GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/17/2021 6:53 am  #21

Re: Softball (Spring) 2021

It feels like the committee screwed us over (as usual) by sticking us with three other Louisiana teams in Baton Rouge, especially if there's going to be fan support at the games. Still, the team has had a phenomenal year and Winkler seems to have turned this team into a consistent contender in the A10 since he arrived a few years ago (although I think many of the seniors arrived prior to his hiring so it will be interesting to see who comes in next year).

Our first opponent Louisiana seems to make the tournament every year and finished the season ranked #14. It appears their roster is made up of a lot of down transfers from P5 schools (we don't have too many transfers on the team). Surprised we never got votes in the poll given our RPI but I guess the A10 isn't a particularly strong league. I still think we can keep the game competitive for sure.

5/17/2021 9:18 am  #22

dmvpiranha wrote:

It feels like the committee screwed us over (as usual) by sticking us with three other Louisiana teams in Baton Rouge, especially if there's going to be fan support at the games.

How can the committee "screw us over (as usual)" when this is the first-ever NCAA appearance by GW?

5/17/2021 9:40 am  #23

I turned the selection show on long enough to see GW's selection.  I'm not going to pretend that I follow the sport closely but I will say that when I saw the pairings, it was impossible for me not to think of UNC Wilmington, then Duke, both in Greensboro.

Best of luck to these young ladies.  As everyone should appreciate, it's a great accomplishment to win a conference championship and go dancing (or whatever the softball equivalent is to dancing).

5/17/2021 10:14 am  #24

Steve Urkel wrote:

dmvpiranha wrote:

It feels like the committee screwed us over (as usual) by sticking us with three other Louisiana teams in Baton Rouge, especially if there's going to be fan support at the games.

How can the committee "screw us over (as usual)" when this is the first-ever NCAA appearance by GW?

I wasn't specifically referring to softball, but GW sports in general. As GWMayhem mentioned, when the pods were announced it reminded me of the times when MBB were placed with UNCW and Duke in NC as well as the time WBB as a 6 seed was sent to Oregon to play a lower seeded Gonzaga team a few years ago (where the winner faced Oregon State). It's more of a disadvantage from a fan standpoint than anything else. I get the sense that these teams in LA have more of a following.

Regardless, very happy for the seniors that they get to go out on top and leave their mark on a still relatively young softball program that hasn't even been around for 20 years and one that has a lot of momentum moving forward.

5/17/2021 1:56 pm  #25

Actually thought the committee showed GW a lot of respect in its seeding. In terms of tournament teams, GW split games with Villanova, won 3 of 4 at UMBC, and lost 1 to JMU 8-4 very early in the season at UVA after leading 4-1 going into the 7th. Subsequent scheduled DH at JMU was called off on 2 consecutive weeks because of inclement weather. A-10 level of play was down this year which was compounded by pod scheduling. Only 2 “nearby” sites were pre-selected for hosting and both of them, Clemson and Virginia Tech, stubbed their toes in the field and were 2 of the 4 pre-selected sites not to make the final cut of 16 host sites. One could argue that Louisiana was one of the Eastern quadrant sites they could be placed in rather than being sent out west like Villanova and UMBC. From a player/parent perspective it might have been better to be sent out west given the hometowns  of some key starters and reserves but GW really does have a diverse geographical diversity in its roster.

As for the seeding itself, being the third seed in a bracket headed by the 7 seed at the top is a very respectable recognition of where the program is. This team will not be intimidated by anyone but the pitching and hitting skills of the top 64 teams (acknowledging that some are lesser soon to be eliminated automatic qualifiers) are on a much higher level than what GW has faced. GW was able to play some of these teams last year in the opening season tourney in Puerta Villarta, Mexico, including #1 seed Oklahoma, and demonstrated that they weren’t afraid to play them. Got run-ruled 3 times but also lost tight games to BYU and Oklahoma. And those were played without the injured Sierra Lange. Louisiana is a perennial tourney participant but not one ti which GW will wave a white flag. Colonials could win and they could lose. Certainly won’t be the favorites. But don’t underestimate the fight in this team. Coach Shane Winkler has fostered a confidence and camaraderie in these women that would be the envy of any GW team. Their spirit was apparently demonstrated at the men’s baseball game on Sunday. They get the chance to play in the NCAA tournament that was denied them 2 years ago by bad weather and a lack of required lights in Amherst. Getting to this point was one of their goals this year. Now they join 63 other teams in entering the survive and advance phase of that goal. However it turns out, this is one of the greatest teams to have ever represented GW.

5/18/2021 1:12 am  #26

Poog wrote:

Actually thought the committee showed GW a lot of respect in its seeding. In terms of tournament teams,
.. They get the chance to play in the NCAA tournament that was denied them 2 years ago by bad weather and a lack of required lights in Amherst. Getting to this point was one of their goals this year. Now they join 63 other teams in entering the survive and advance phase of that goal. However it turns out, this is one of the greatest teams to have ever represented GW.

Poog I totally appreciate your post. I have watched games for years and really like this team. I hope that the school focuses resources on this program.

5/20/2021 3:13 pm  #27

5/21/2021 8:36 pm  #28

Tough loss for the ladies tonight.  Not sure why the SS went for the tag there instead of stepping on 2nd?

5/22/2021 8:12 am  #29

What is the status of Jenna Cone. They may have mentioned it on the broadcast but I didn't get to see it all

5/22/2021 10:09 pm  #30

Women lost 12-zip today.  Bats deserted them this weekend.   I suspect it may have been due to the lack of good pitching in the A10, perhaps the true followers will let us fair weather fans know what happened.

6/21/2021 2:24 pm  #31

Coach Winkler was hired as East Carolina HC and hired Jenna Cone and Kiana Quolas as assistant coaches (Cone her first coaching job and Quolas was an assistant coach here). 

7/09/2021 7:27 am  #32

The new softball coach is Chrissy Schoonmaker, an assistant at Harvard this past year and a former infielder at South Carolina. I believe Winkler was already a head coach at Charleston Southern when he got the GW job.

It will be interesting to see how she fares - she definitely seems well liked and well respected in the industry.

https://gwsports.com/news/2021/7/8/schoonmaker-named-gw-softball-head-coach.aspx

Board footera