GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2023 11:08 am  #61

Re: Caputo Staff News

Going to be very tough to retain talented assistants at GW until the school steps up and pays them better.

3/16/2023 11:10 am  #62

But but. We were assured by another poster that Autry's hiring at Syracuse would have no impact on GW's recruiting. (Post now mysteriously deleted.)

Last edited by Mentzinger (3/16/2023 11:12 am)

3/16/2023 11:17 am  #63

Mentzinger wrote:

But but. We were assured by another poster that Autry's hiring at Syracuse would have no impact on GW's recruiting. (Post now mysteriously deleted.)

Come on man.  I said Autry is still coming here. Not that it would have no impact on GW’s recruiting.

3/16/2023 12:21 pm  #64

It's not a good sign, admittedly for both Trey and our recruiting efforts (though doubt we are pursuing the same players). But we'll see.

3/16/2023 12:33 pm  #65

Free Quebec wrote:

Mentzinger wrote:

Come on man. I said Autry is still coming here. Not that it would have no impact on GW’s recruiting.

What's odd is my post -- "Boeheim retires. GW impact?" -- is nowhere to be found.

3/16/2023 12:46 pm  #66

Hired at GW just  11 months ago.  Made a lateral move to come here.

Lot of moving around for a guy whose job is to convince young men to commit and buy in to a program.

prefer guys who demonstrate loyalty, help build and grow something and then land a head coaching job, like CC did.  

3/16/2023 1:00 pm  #67

Not at all suggesting this is a GW player.  

Samurai Sources tell The Dojo… Straughn will be accompanied by a high profile transfer #TTO=inherit #StayTuned

Last edited by Florida Colonial (3/16/2023 1:00 pm)

3/16/2023 1:59 pm  #68

3/16/2023 6:49 pm  #69

If it has no connection to us,Reynolds from St Joe's appears to be Team Takeover.

3/16/2023 7:37 pm  #70

jf wrote:

If it has no connection to us,Reynolds from St Joe's appears to be Team Takeover.

Let’s hope this is the case.

Based on the team responding to the coaching staff, and especially his DC connections, I really believe losing Coach is a big loss.

3/17/2023 4:47 am  #71

We need a new assistant coach? Would someone please just call Mike Hall and get him on staff? I guarantee he'll be a great recruiter and develop into a solid coach. 

3/17/2023 6:49 am  #72

GWRising wrote:

Going to be very tough to retain talented assistants at GW until the school steps up and pays them better.

While undoubtedly true vis a vis other A10 or mid major programs, is it really realistic that GW could pay enough to keep an AC from going to the ACC?

Just spitballing, but it wouldn't surprise me if Brenden is making at least double (possibly triple?) what he made here in addition to coaching/recruiting at the P5 level.  As much of a bad break it is to lose an up and coming coach like Straughn, it would be a coup to retain anyone given this opportunity.

Last edited by GW0509 (3/17/2023 6:55 am)

3/17/2023 8:51 am  #73

The Dude wrote:

Hired at GW just  11 months ago.  Made a lateral move to come here.

Lot of moving around for a guy whose job is to convince young men to commit and buy in to a program.

prefer guys who demonstrate loyalty, help build and grow something and then land a head coaching job, like CC did.  

You stole my thunder, GW0509, with respect to a response to the above post.

By all means, let's frown upon career advancement for an individual who stands to at least double his salary while coaching in the ACC rather than the A10.  An Assistant Coach, no less.

Not sure if it's official but should this happen, I offer nothing but heartfelt congratulations to Coach Straughn.  So should all of us.

3/17/2023 10:29 am  #74

GW0509 wrote:

GWRising wrote:

While undoubtedly true vis a vis other A10 or mid major programs, is it really realistic that GW could pay enough to keep an AC from going to the ACC?

Just spitballing, but it wouldn't surprise me if Brenden is making at least double (possibly triple?) what he made here in addition to coaching/recruiting at the P5 level.  As much of a bad break it is to lose an up and coming coach like Straughn, it would be a coup to retain anyone given this opportunity.

Yes and no. As I understand it, our assistant salaries are near the bottom of the A-10 even in (other than Fordham) the highest cost of living area. Not sure Brenden is making double but could be. My point was more towards if we want guys to develop here and have staff continuity at least until we win, we probably better pay better. Guys have to eat and often have families. If there is huge financial pressure, they are going to be looking.  

Now that may or may not apply to Brenden. Clearly Syracuse is a great opportunity and no question he will get paid a significant amount more. But will he develop as much as a future head coach there or be designated as a recruiter as the third assistant? That one is not as clear. And when the finances are so different it makes it a lot harder to even consider staying. We've had other assistants turn down P5 offers before but that was back 10-15 years ago when GW was not as far behind as it is now. One of them is currently a pretty successful B10 head coach.

I am not for a minute saying Brenden should pass this opportunity up. I am just saying we need to make it more difficult for assistants to leave generally. They still may leave and it still may be the best move but we ought to at least try to put a speed bump in place. Next time it may not be Syracuse but a more lateral move.

3/18/2023 8:13 am  #75

There are others here who are more qualified than me to spout off about maintaining and building a successful program.

OK, we obviously have a qualified, good HC AND STAFF who made a big difference on the court, and also off the court re-developing student enthusiasm. 

With that being said, the next step to keep the  momentum moving is to ensure continuity. This means maintaining and improving the staff, facilities, and all other aspects of the program.

How about the AD staff making motions to the Powers That Be indicating we need to upgrade and pay assistant coaches so GW is at least competitive within the A-10 and other comparable conferences. This will help ensure they think twice about leaving for greener pastures. 

Best of luck to Coach at Cuse, and thanks for helping turn around our program.

3/19/2023 9:46 am  #76

Could we lose another assistant?  Not great timing for us 

Trilly Donovan@trillydonovan·49m
Updates in New York: 
Army: Zak Boisvert is gaining a lot of traction. Carl Little and Kevin Kuwik also in the mix.

3/19/2023 11:20 am  #77

I feel like this means two things:

1. CC knows how to pick really good ACs

2. Lots of turnover in the coaching staff is the last thing GW needs after finally finding a competent HC

Silver lining is next year will be an almost entirely new team outside of Max so if there’s a new staff it won’t be as big of a shock. Only worry is it scares off our prized freshman recruits.

3/19/2023 11:56 am  #78

Rising has made the point that retaining assistants is really tough at GW, so the program needs to get really good at replacing them. Karl Hobbs built an insanely good staff with Kevin Broadus, Darrell Brooks and Steve Pikiell, all of whom went on to become head coaches at varying levels. Their replacements were perfectly fine, but not at that level.

Chris Caputo seems to be about as keyed in to college basketball as anyone, so knowing who to call to replace assistants certainly won't be a problem. Convincing them to come is going to be hugely important.

3/19/2023 3:06 pm  #79

Two things to chew on.
1) At the beginning of the season it was mentioned that CC hadn’t worked with any of his assistants before, but was familiar with each of them for their skill set. That is huge to me considering it looked like he had a pretty cohesive staff all year round and it might also mean he can put together another staff with top tier talent going forward.
2) What worries me, is two of the ACs leaving are both big recruiters for us. If each leaves, what does that do for our transfer market? Would they possibly follow the assistants?

3/21/2023 9:38 am  #80

When Assistant Coaches move on to get promoted, that's generrally a sign that something is very right with the program they are leaving.  While not meaning to undermine the value of the relationships that recruiters strike with some players, it's important to note that most players make a decision to play for a head coach.  Also working in our favor is that CC isn't Calipari-like where he's completely out of the recruiting picture until it's time to close the deal.  I know that CC attends many high school and presumably AAU games, and has a more direct, hands-on approach to selling GW on recruits than a head coach who's been at this fror decades and would rather delegate.

This is another way of saying that if or when we lose Brendan and Zak, CC will fill those slots with other very capable coaches (I suspect that Cooper Handelsman would be next in line without even having to go out-of-house.  Lamont Franklin is also a possibility though I am unsure if he would want his role changed.).  That said, Rising's words should not be ignored.  If retaining assistant coaches becomes a systemic problem, then this needs to be rectified if we ever hope to have a consistently successful program.   

Board footera