GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/09/2023 10:44 pm  #21

Re: Hunter Dean

What a great game for Dean against UMASS.

GW among the many A10 candidates has two pretty good ones for Most Improved Player award.

Dean shot 31.5% from Free throws in 2020-21, 57.8% last year  and 80% this year

He's 76.3% from the field, remains on the A10 blocks and rebound % leaderboards, has spent most of the year one of the 5 best FG% in the nation.

Brendan Adams is the other GW  candidate.

Someone like Adams is more likely to win the award but Dean's hard work has paid off across the board.  Free Throw % improvement like that comes from one thing: HARD work.  Credit to the Coaching staff as well for helping foster his overall improvement.

Bravo To the White House Counselor

Last edited by The Dude (1/09/2023 10:47 pm)

1/15/2023 2:37 pm  #22

Stating the obvious here but GW really needs Dean to be good if the team wants to succeed. He started out horribly yesterday and it seemed to ripple through the team. He also needs to step up his defense in the post.

2/22/2023 10:28 pm  #23

How about Hunter Dean tonight !?!

2/23/2023 9:17 pm  #24

The Dude wrote:

How about Hunter Dean tonight !?!

Exactly. He is our X-factor.

2/23/2023 10:09 pm  #25

Dean had a really great game, but I thought he got a bit tired at the end. I’m sure Caputo wanted to ride the hot hand, but he could have used a break with about 5 minutes to go.

3/27/2023 3:12 pm  #26

3/27/2023 3:14 pm  #27

Not sure if I should be surprised or not. Showed some real flashes this season and was going to play a TON of minutes. 

Caputo has his work cut out for him. As I've said earlier he'll need to bring in 3-4 bigs 

3/27/2023 3:26 pm  #28

Wonder why?

3/27/2023 3:31 pm  #29

He could possibly want to be closer to home. Anyways, this is a huge loss and lets hope there isn't much movement on the assistant coaching end so we can focus on hammering down these recruits. Caputo and Co have their work cit out for them to replace the entire front court

3/27/2023 3:44 pm  #30

My first thought was hopeful and optimistic-maybe he knows he’s being recruited over?-because if that’s not 
It the only other possibility that makes sense is that he wants to be closer to home.If neither of these are
true then I fear that the team has some kind of dysfunction we are not aware of.He was going to be a major 
player next year -literally and figuratively.-As an as aside I’m getting tired of the formulaic notice when athletes go in the portal.—-“that being said” -after the athlete praises his soon to be former team and school.
That being said-good luck Hunter. 

Last edited by GW69 (3/27/2023 3:45 pm)

3/27/2023 3:46 pm  #31

It's a blow, but also an opportunity.  The frontcourt is now as wide open as it gets.  Would love to bring in a combination of incoming freshmen and experienced tansfers.  Let's also not forget about Luke Cronin being on this team.  I believe he is a preferred walkon but am hopeful that he will become a pleasant surprise.  His brother is a preferred walkon at UMASS and I hear he is a great young man from a solid family (from Great Neck, NY).

As for Hunter, I of course wish him well.  I recall Jamion talking about his unique athleticism which I did not at all see initially but man was he correct about that.  Hunter was fun to watch and certainly qualified as a more than serviceable A10 center.  

3/27/2023 3:53 pm  #32

Unfortunately, I the "bleeding" continues and I'm hearing it's not over.

Thankfully for CC, Adam Kilgore and Maltzman aren't relevant anymore because there would be consequences to all these transfers - LOL!

CC will have a clean slate to work with and will be in the 2nd year of his contract at GW - let's hope the "builder of the Miami dynasty" can spin his magic here at Foggy (Blue) Bottom or will he add to the decade of misery.

It will be a fun off-season for the 12 posters on this site.

3/27/2023 4:02 pm  #33

I assume you're referring to James Bishop and Max Edwards as there is no one else. 

3/27/2023 4:08 pm  #34

This rent-a-player for a year or two really stinks! It's like a game of musical chairs and schools like GW are certainly not going to come out on top.

3/27/2023 4:22 pm  #35

Was really counting on him for next year.  CC really has his hands full filling out this roster.

Good luck Hunter (you can always come back) and good luck Coach!

3/27/2023 4:58 pm  #36

Nice and gracious words from Hunter,always appreciated.
But whatever he has planned after playing college ball, this is a big mistake for Hunter. He had a chance to
really shine, as he did at the end of the year, at GW and in the A-10.
   It didn't work out at his first college and he left after a semester, wasn't it, with little playing time and impact. We featured him and gave Hunter a chance to grow, that frankly at times, may have been to the detriment of developing Noel Brown.
     Don't see what Hunter has to gain by going lower. At the A-10 level, GW offers a tremendous amount of playing time. We have no scholarship recruits at anywhere near his position announced, so he's not been recruited over. And we have wide open playing time that would seem to be practically guaranteed as a proven incumbent.
   Who knows what's in the heads of these kids/young men?
But ask former teammate Bamisile, who had a bigger rep, how the portal worked out for him. So poory that Bam is back in it again.
  If Hunter is fortunate, as a smart young man, he'll look at the portal and decide that if Coach Caputo is
gracious enough to have him back, he has a good thing going at GW.
  Otherwise, truly wish him well. He may need all the well wishes he can get in a frustrating situation somewhere else next year.

3/27/2023 5:10 pm  #37

Gwmayhem wrote:

It's a blow, but also an opportunity.  The frontcourt is now as wide open as it gets.  Would love to bring in a combination of incoming freshmen and experienced tansfers.  Let's also not forget about Luke Cronin being on this team.  I believe he is a preferred walkon but am hopeful that he will become a pleasant surprise.  His brother is a preferred walkon at UMASS and I hear he is a great young man from a solid family (from Great Neck, NY).

As for Hunter, I of course wish him well.  I recall Jamion talking about his unique athleticism which I did not at all see initially but man was he correct about that.  Hunter was fun to watch and certainly qualified as a more than serviceable A10 center.  

I agree that Hunter was "more than a serviceable A10 Center who was fun to watch.    He was a decent rebounder who could block the occasional shot, but he was hardly an all conference candidate.  He was a very limited player who was as much as a liability as an asset.  On defense, he was too slow to guard anyone athletic, was hardly a rim protector and was a foul machine.  His offensive game  was the dunk and layup.  I think he would have made an excellent backup on a good team, but what I am really hoping is that maybe this is CC raising the bar on the quality of player that comes to GW.  Of course I would feel a whole lot better once those players are at GW in a higher number.  Furthermore, just because Hunter entered the portal doesn't necessarily mean that he is gone but assuming that he is, this hardly a major loss.     

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (3/27/2023 5:20 pm)

3/27/2023 5:12 pm  #38

Moneybox, I'm thinking Max. He's young and can add some things to a Power5 team. His benefit would be better exposure and the chance to compete for a championship. 

As for Bishop, CC probably hopes he leaves so he can get his players the time and minutes they need - kind of like ML had to do in his 2nd season at GW with the Freshman 5. A few hear bitched and moaned when he said "good riddance" to Lasan Kromah. Turned out to be a great move.

I love it when a few of our posters opine about what a mistake it is for a player to "transfer" from GW. They never say a word when they "transfer" into GW. Ask yourself who has their best interest in mind? 

3/27/2023 5:22 pm  #39

GW69 wrote:

.If neither of these are
true then I fear that the team has some kind of dysfunction we are not aware of.  

Tell me you don’t understand modern college basketball without telling me you don’t understand modern college basketball.

Almost every player transfers. Doesn’t mean it indicates dysfunction.  Could be an NiL thing, could be anything.

3/27/2023 7:06 pm  #40

Again this smacks of free agency and money will move the best players to the majors from the mid-majors.

Board footera