GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/30/2022 11:58 am  #1

GW versus Ohio University Thread

On Friday, the Ohio University Bobcats visit the Smith Center for a 6 PM (ET) tipoff. Ohio U plays in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) where they were 15-15 overall and 9-10 in conference play. Despite hovering around .500 for the season, they were able to defeat some pretty good teams, including Cincinnati, Richmond, Buffalo, and Toledo. They got an invite to the WNIT where they were eliminated in the 1st round by South Dakota State, the eventual WNIT winner.

The Bobcats, who come into town at 2-4, have won consecutive games after opening the season with four losses. They are led by guards Yaya Felder (16.7 ppg and 6.3 rpg) and Caitlyn Kroll (10.3 ppg and 6.2 rpg). As a team, Ohio University scores 66.7 points a game while allowing 72.7. They shoot 39.4% from the field (25.9% from beyond the arc) and 72.3% on FTs. In their most recent outing, the Bobcats defeated Dayton 52-51 on the road, behind a Felder double-double (20 pts and 10 rebs) and 12 pts from Kroll.

GW, at 4-4, is scoring at a 66.4 ppg clip, while surrendering the exact same amount. We are shooting 40.1% from the field (38.2 from 3-point range) and 73% from the FT line. Our opponents are out rebounding us by 1.3 rebs per game and we average 10.6 assists per game, while turning the ball over 15.5 times a game. From an offensive perspective, most numbers are a big improvement from last season. From a defensive standpoint, not so much.

In order to get and stay above .500 this season, we need the first line players (1-6) to be more consistent. Aside from Lakstigala (shooting 46%) and Brown (50%), our top players have been unable to put together consecutive good games. Shooting for Innis (30%), Thornton (33%), and Webster (32%) has been erratic, and Taiwo, although at 42%, has been struggling with her inside offense and getting into foul trouble on the defensive side. The bench, in their limited minutes, has been really good. Blethen (60%), Lok (47%), and Robertson (44%) have been plusses when they are on the court. Engel is just getting started, but she’s going to be a positive contributor as well. Gingras, although not a big offensive threat, doesn’t need to be with the offensive capability surrounding her. She still hasn’t turned the ball over this year, and as long as she plays under control she can be an asset.  With the talent we have, our issues are correctable. It’s a matter developing the right chemistry with our various combinations and learning to play specific game situations as well as against the opponents. The OOC is the time to get things right and we’re moving in that direction. In the meantime, we’re still vulnerable against some teams that we should probably beat. Ohio University is one of those teams.

Last edited by xAC (12/03/2022 12:34 pm)

12/02/2022 6:00 pm  #2

Re: GW versus Ohio University Thread

Lakstigala, Engel, Laureano and Loving are all not in uniform. I don't see Inniss here at all... Ugh

12/02/2022 6:49 pm  #3

Thornton is carrying the team at the half.by owning the 3. The D has been good. We  are forgetting about their shooters camped out on the arc.

12/02/2022 7:22 pm  #4

My understanding is that the team came back pretty sick from LV.  A flu bug I believe.

12/02/2022 8:12 pm  #5

GW runs away from Ohio University 74-57.

I’m sure the “illness” list took a lot of us by surprise, but this year’s team is about people being ready and stepping up when called. With Lakstigala, Innis, Loving, and Engel all out due to illness,Thornton (14 points) did a great imitation of Lakstigala to help stake GW to an early 23-17 lead after the 1st quarter. It could have been more, but Robertson seemed to be shaking off some rust after missing the last two games and was 0-4 (all from 3-point range). A couple of triples for Thornton brought her total to 20 points for the half, and some stout defense helped GW extend the lead to 38-28 after two quarters. The 3rd quarter started off with multiple TOs for GW in the early going, but then Robertson and couldn’t be stopped. She continued her surge into the 4th period, and her 22 second half points propelled GW to the big win.

This game was about two huge halves, one for Thornton who finished with 23 points and one for Robertson who had 24 points after a rocky 0-6 start. Taiwo was back to being all over the court with a huge double-double (10 ps and 17 rebs). Everyone else contributed to provide one of our better defensive efforts of the year, and we outrebounded the Bobcats 48-22 (Thornton also had a double-double with 11 boards). If it were not for 18 TOs, from lazy, careless passes or too much dribbling in traffic, the outcome could have been worse. Although Robertson had a few freshman moments, she was fearless and provided great energy to the team. Gingras was erratic at times, but in her first start, she did finish with 7 points and 4 assists, despite 5 TOs.

This was a great win because it gave some players some much needed minutes, and more importantly, confidence going into their next game at Texas Christian University (TCU) next week. Let’s hope the whole team is healthy for that one.

Last edited by xAC (12/02/2022 9:28 pm)

12/02/2022 8:33 pm  #6

Thornton had 11 rebounds too, something McCombs made sure to point out postgame.

"I'm really proud, Jayla had 11 rebounds tonight as well. Something that she hasn't shown so far. So just her being able to rebound defensively was important for us too."

Strong performance missing a few key players, this team is miles better offensively than it was last year and it's been fun to watch

12/02/2022 10:29 pm  #7

Friday sweep for the A10.

GW's win puts them at 5 - 4 and in 7th place ahead of 4 - 4 Fordham

St Bonaventure, now 2 - 6, beat Niagara (1 - 6) by 61 - 57, winning the 4th quarter by 7.

And UMass just stomped on Arizona State 88 - 64.  Minutewomen are 8 -1 while Sun Devils fell to 6 - 2.  

Game was televised, for free, on ASU Livestream.  You could tell it was a Cronkite School of Journalism production but was glad to be able to see it.  (I wasn't home to watch GW.). Tomorrow's game with Missouri is also on livestream.  I believe 6 pm our time.  So not much rest. for the Minutewomen.  Probably more of a test from the Tigers.

UMass jumped to a 9 - 2 lead, was tied 11 - 11 on 3 three pointers, then lead 20 -11 at the quarter and never looked back.  ASU is tall, but apparently inexperienced with a new coach.  Their other loss was to Notre Dame, after they beat American in the Bahamas.  ASU rallied for an instate road win over Grand Canyon earlier this week.  Three Pac 12 teams are still undefeated and no team has more than 2 losses.  Conference has 12 total losses.  So a nice win for the A 10.

UMass shot well, rebounded well and scored in transition.  Only issues were 8 - 18 from the line.  ASU has a Curtain of Distraction for foul shoots, but I don't think that was the problem.  And UMass struggled a bit with a press, but figured it out without much damage.  Only 12 turnovers.

Haven't seen a full box score.  Ngalakolundi had 21 points (10-13) and 7 rebounds.  Breen was 16/11 (only
8 - 18) and 5 assists.  Seemed like each had twice that in rebounds.

SORRY WRONG THREAD.

Last edited by WMC (12/02/2022 10:50 pm)

12/02/2022 11:46 pm  #8

Great win!
Nice to see much better ball movement - I believe we had 8 assists in the first quarter alone. As a result, our scoring lulls felt less frequent. The beginning of second quarters seems like the next area for improvement as we generally come out of the gates strong in quarter 1 only to lose the advantage after the first break. We really clamped down defensively in the 2nd quarter which was nice to see to offset the fact that shots weren't falling. If we can hit the 12-15 assist range every game, I like our chances.

Depth continues to be a strength. It was great to see Jayla get it going, carrying over her performance from the Vegas games. Her shots were in rhythm and we definitely needed her offense to keep us afloat with so many players out. I thought we were going to be in trouble with Essence in foul trouble.

We aren't singly reliant on one person. Great to see Nya Robertson healthy and get in a nice groove after halftime. How she hasn't won freshman of the week yet is crazy to me. Her ability to go the distance of the court so quickly is very impressive. For much of the second half she was easily the best player on the court and faster than everyone else. What's more impressive is that she's not out of control a lot of the time and knows when to give the ball up.

She complements Aurea well who is more of a pure PG and can slow things down when we need to. Gingras handled pressure well for the most part and is good from the line - which may be key late in close games.

Mayowa was personally my player of the game despite the strong scoring performances from Jayla and Nya. She was bringing the ball up (and was secure with the ball), giving the team second chance opportunities, playing good defense down low + drawing charges, and scoring efficiently when needed.

Hope Mia, Asjah, Maxine, and Caia feel better soon. I assume Sheslanie is probably out until conference play at this point, if not later. Would be great if the team could play with an almost healthy roster at some point. TCU figures to be a tough one, but they're the worst team in the Big 12 and are in the 130s range via Massey ratings. We entered the game in the 170s so it likely will still be tough, but I think we can keep it close if we can get healthy in time.

Board footera