GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/24/2021 12:57 pm  #1

Transfer: Keegan Harvey, Forward, 2020 - Transferring from Charleston

Keegan Harvey
Year: 2020
Position: PF
Height: 6-11
Hometown: Newcastle, Australia
High School: Montverde Academy (Montverde, FL)
AAU Team: AUSA Hoops (TX)

Eligibility: Four years of eligibility.

Statistics (from freshman year at Charleston): 15 GP, 8.3 MPG; 3.1 PPG, 1.8 RPG, 0.3 APG, 0.3 BPG, 0.1 SPG; 49% FG, 44% 3-PT, 38% FT

Best Performances (against D1 competition): 12/11/20 vs. South Carolina State (8 points, 4 rebounds; 4-6 FG, 0-1 3-PT in 14 minutes)
                                                                           1/10/21 vs. Drexel (8 points, 4 rebounds, 2 blocks; 3-3 FG, 2-2 3-PT in 13 minutes)

Since Keegan has four years left, this is effectively a HS recruit and that too an international one! His collects vinyls as a hobby and is a really good student as well. Seems like a good fit, and we could definitely use his shooting which will provide some unique looks as a stretch 5. Harvey is a systems engineering major.

Welcome to Foggy Bottom Keegan!!

Links
247Sports
Article
Bio
Game Log
HoopSeen
Hudl
MaxPreps
Proballers
Verbal Commits

GW Commitment Tweet

11/24/2021 1:21 pm  #2

Re: Transfer: Keegan Harvey, Forward, 2020 - Transferring from Charleston

Australian, 6'11

Shot 44% from 3 last year

11/24/2021 1:47 pm  #3

Admittedly, not knowledgeable about this recruit.

It will be interesting if he ends his collegiate career at GW. He shot 44% from beyond the arc, but like most of our other transfers, he was not a major contributor to his team, playing just 8 minutes a game. The only difference is that he doesn't come from a Power 5 school. Did he transfer because of lack of playing time? Don't see how coming to GW solves his problem, if that's the case.

I hope he has a great GW career and also given a chance to develop, without having the pressure of high expectations on his shoulders. 

11/24/2021 2:49 pm  #4

3 Things I like about this

1. Three point shooter

2. 6'11 with long arms

3.  International player.  GW wins when it lands international players.  Every good GW period has heavily international

11/24/2021 3:01 pm  #5

The coach who recruited him left to take over BC

He stayed at CofC but suffered a concussion and hadn’t played this year.  Decided to transfer after recovering. 

Went to HS powerhouse Montverde Academy (Patricio Garino’s School )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EskAUMU4Gb4

11/24/2021 3:11 pm  #6

Wow...I agree with the Dude!

I would love for GW to go international again. Yinka, Koul, Pops, and Larsen. Some of our best big men, though I'd still be happy with Mike Brown, and Tyler Cavenaugh. Just seems as if we can't get them right now. And we can't forget the non big men international players. International would be great, but a transfer international probably doesn't mean we're going in that direction.

11/24/2021 3:39 pm  #7

Thank you to GWRising for giving us some advance preparation, to Hugh for being the one to first find it on Twitter and post about it on this site, and to DMVPiranha for providing the complete report on Keegan in the Recruits section.

Keegan played the rough equivalent of three full games last season (8+ minutes per game over 15 games).  To glean anything much from his statistics based on such a small sample size is silly.  Since he went 3-8 from the foul line, should we safely assume that he will be a subpar free throw shooter of under 40% in the future?  Perhaps he enjoys taking three point shots but to state his shooting 44% from 3 last year without providing the context that this amounted to 10-23 from 3, as if this is to imply that's what should be expected in the future, is a bit disingenuous.

Florida Colonial gave us the most worthwhile nugget, that he played at Montverde.  While there are exceptions to everything, this should mean that he was very well coached in high school.

Welcome aboard Keegan.  

Last edited by Gwmayhem (11/24/2021 3:41 pm)

11/24/2021 7:26 pm  #8

Welcome Keegan, best of luck on and off the court.

11/24/2021 9:29 pm  #9

I hope he’s a lot better than his freshman year numbers on a bad team suggest.  We don’t need any more guys taking scholarships who can’t contribute to winning.

11/24/2021 9:46 pm  #10

My thoughts echo yours, FQ. Hopefully it works out, but this doesn’t make me particularly optimistic

11/24/2021 9:54 pm  #11

With this level of "coaching," why does it matter what recruits we get?  

11/25/2021 1:15 pm  #12

As we await the arrival of our latest 3.1 ppg, 1.8 rpg transfer, one thing is becoming increasingly clear is that patching together a team from the transfer portal does not appear to be a formula for success for us either on a short or long term basis.  Given the fundamental flaws in so many of our players games, I am not optimistic that everything will mesh after they have played together for a while.  We are getting transfers that are making physical and mental errors on the court that we should never see, from game one out of the box.  In any event, welcome Keegan.   At least on paper, you are just what we needed, namely a 6'11" stretch forward who can knock down a three.   And you should get plenty of early playing time.  And the meal plan is great...at least it was in the early 70s.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (11/25/2021 1:20 pm)

11/25/2021 5:29 pm  #13

Impressive academic interests.
Welcome to Keegan and family to our GW Colonial family.

12/10/2021 10:32 am  #14

12/10/2021 11:51 am  #15

Will be eligible in 2022-23 so like DMVPiranha said basically like announcing a high schooler signing a NLI.

12/10/2021 11:57 am  #16

6'11 three point shooter.

Perfect addition. Badly needed skillet

4 years of eligibility remaining

12/10/2021 11:57 am  #17

My guess is that they are still appealing to have him eligible immediately

12/10/2021 12:05 pm  #18

Florida Colonial wrote:

My guess is that they are still appealing to have him eligible immediately

Don't hold your breath on this. Seems as if immediate eligibility is not in the cards.

12/10/2021 3:05 pm  #19

So Keegan fills gapare’s spot for next year?

That means two new guys next year. How many spots left?

12/10/2021 4:09 pm  #20

We have 13 scholarships. Assuming there are no defections (I would not bet on that in this day and age), I would assume we would have at least 2 more after Keegan and Jabari.

Assume

Bishop
Freeman
Bamisile
Dean
Brown
Adams
Samuels
Nixon
Lee
Harvey
West

That's 11. Lindo has indicated he will go pro. Harris should graduate. 

Board footera