are eventually made up. Ugh.

Last edited by GWRising (1/19/2021 3:28 pm)

1/19/2021 3:32 pm  #4

Hopefully a speedy recovery to whomever contracted, and a small silver lining, more time for Jamison Battle to recoup from his concussion

1/19/2021 4:46 pm  #5

It was head coach Jamion Christian himself who tested positive.
https://twitter.com/JamionChristian/status/1351641437109153796

1/19/2021 6:08 pm  #6

As per the GW official page, both the Dayton and URI games have been "postponed". No es bueno. Stay safe everyone, wear a mask, stay at home, wash your hands. This virus did not disappear like some sort of mircale in April or on Nov 4 because it was some sort of political ploy (lost a friend last week and friend lost her mother yesterday, this shit is very real).

1/19/2021 6:51 pm  #7

Am very sorry for your losses GWAA.

Hoping JC is back and better than ever in no time.

1/19/2021 10:19 pm  #8

Second the condolences for GWAA. A terrible thing.
We had been doing quite well in comparison to many other team under JC in dealing with Covid.
  And this apparently happened when we weren't in Foggy Bottom for unrelated reasons.
Hope if Coach Christian has symptoms, they stay mild.
He's young and strong and sure that we all hope that he feels better real soon.

1/20/2021 9:14 am  #9

Sorry to hear about your friend GWAA. Sending my condolences! 100% agree to follow all procedures to fight COVID. If you don't do it for yourself, at least do it for the sake of others.

Hope JC gets better soon. Not sure what mild symptoms really means from his statement, but any symptoms at all seem scary.

It's hard for the team to develop any consistency when there have been so many interruptions during conference play. At least they get some extra time to watch film.

1/21/2021 10:45 am  #10

I called for JC to get fired and I'm still not convinced he's the right coach for us ether in the short or long term but I most certainly do wish him a speedy recovery. Condolences to your friend @GWAA. Stay safe everyone! 

1/25/2021 3:21 pm  #11

Any news on if the Mason game is happening this week?

1/25/2021 5:41 pm  #12

1/25/2021 6:11 pm  #13

Is this the Season that should never have happened?

1/25/2021 8:18 pm  #14

Hmmmm. How many more "postponements" before shitcanning the season becomes a serious option? I see volleyball has issued a schedule (and starts playing this week) but ColonialsBall is yet to indicate it will have a season yet, Honestly, I would put health and safety ahead of fulfilling contractural obligations for games, but would hate to see the players and staff put so much in to a season that gets nipped in the bud.

1/25/2021 10:57 pm  #15

This could be awhile folks. I'm thinking February 6th as first possible date of play IF no additional positives (far from a foregone conclusion). On a more positive note, everyone (there are multiuple positives) seems to be doing well in dealing with the virus so far including JC. Let's hope that continues..

Last edited by GWRising (1/25/2021 10:59 pm)

1/26/2021 12:03 pm  #16

We have 13 A-10 games left to play. Given that Feb. 6 is probably the earliest next game, it's hard to see how we could finish conference play by the first week of March. Another delay and our season may be over. 

It would be nice to have more detail about what is happening now ad options for the rest of our season. Loyal fans like to be kept informed as much as possible.

1/26/2021 1:02 pm  #17

Am not suggesting that we will be in this group, but don't be surprised if many schools (or certainly more than you might think) opt out of playing in their conference tournaments.  Either their seasons will already have been cancelled over a Covid outbreak(s) or they will decide that the team has been through too much this season, coupled with having unrealistic chances of earning a postseason tournament slot.

1/26/2021 1:27 pm  #18

AT Hiker wrote:

We have 13 A-10 games left to play. Given that Feb. 6 is probably the earliest next game, it's hard to see how we could finish conference play by the first week of March. Another delay and our season may be over. 

It would be nice to have more detail about what is happening now ad options for the rest of our season. Loyal fans like to be kept informed as much as possible.

I think in fairness there is very little GW can accurately say right now.

First, the course of the virus and whether additional players and/or coaches will be affected is unknown. HIPAA prevents GW from discussing who is affected and how severely. The only reason we know about JC is because he publicly shared that he was positive. I can tell you that the current situation involves players and coaches but as to exactly how many, when they first tested positive, or which ones I do not know. However, I was led to believe that no one to date has had any severe symptoms, it is currently anticipated that all will recover well. However, as we are all aware, things can change quickly with respect to new infections etc.

Second, until the health situation is resolved enabling the team to re-start practices and games, it is difficult for GW  to put out a plan of rescheduled games.

1/26/2021 1:30 pm  #19

Gwmayhem wrote:

Am not suggesting that we will be in this group, but don't be surprised if many schools (or certainly more than you might think) opt out of playing in their conference tournaments.  Either their seasons will already have been cancelled over a Covid outbreak(s) or they will decide that the team has been through too much this season, coupled with having unrealistic chances of earning a postseason tournament slot.

At present, there is no plan to end the season. However, I would emphasize "at present". If GW were to continue to have a series of new positives setting the clock back each time, there could come a time where that would have to be considered.

Of secondary concern is that this issue will undoubtedly affect the 2021 NCAA tournament and Conference tournaments. Imagine if a number one seed has a positive test a day before their first game. The NCAA is going to have their hands full navigating this situation.

1/26/2021 1:41 pm  #20

GWRising wrote:

Of secondary concern is that this issue will undoubtedly affect the 2021 NCAA tournament and Conference tournaments. Imagine if a number one seed has a positive test a day before their first game. The NCAA is going to have their hands full navigating this situation.

They should probably just take the NET rankings and pick the top 68 teams for the tournament. If the school can’t play or opted out, take the next highest ranked team. Yes it would potentially make the conference tournaments irrelevant but it would probably be the safest option for all involved.

Board footera