GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/31/2021 9:42 am  #1

Transfer: Brendan Adams, Guard, 2018 - Transferring from Connecticut

Brendan Adams
Year: 2018
Position: PG
Height: 6-4
Hometown: Baltimore, MD
High School: Calvert Hall College HS (Towson, MD)
AAU Team: Team Melo (MD)

Eligibility: Immediate Eligible, two years to play.

Offers (out of high school): Columbia, Connecticut, George Mason, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Hofstra, Kansas State, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Rhode Island, Siena, St. Bonaventure, St. Joe's, Stanford, Towson, Wyoming

Statistics: (from freshman year at Connecticut): 31 GP, 12.7 mpg; 2.6 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 0.7 apg, 0.2 spg; 30% FG, 24% 3-pt, 79% FT
                (from sophomore year at Connecticut): 31 GP, 22 mpg; 7.4 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 1.1 apg, 0.1 bpg, 0.5 spg; 39% FG, 28% 3-pt, 73% FT
                (from junior year at Connecticut): 16 GP, 20.1 mpg; 4.5 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 1.5 apg, 0.1 bpg, 0.6 spg; 30% FG, 29% 3-pt, 72% FT

Best Performances: 11/5/20 vs. Central Connecticut State (15 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists; 6-10 FG, 3-5 3-pt in 26 minutes) (Last Year)
11/21/19 vs. Buffalo (20 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists; 5-6 FG, 2-2 3-pt, 8-10 FT in 25 minutes) (Career Best)

Brendan will add some nice depth at the guard position and is a bit of a combo guard in nature. RJ Cole handled much of the PG duties for the Huskies this year. I assume that he will probably fill the final starting lineup spot. He originally committed to URI but followed Hurley to UConn. His older brother Jaylen was a stud in the A10, finishing as the top scoring guard in St. Bonaventure history.

Welcome Brendan! This team will be a lot of fun to watch next season. We originally offered Brendan on 9/8/15.

Links
247Sports
Game Log
Twitter Account
Verbal Commits

GW Commitment Tweet

7/13/2021 4:28 pm  #2

Re: Transfer: Brendan Adams, Guard, 2018 - Transferring from Connecticut

"Great kid, great family."  That was the first comment I received from of all people, one of Brendan's former teachers in Baltimore.  Next thought?  "Really smart guy."  That checks out.  Brendan was an all-academic when UCONN was competing in the American Athletic Conference, and has graduated from Storrs in three years with a degree in economics.  With two years of eligibility remaining, there's an excellent chance that Brendan will receive a Master's degree, all while on scholarship.  That's an achievement.

Brendan was Dan Hurley's first recruit at UCONN.  He had planned on attending URI and then followed Hurley to UCONN.  He showed strong improvement during his sophomore season which included a 20 point game off the bench against a Nate Oats coached Buffalo team and hit four three pointers while scoring 16 in an overtime win against Cincinnati.  Last season, he replaced James Bouknight in the starting lineup when Bouknight went down with an injury.  He averaged over 25 minutes per game of playing time during that stretch.  Included in that stretch was a 9 rebound game in a loss to Creighton. He would have been a big, physical guard for URI in the A10.  In the Big East, he was neither quite so big nor quite so physical.

Quite frankly, the shooting prowess that he had exhibited at Calvert Hall has not translated at the college level.  In three seasons of college ball, he has yet to eclipse the 40% mark from the floor, or the 30% mark from downtown.  When Bouknight returned to the lineup, he took Brendan's minutes with him, including a couple of notable DNP's down the stretch.  Perhaps Hurley knew then that Brendan would be moving on.  In any case, nobody heard a single complaint about it.  In fact, Brendan continued to be who he always was, the first guy off the bench to congratulate a teammate after a big moment, even while he was being benched.  

Brendan is the younger brother of Jaylen Adams who performed sensationally for St. Bonaventure.  Brendan is not a point guard nor is he the shooter or scorer that Jaylen is.  At this lower level, Brendan will need to become a reliable perimeter threat.  The 1-3 positions on this team are somewhat crowded given the presence of Bishop, Freeman, Bamisile, Harris, perhaps Nixon, and Adams.  (I'll refer to Ricky as a 4 even though he may often play like an oversized 3.)  It stands to reason that we will frequently be playing three of these players at this same time and on some occasions, perhaps this team goes very small playing 4 points/wings at a time.  

It's practically impossible not to root for someone like Brendan.  A hard worker, smart young man, and consummate team player.  I hope to watch him become a major on-court contributor for this team.  And if by chance this turns out not to be the case, if the shooting stroke doesn't improve, if other players take the lion's share of his potential minutes, what we'll still be left with is a true leader and positive influence on this team.  Character traits that are especially welcome on this team.

7/13/2021 9:29 pm  #3

Brendan sounds like he could bring a lot on the boards for a guard and should be motivated to significantly improve his shooting if he wants to earn major minutes.
  His character stands out as presented by GWMayhem. Impressive academics always welcome on our team.

7/15/2021 2:21 pm  #4

Nice to see such an influx of athleticism, GW's fortunes really declined when we started turning to transfers like Steeves and Sina with club team level athleticism

7/15/2021 2:32 pm  #5

The Dude wrote:

Nice to see such an influx of athleticism, GW's fortunes really declined when we started turning to transfers like Steeves and Sina with club team level athleticism

Somehow I don't think that was the reason for GW's fortunes declining lol. Had more to do with poor decision-making by former administrators.

Last edited by GWRising (7/15/2021 2:33 pm)

7/15/2021 4:46 pm  #6

Conversation about BBall talent between dumb and dumber - priceless!
Can't wait for the season to start so the posters here with relevant info will come back from their hiatus.

7/15/2021 5:56 pm  #7

Revisionist history on 2 players who stepped up and made signficant contributions to a team effort,esp at their positions.
  Think they performed a lot better than some in the revolving door the last couple of years.
And there is no reason to denigrate either one.

7/16/2021 9:11 am  #8

I think that Brendan possesses the needed maturity to slide into a 6th man role and embrace it.  My sense is that he wants to have a more consistent role with a team.  That would be fine it it turned out to be in the 20-25 minute per game range.  Playing 30 minutes one game and wondering if you'll be playing at all the next game is something I'm guessing he'd rather not go through again. 

7/16/2021 9:28 am  #9

Brendan's numbers should more closely resemble his sophomore year than his junior year. Have to remember UConn jumped from the American to the Big East. He went from playing in a conference similar to the A10 to one of the best conferences in the country.

7/16/2021 12:24 pm  #10

I will repeat what someone else said on the board, I can't believe that Adams would transfer to GW to come off the bench. But this might be more important-- I can't believe that JC would start the season with a freshman --no matter how good Freeman is -- as his starting point guard. In addition to normal concerns about a freshman point guard, let's not forget how much JC's offense is focused on the point guard. He has said he wants the point guard to be a major scorer, not just a distributor.  

7/16/2021 1:38 pm  #11

GW73 wrote:

I will repeat what someone else said on the board, I can't believe that Adams would transfer to GW to come off the bench. But this might be more important-- I can't believe that JC would start the season with a freshman --no matter how good Freeman is -- as his starting point guard. In addition to normal concerns about a freshman point guard, let's not forget how much JC's offense is focused on the point guard. He has said he wants the point guard to be a major scorer, not just a distributor.  

You might underestimate Brendan Adams’ character.

Also, there’s nothing that says Bishop and Freeman can’t both start together, with, say, Freeman off the ball 30% of the time and Bishop 70%, of more like 50-50.   Having two guys on the court who can imitate the offense will make us much less predictable, more easily able to exploit matchups than we were last year, and more efficient.

7/16/2021 4:05 pm  #12

Not underestimating Adams' character. I don't know a think about it. But I have watched two years of JC's teams. I saw how he uses his point guards and how his starting lineup changes from the beginning of the season. So while Freeman could eventually be the starting point guard, it's hard to see how he will begin the season as the starting point guard. As far as Freeman and Bishop sharing the point guard duties, that seems kind of scary.  From what we saw of Bishop last season, I would be pleasantly surprised to see him sharing the ball. 

7/20/2021 1:48 pm  #13

Fantastic off-season.  Brought in too many guys like Matt Cimino who couldn't find the court on a last placed AU team

this year we've got a collection of high-major inbound talent coming to GW

7/20/2021 5:05 pm  #14

Your Honor (Barry), please strike the above post as unresponsive, lacking relevancy and argumentative. This thread has nothing to do with Matt Cimino. 

Last edited by GWRising (7/20/2021 5:05 pm)

7/20/2021 5:09 pm  #15

Hoping you have the ability to cut and paste, GWRising.

7/21/2021 10:46 am  #16

As a players Coach JC can entice top flight talent

Which is a marked difference from when word gets out your about to be fired for abusing your own players

JC is putting the pieces back together very intrigued by this influx of new talent

Board footera