GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2021 10:59 am  #1

Caroline McCombs is the New GW Women's Coach

Former McKeown assistant who has had great success at Stony Brook. Welcome!

4/02/2021 11:04 am  #2

Re: Caroline McCombs is the New GW Women's Coach

Good luck to Coach McCombs

4/02/2021 11:38 am  #3

4/02/2021 11:53 am  #4

Some takes from the release and hire. She is far more experienced a collegiate coach than Coach Rizz was when hired, and has seen how to make a small-budget program a national player. That Coach McKeown turned her on to GW is a testament to how lucky GW was to have ever been associated with him. That said, her career path is interesting, going from Associate Head Coach at a team with two straight NCAA´s to an assistant at Pitt and Auburn, big budget school with modest NCAA histories, and then landing at Northwestern (which until then had little pedigree but a certain fantastic coach at the helm turning things around). Getting SUNY-SB to the NCAA´s is no small feat. Then there is the stint heading the christianist "Athletes in Action" mission to Poland, which might clash with the more secular ambiance at GW (see Matt Allbitron).
I am optimistic this is an upgrade and that some of the very good young talent Rizz had on this year´s team thinks twice about transferring. Ali just needs to ask her dad about the excitement Joe brought to campus, if Coach McCombs can tap in to any of that mojo then this is going to be worth sticking around for (ask the players brought in by his predecessors who stuck around for Joe´s first seasons and wound up having great success).

4/02/2021 12:55 pm  #5

Gotta say, didn't see this coming.
This doesn't mean that much but, I like Coach McCombs records leading into her tenure at GW compared to you know who...

McCombs (4 seasons prior): 84-28, 46-16 AE (1 NCAA, 1 potential NCAA ppd COVID)
Rizzotti (4 seasons prior): 61-66, 34-30 AE (1 WNIT)

Love her quote in the release as well:
"GW has a storied tradition. Having worked under Joe McKeown at Northwestern, I was able to learn what a special place GW is. I look forward to helping restore this program as contenders in the Atlantic 10 and across the country."

4/02/2021 2:17 pm  #6

Just some clarifications- it was said that incoming Coach McCombs was far more experienced than Coach Rizzotti when hired. That is inaccurate. When GW hired Rizzotti, she had been Head Coach at Hartford for 17 years. By contrast, McCombs has been a Head Coach for 7 years. At Hartford, Rizzotti went to the NCAAs 6 times, and the WNIT 3 times. Ironically, both coaches cut their teeth in the American East Conference.

That being said, I don't think it has a lot of relevance as to how the new Coach will do. Time will tell, and hopefully, the program can find its way back to A10 prominence.

4/02/2021 4:25 pm  #7

When I look at their recent records before GW there seems to be a significant difference there.

4/02/2021 6:01 pm  #8

xAC wrote:

Just some clarifications- it was said that incoming Coach McCombs was far more experienced than Coach Rizzotti when hired. That is inaccurate. When GW hired Rizzotti, she had been Head Coach at Hartford for 17 years. By contrast, McCombs has been a Head Coach for 7 years. At Hartford, Rizzotti went to the NCAAs 6 times, and the WNIT 3 times. Ironically, both coaches cut their teeth in the American East Conference.

That being said, I don't think it has a lot of relevance as to how the new Coach will do. Time will tell, and hopefully, the program can find its way back to A10 prominence.

Thanks xAC, that was a total brain fart on my part (I blame my advancing age, but just plain stupidity on my part is probably more to blame). Hopefully the expectations at GW are not too big a task for Coach McCombs and she hangs so many banners that the structural integrity of the Smith Center ceiling is compromised!

4/08/2021 3:32 pm  #9

4/20/2021 3:37 pm  #10

Any idea of the timing of a staff announcement?

4/28/2021 1:04 pm  #11

4/28/2021 1:35 pm  #12

Board footera