GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2023 8:26 am  #241

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal Szn

Free Quebec wrote:

Ben Middlebrooks to NC St. Hopefully he’s not the ACC post Rising thought we were close to landing.

Oddly, Middlebrooks committed today, but also Jack Clark announced today he’s going from NC St to Clemson. So it’s kind of like the first trade in NCAA history.

Unfortunately yes. Think this was a disappointing turn of events but on to the next.

4/20/2023 11:10 am  #242

GWRising wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

Ben Middlebrooks to NC St. Hopefully he’s not the ACC post Rising thought we were close to landing.

Oddly, Middlebrooks committed today, but also Jack Clark announced today he’s going from NC St to Clemson. So it’s kind of like the first trade in NCAA history.

Unfortunately yes. Think this was a disappointing turn of events but on to the next.

Well that sucks.   Still need a center.  I’m sure there’s a plan B they are working on.

4/20/2023 11:15 am  #243

Free Quebec wrote:

Well that sucks. Still need a center. I’m sure there’s a plan B they are working on.

Raise High Nation[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/raisehighnation]@raisehighnation·1h 
Central Michigan transfer Nicolas Pavrette visited @GW_MBB yesterday. The 6'11" Lyon, France native averaged 4.6 points/4.5 rebounds/1 block in just under 17 minutes a game and shot nearly 60% from the field. Several other A10 schools have shown interest as well. #RaiseHigh

Ismael Massoud (Max's friend from KSU) is probably a long shot after his official to Fordham, but we are also in on Myles Foster as Florida Colonial posted yesterday. Also the kid from the UK looks very athletic but ultimately, he'd be a freshman with freshman growing pains.

In any event, it looks like the staff is definitely ramping up the pursuit of an experienced big.

Last edited by GW0509 (4/20/2023 11:16 am)

4/20/2023 12:00 pm  #244

Darren Buchanan Jr. set to announce soon.  Hopefully the second time's the charm for GW?

@dbuchananjr2·3h 
Commitment coming soon, very soon! 👀🙏

4/20/2023 2:37 pm  #245

GW0509 wrote:

Darren Buchanan Jr. set to announce soon.  Hopefully the second time's the charm for GW?

@dbuchananjr2·3h 

Any insight you can share, Rising?

4/20/2023 3:33 pm  #246

Any word if George Mason was recruiting him? Was a little worried when he retweeted that his VA Tech teammate had just transferred there earlier in the day.

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

@dbuchananjr2·3h 

4/20/2023 5:44 pm  #247

The other school I would be worried about is Butler. They are the only other school as far as I have seen that's demonstrated as much interest as us

Last edited by gwstudent2024 (4/21/2023 2:04 pm)

4/21/2023 12:27 pm  #248

Former Creighton point guard Ryan Nembhard, ESPN's No. 2 player in the NCAA transfer portal, has committed to play at Gonzaga next season.

Nembhard is considered one of the top point guards returning to college basketball and will immediately be a contender for WCC player of the year honors

4/21/2023 4:21 pm  #249

Our old friend Brayon Freeman joining Nina Omidivar at Coastal Carolina.

4/21/2023 11:38 pm  #250

I don’t know who this guy is or if he has any actually knowledge or is just making stuff up, but he seems to think we are very much in the hunt for Ismael Massoud.  Major caveat: most of what you read on Twitter is wrong and I’ve never heard of this guy before he showed up in my feed.

https://twitter.com/trillydonovan/status/1649618560489259011?s=46&t=m2xsjs4EY33TDlbMVwhKzQ

4/22/2023 12:21 pm  #251

GW0509 wrote:

Raise High Nation[/url] [url=https://twitter.com/raisehighnation]@raisehighnation·1h 
Central Michigan transfer Nicolas Pavrette visited @GW_MBB yesterday. The 6'11" Lyon, France native averaged 4.6 points/4.5 rebounds/1 block in just under 17 minutes a game and shot nearly 60% from the field. Several other A10 schools have shown interest as well. #RaiseHigh

Nicolas Pavrette to George Mason https://twitter.com/pavrettenicolas/status/1649819378274402304

4/22/2023 1:18 pm  #252

Free Quebec wrote:

I don’t know who this guy is or if he has any actually knowledge or is just making stuff up, but he seems to think we are very much in the hunt for Ismael Massoud. Major caveat: most of what you read on Twitter is wrong and I’ve never heard of this guy before he showed up in my feed.

https://twitter.com/trillydonovan/status/1649618560489259011?s=46&t=m2xsjs4EY33TDlbMVwhKzQ

Looking through his twitter page, he's not as credentialed as the usual suspects (Rothstein, TiptonEdits,247sports VerbalCommits, etc.) but he appears to be more credible than a random person making up stuff.Has Massuod visited GW? I assume Max Edwards campaigning for him to sign with GW is enough for the staff to want him.

4/22/2023 1:20 pm  #253

Buff&BlueBandit wrote:

Any word if George Mason was recruiting him? Was a little worried when he retweeted that his VA Tech teammate had just transferred there earlier in the day.

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

@dbuchananjr2·3h 

George Mason has signed 4 or 5 transfers within the last week, so I'm not sure that Buchanan is still on their radar

4/22/2023 1:58 pm  #254

Thomas wrote:

Free Quebec wrote:

I don’t know who this guy is or if he has any actually knowledge or is just making stuff up, but he seems to think we are very much in the hunt for Ismael Massoud. Major caveat: most of what you read on Twitter is wrong and I’ve never heard of this guy before he showed up in my feed.

Looking through his twitter page, he's not as credentialed as the usual suspects (Rothstein, TiptonEdits,247sports VerbalCommits, etc.) but he appears to be more credible than a random person making up stuff.Has Massuod visited GW? I assume Max Edwards campaigning for him to sign with GW is enough for the staff to want him.

I know that Lamont, Dwayne Lee, and Colpoys follow him on Twitter. Might not seem like something to look into, but notable anyways. Think that this interest is legit IMO

4/23/2023 8:23 am  #255

Given the number of open spots on the roster, there is definitely a role for Massoud on the team - he would certainly improve distance shooting although he weirdly had two good years shooting the ball from 3 (high 30s to low 40s) and two years just okay (in the 33-34% range) between his years at Kansas State and Wake Forest. He doesn't do much by ways of rebounding, passing, and defense but perhaps an increased role will lead to better numbers in those categories? From the times I've watched him though he tends to camp out along the perimeter even though he is 6'9".

With Ricky and Hunter out of the fold, rebounding is a definite need although last year seemed to indicate CC's guards are more willing to rebound from what we saw out of Max.

One guy I don't think has been mentioned here is Steve Settle from Howard. He tweeted yesterday that his recruitment is still open and I think three years of D1 experience can translate up to the A10. Settle had a 15-5-5 stat line against us last year, scored 13 against Kansas in the NCAA tournament, and also did well against other A10 teams (10 against La Salle, 18 against VCU). He's a little skinny and doesn't have a consistent three point shot yet, but he's local and has averaged double figures all three years of college (to go with 6 boards last season). Howard wasn't outright terrible either as they finished right below GW in KenPom.

4/23/2023 10:28 am  #256

Free Quebec wrote:

he's known in the college basketball twitter world and doesn't just make stuff up

4/23/2023 10:42 am  #257

Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein
·
8m
Kansas State transfer Ismael Massoud tells me that he will visit GW this week.

Dushawn London

@DushawnLondon1
·
12m
Kansas State transfer Ismael Massoud will visit George Washington April 24th-26th source tells 
@247SportsPortal

Last edited by Florida Colonial (4/23/2023 10:43 am)

4/24/2023 8:27 am  #258

Massoud and Buchanan strike me as our two most promising portal possibilities based on connection.  Ismael obviously has Max as an influencer while Darren played high school ball at Wilson and came very close to coming straight out of high school.  Neither player can be regarded as a conventional center but each brings size to a team in desperate need of it.  Add these two and bring in a rim protector (true center) and I'd conclude that the 2023-24 GW _____________'s could be a real contender in the A10.

4/24/2023 8:59 am  #259

Based on his twitter, Buchanan should be announcing very soon.  A double announcement this week would be great, knowing Maximus will be giving Massoud the full court press, pun intended. 

Last edited by Mike K (4/24/2023 9:01 am)

4/24/2023 10:30 am  #260

If we could actually land Buchanan and Zamoku Weluchr-Ume, to go along with Schroder and Johnson, we’d have incredible size on the wings with 4 guys 6’7” or 6’”8 who play wing. And massoud would give great spacing for Bishop, Max, and the wings.

Probably too much to ask to land them all, though.

Board footera