GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/01/2021 10:29 am  #1

GW versus James Madison Thread

Next up for GW is James Madison (JMU) from just down the road in Harrisonburg, Va. They play in the Colonial Athletic Conference (CAA), where they have maintained a status in the upper tier in recent years, having won the CAA regular season title as recently as the 2019-2020 and 2018-2019 seasons. They were picked to finish 3rd this year in the CAA coaches' preseason poll, which is meaningless, as JMU is not eligible for any post season activity due to their move to the Sun Belt Conference effective in June 2022.

This year, JMU is currently 3-3, including a significant win versus Virginia, and a big loss to Maryland. They lost their last outing to Buffalo last week in a nationally televised contest. They are led by preseason All-Conference selection Kiki Jefferson, who is averaging 19.5 ppg on 44% shooting. As a team, JMU is averaging 65 ppg on 37% shooting. By contrast, GW is averaging 45.8 ppg on 32% shooting.

Although the numbers don't look good for GW, scheduling probably plays a big role. In the latest NCAAW RPI, JMU's strength of schedule (SOS) is at 258. GW's SOS is at 21. It's early in the season, so these SOS ratings will eventually converge, but for now, it shows that GW has to stick to its formula of tough defense, and scoring enough points to win. JMU has handled GW pretty easily in the last two outings, so it would be nice to reverse the trend.

12/01/2021 1:34 pm  #2

Re: GW versus James Madison Thread

It's ridiculous that JMU isn't eligible for the CAA tournament. The athletes shouldn't be punished for a decision they had nothing to do with

12/02/2021 8:25 pm  #3

Women up at the end of 3Q.

GW 44 JMU 37 

12/02/2021 9:02 pm  #4

GW 54-50. Nice win. Tonight, Nya Lok became the 8th different player to lead the team in scoring in 8 games. She had 15 pts, including 3-3's. 

Great contributions all around, and some clutch plays following some misplays. Great composure and really stout defense when needed. Shooting still needs to improve, as we again missed several easy, close-in shots. 

First win over JMU since 2006.

Last edited by xAC (12/02/2021 9:02 pm)

12/02/2021 9:04 pm  #5

Women win in a nail-biter 54-50.  Nya Lok had 15 points for a career high (I believe).   Gingras hit 2 FTs at the end to cinch the game.   GW now 5-3.

12/02/2021 9:51 pm  #6

Only losses are to power 5 conference teams

12/02/2021 9:57 pm  #7

Like what I've seen from McCombs so far overall this season from the games I've seen. The bar was probably the floor offensively, but the scoring potential is much higher on this year's team (Ali was options 1, 2, and 3 last year). If only we had more players consistently healthy this season - it feels like three are out for any given game, but there is some depth on this team. The team plays gritty and doesn't get rattled despite all the new integrations. Defense has of course been great with the rotations, and we're roughly top 25 in points allowed this season.

The JUCO additions have given the team a boost offensively. Nya Lok was someone who stood out to me in the open scrimmage in the preseason and it's good to see her finally healthy. Between her and Sheslanie (got off to a slow start to start the year), there is definitely some three point shooting on this team which is very much a welcome sight. Hope both are healthy at the same time at some point this year. Begs the question again whether MBB should explore looking in the JUCO ranks instead of solely freshmen and transfers. There's obvious risk, but there's some good players in that pool who would be good fits at GW on and off the court.

Obviously, the offense is still a work in progress but it seems like McCombs gets the most out of this roster. Essence with the lockdown defense, Aurea orchestrating the offense (and looking more confident when looking for her shot with clutch free throws at the end), Kyara as someone who can score when needed earlier in the game. Taylor has made plays when her number has been called (great play design late when she got the ball underneath, ball just rimmed out. She's also an underrated three point shooter), and Ty is perhaps the best at creating her own shot (she takes good shots but sometimes the execution isn't always there - hope her knee is okay). Mayowa is very patient in the post, showing her experience and finishing inside. Even Sophie as a freshman came in and had a nice defensive sequence. Sierra didn't play much tonight but was the spark plug in the Florida game and really got us back in the game late when it seemed like we were pretty much dead in the water. Overall, McCombs has done a good job addressing some needs with the transfers. Could use more size down low next year. Loving will definitely help there next season.

From her previous teams at Stony Brook, it doesn't seem like McCombs ever had teams that hit the 70s in scoring, but I'm sure she'll be looking at finding more offensive firepower for next season. Robertson seems like she'll be a pretty good scorer next year. Think this team could definitely finish in the 5-7 range in the A10 which would very much outperform the 12th place preseason rank.

Someone send JC and the MBB team these highlights to study. They could take some notes from WBB right now with shot selection and passing.

https://twitter.com/GW_WBB/status/1466561780939956224
https://twitter.com/GW_WBB/status/1466564637554524163
https://twitter.com/GW_WBB/status/1466567071735689216

12/02/2021 11:30 pm  #8

I agree with basically everything that's been said here. I'm a big fan of McCombs and I really think she knows what she's doing (especially defensively). The offense does worry me a little bit but hopefully they'll improve as the season goes on. I'm a big fan of Gingras. I just love watching her play. I'm excited to see what they can do the rest of this year and very optimistic for next year when McCombs is able to put more of her fingerprints on the program with her recruits and whatnot.

12/03/2021 8:19 am  #9

I agree that overall size is our weakness, but I think the remaining schedule has fewer quality bigs than the likes of Virginia Tech and Florida. I originally had some concerns with Haydon, because as a freshman, she needed to develop some upper body strength and stronger hands, but I have been impressed by her confidence and willingness to mix it up, and I think she's ahead (of my) schedule. 

As a whole, I think one difference between this year's team and those from recent years is that they play with confidence, both as a team, andas individuals. Lot of basketball left, but so far, there's reason to be optimistic.

Last edited by xAC (12/03/2021 9:18 am)

12/03/2021 12:07 pm  #10

Good win!

Board footera