GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/04/2022 11:46 am  #1

GW versus University of Virginia (UVA) Thread

Seems like forever since the last game, but on Monday we get to see GW WWB back in action for the 2022-2023 campaign against the University of Virgina (UVA), a Power 5 (ACC) opponent.  Unlike many other teams, GW did not have an opportunity for a tune-up or exhibition, so this will truly be our first real game experience of the season.

UVA was 5-22 last year (2-14 in the ACC) and returns most of last year’s team, including their top two scorers Camryn Taylor (12.8 ppg, 6 rpg) and Mir McLean (11.3 ppg, 8.3 rpg). Also returning is point guard Taylor Valladay (9.5 ppg, 3.7 apg). UVA added one graduate student of note – Sam Brunelle from Notre Dame, who averaged 10 ppg over a 3 year career at Notre Dame in 80 games played.  This past Thursday, UVA defeated Piit (Johnstown) in an exhibition game 92-45.

GW returns a veteran squad, losing only one key player, Frames, to graduation. This year’s success will depend on how well we can sustain our defensive intensity from last season, how well we’ve improved in our offense, and how well the newcomers integrate into the system.

Last season, UVA beat GW at the Smith Center (62-53) in a closely contested game, except for a bad GW stretch in the 3rd quarter. In that game Nya Lok had a breakout game with 26 points, but Kyara Frames sat out with an injury.

This is a good match-up for GW, but it would have been nice to have some game experience under our belts. This will be our first look at the team, our first opportunity to assess our progress from last year, and our first chance to prognosticate about the rest of the season.

11/04/2022 12:57 pm  #2

Re: GW versus University of Virginia (UVA) Thread

Not mentioned on GW´s site, but as per UVa´s official website the game will be available on the ACCN streaming service (I think it is part of ESPN).

11/04/2022 1:27 pm  #3

GW played Hampton in an exhibition that was closed to the public and won. Wasn't announced anywhere but it was played after the men's exhibition on Sunday. Apparently Blethen looked good

11/05/2022 4:02 pm  #4

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

Not mentioned on GW´s site, but as per UVa´s official website the game will be available on the ACCN streaming service (I think it is part of ESPN).

Just to clarify. The game can be live-streamed on ACCNx via the ESPN APP you use on ROKU/FireTV/Apple TV, etc. to stream the ESPN+ games. The "x" version of ACCN is similar "+" version of ESPN (i.e., games not available on the TV (ACCN) network can be streamed on the APP). If you go into the ESPN APP and scroll down to the available sports networks you'll see both ACCN and AACNx availabe to you. As long as you susbscibe to a service that provides ESPN (the network, including ACC), you can stream any ACC game that is available on ACCNx.

Last edited by xAC (11/06/2022 2:59 pm)

11/05/2022 4:17 pm  #5

That's helpful!  Thanks xAC.

11/05/2022 9:19 pm  #6

xAC clearly understands such things better than an old fuddy-dud like me. (In any case, if you are like me and outside the USA and have ESPN´s international streaming, the game might be available. In the good ol´ US of A, you should be able to get it, and it would not be a bad way to spend Election Eve).

11/06/2022 8:07 am  #7

GW Alum Abroad wrote:

xAC clearly understands such things better than an old fuddy-dud like me. (In any case, if you are like me and outside the USA and have ESPN´s international streaming, the game might be available. In the good ol´ US of A, you should be able to get it, and it would not be a bad way to spend Election Eve).

If I recall correctly, you (GWAA) only have a couple of years on me

But, as a fellow codger who lives outside of the A10 region, I've had to find ways to keep up with the team, so in my abundance of spare time, I am able to learn things that I am happy to pass on. I hope you are able to catch the game.

Last edited by xAC (11/06/2022 8:07 am)

11/07/2022 1:36 pm  #8

If you don't want to pay for ACC Network Extra you can listen to the WRGW broadcast. There's two links, http://gwradio.com and https://www.iheart.com/live/wrgw-district-radio-7294/. We've made the trek down to Charlottesville for the game and it should be a good one!

Side note: Caia Loving and Sheslanie Laureano did not travel to Charlottesville. It's likely an injury for Laureano and it's unclear what the issue with Loving is

Last edited by gwstudent2024 (11/07/2022 1:39 pm)

11/07/2022 7:02 pm  #9

Welp. From being in control for the 1st half and up with just over 3 to go in the 3rd to losing 85-59. Not an auspicious start to the final season of Colonials Basketball. That was two points in the final 6:36,and a 38-10 UVa run to end the game, for those of you keeping score at home

11/07/2022 11:25 pm  #10

The fourth quarter was a total disaster,  but before that, we managed to play a pretty good game.

It looks like our transfers have really improved our offensive talent. So much so, that our offensive philosophy seems to have changed from the past few years. The tempo has increased, we are taking shots earlier in the clock, and the players seemed to have been “let loose” to create shots for themselves. I don’t mind this—it worked well for almost three quarters and I liked the aggressiveness of players (especially Essence Brown, who seems to have some new found confidence). The big down side is that our transition defense was terrible, and when our players were gassed after the third, many of our shots were forced (many bricks and air balls), leading to a slew of easy transition baskets for UVA.

With the exception of Taiwo, who didn’t have a big game, but was consistent—our players all showed some positive flashes, but also had negative moments. Lakstigala, Innis, and Thornton all showed some good offensive capabilities, but they all also took some bad shots at inopportune times. Brown was only 2-10, but she worked her way to many good clean shots that didn’t fall. Same for Robertson, who I think is going to be a good one. She was 0-6, but only took one bad shot and I think her shots will start dropping after a little more game time. She has some real hops and quickness, so I think she’ll be an impact player for us in the future. Lok and Webster also had some good (and bad) moments. Blethen didn't have an impact today.

As mentioned before Laureano and Loving are injured, and they may be out for a while. Engel and Gingras were on the bench, but their body language seem to indicate they weren’t going to play tonight (not sure why).

I hope the new offensive philosophy works, but if it’s at the expense of the kind of defense we’re used to, it’s going to be a long year.

Last edited by xAC (11/07/2022 11:27 pm)

11/08/2022 12:19 am  #11

xAC wrote:

As mentioned before Laureano and Loving are injured, and they may be out for a while. Engel and Gingras were on the bench, but their body language seem to indicate they weren’t going to play tonight (not sure why).

Engel wasn't in uniform and didn't participate in warmups. Gingras not playing was a coaches decision I believe (although I'm surprised she didn't get a run late in the game)

11/08/2022 9:16 am  #12

Really enjoyed seeing the new "free-flowing" offense yesterday. There were certainly fewer moments where we were stagnant on offense. Jayla/Mia gives us a taller/more versatile backcourt offensively compared to Kyara/Sierra. Mia in particular was a lot of fun to watch score in a variety of ways. I don't know if the newcomers are as good on defense though, but it was still the first game of the year. Rebounding wasn't as good as it usually is. The team was clearly gassed in the fourth quarter. The key moving forward is striking the balance between playing faster than last year, but still having the conditioning to play strong defense. I think moving forward we probably slow things down a bit (still mid-tempo).

I think Sheslanie has been out for a while this offseason. I hope that she can make it back before conference play begins. Not sure what the story was on Aurea and Maxine not playing. Aurea needs to shoot the ball better this year, but we could have used her defense for stretches (and give Mia a breather). Maxine would have added size which still remains an issue this year. Caia would have also helped out there.

Virginia was simply more aggressive in the second half. They kept driving to the hoop and we had no answer. When we rotated over, they were always able to make the extra pass to a wide open forward near the hoop. GW, on the other hand, was shooting perimeter shots left and right without trying to get to the line. That caught up to us in the 4th quarter as we only shot 11 FTs all game. If I remember correctly, UVA was in the bonus for much of the third quarter while we did not draw a foul on them until a couple minutes left.

I like Mayowa's effort down low (a very quiet 6 points and 7 rebounds), but our lack of size is still going to hurt this year. We got taller in the backcourt, but we need to get taller in the frontcourt now. Taylor will have to stay on the court for us this year.

Despite the bad shooting numbers, I'm still encouraged moving forward. The new offense has helped Essence's confidence shooting. Asjah Inniss was a pleasant surprise to me offensively. She's a very versatile three level-scorer. Goes to show that you can't just project based off modest numbers at previous stops. I thought Nya Lok was solid, hopefully she can give us those points more consistently this year. Faith played 11 minutes but we couldn't get her a shot? Shooting is one of her strengths.

Despite going for 0-6, REALLY encouraged about Nya Robertson moving forward. She already shows a lot of potential as a freshman. A bit nervous on her shot attempts, but understandable in game 1. Liked her wide stance on defense. She didn't force things either and generally made the right play. She has all-A10 potential down the road (maybe even making the freshman team this year).

Board footera