GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/06/2022 12:16 pm  #1

GW's Alltime (Since 1980) Transfer Team

My rules are:

Pick three five player teams.  

Since we do have a historical absence of centers who have transferred in, don't worry about centers.  Pick a point guard, shooting guard, small forward, power forward, and wild card as your five man team.  (You can take some liberties but at least let them be reasonable).

I've done this by memory so am fairly confident that I've forgotten some guys.  If you go back before my time and have others to add, feel free.

First Team

PF Zeke Armwood
SF Tyler Cavanaugh
SG Mo Creek
PG James Bishop
WC Joe Bamisile

Second Team

PF Bill Brigham
SF Ricky Lindo
SG Wilbert Skipper
PG Bernard Barrow
WC: Regus Koundjia

Third Team

PF  Wynton Witherspoon
SF  Brendan Adams
SG  Brian Magid
PG  Alex Mitola
WC  Jaren Sina

Others receiving votes:  Mike Brey, Omo Moses, Amir Harris, Cheyene Moore, Lafante Johnson

Hoping To Make One Of These Teams Soon: Max Edwards

Let the debates begin!

10/06/2022 12:29 pm  #2

Re: GW's Alltime (Since 1980) Transfer Team

Patrick Steeves was pretty good too.

10/06/2022 1:58 pm  #3

Jonquel Jones not listed?
Wasn´t Joe Bam a "one year wonder" on a team that was so crummy the coach got canned? (If that is a qualifying criteria, maybe include Atilla, The -Gate, too-- his sexual assault in a dorm room also spared us any more of TP´s damage to the school).
Do JUCO´s count? If so, Gerald Jackson is a first team player.
Might want to revise your list...

Last edited by GW Alum Abroad (10/06/2022 2:27 pm)

10/06/2022 2:09 pm  #4

Someone who had two good years at GW was Bob Lindsay (who followed the Tallents to GW). 
In case you forgot, I found this nice article about him from 1978.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1978/02/02/a-fighter/ef55ab6e-ad47-4013-9d46-c28d0fe4c242/

10/06/2022 2:37 pm  #5

Even though he only played one year, Bob Tallent did score 29 points a game.

10/06/2022 2:47 pm  #6

Would replace Mitola with Armel Potter for third team. I know Armel put up numbers on a bad team, but I feel like Mitola is remembered fondly because of that game-winner against Hofstra in the first round of the NIT. He was a decent secondary playmaker/guy who knew his role but he couldn't finish inside the arc consistently and was just an okay player at GW. I'm fine with leaving DJ Williams off because despite good stats, he didn't really do other things that contribute to winning. Armel was never able to find his three point range after his freshman year at Charleston Southern, but was tough to keep out of the lane and was a great passer in JC's ball screen offense. He wasn't fully healthy in his first year with Mojo so he put up more modest numbers (and was also not used properly imo).

Agree with DC Native that I would add Steeves to at least the others receiving votes section along with Bo Zeigler, who is the perfect high energy bouncy forward that can come off the bench and give a team good minutes.

I know he has to take a big step forward this year, but I'm hoping Hunter Dean can qualify for the others list as well after this year. If he can improve his confidence offensively, I think he can be a lot more productive than he showed last season. Maybe Keegan Harvey as well down the line.

10/06/2022 4:07 pm  #7

I have every intention of revising my teams once I receive all comments.  Would like to know what your teams would be as well.  My comments before revising my teams:

1) I never saw Bob Tallent play but there's little question that he is a first team selection.  Other one year players also made my list.

2) Jucos do count and Gerald Jackson was a great player that I missed.  Am not sure he's an automatic first-team player but definitely first or second.

3) I definitely forgot Steeves, Hunter, Potter, DJ and Atila.  I tried to remember Bo's name but could not think of it.  Steeves, Hunter and Bo are automatically in my "others" category.  DJ was talented but I did not like his selfishness.  Atila should not even be mentioned.  Armel is a distinct 3rd team possibility.

4) Also just thought of Terry Nolan, Jr.  We certainly have had a lot of transfers this century. 

5) Sorry but no Jonquel on what is clearly a men's basketball player list.  

I'l wait on some more thoughts and comments and revise my teams next week.

10/06/2022 4:26 pm  #8

Terry Nolan wasn't a transfer.  He was committed to UT Chat before McCall got the UMass job but never played there.

10/06/2022 5:10 pm  #9

GW0509 wrote:

Terry Nolan wasn't a transfer.  He was committed to UT Chat before McCall got the UMass job but never played there.

Thanks GW0509.  No wonder I didn't think of Terry initially.  

Board footera