GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/18/2024 5:53 pm  #221

Re: 2024 Transfer Portal Szn

Trey’s third school. Hopefully the third time is a charm.

Welcome Trey!

https://x.com/tp4pt/status/1759047616703111412?s=46&t=Jti5quybzYHWWRcUrZgapw

4/18/2024 5:54 pm  #222

Good find.
We're on a roll.
Trey has MIKE KING's No. 5 in the tweet. A lot to live up to.
Room for some more, especially with good size/PF or springy Forward types.

4/18/2024 6:23 pm  #223

Mike K wrote:

Trey’s third school. Hopefully the third time is a charm.

His coach got fired the year he transferred the previous two times (although he was probably going to leave USF anyways). Hopefully history doesn't repeat itself while he's here.

4/18/2024 7:11 pm  #224

Saw Trey is from Windmere FL. Didn’t see if Miami recruited him or if CC knows him.

4/18/2024 7:18 pm  #225

Not one of our portalers, but reports are that DMV’er Jeremy Roach is getting $1.5 million to transfer to Baylor.

Making more than the minimum NBA salary. At what point does the NBA start treating college ball a threat to the G League?

4/18/2024 7:35 pm  #226

4/18/2024 7:40 pm  #227

Thanks.
Another great article

4/18/2024 7:48 pm  #228

Well, he started to come home but ended up getting on the Green Line and got off in College Park

Gapare to Maryland: https://x.com/jeff_ermann/status/1781113197237346705

Last edited by GW0509 (4/18/2024 8:18 pm)

4/18/2024 9:53 pm  #229

Maybe Gapare will finally get it together.
But even so,they can have him.

Last edited by jf (4/18/2024 9:56 pm)

4/18/2024 10:55 pm  #230

GW0509 wrote:

Not one of our portalers, but reports are that DMV’er Jeremy Roach is getting $1.5 million to transfer to Baylor.

Making more than the minimum NBA salary. At what point does the NBA start treating college ball a threat to the G League?

Seriously!  That’s just silly money.

4/18/2024 11:20 pm  #231

GW0509 wrote:

G League Ignite shut down after this year actually 

4/19/2024 8:49 am  #232

Alum1 wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

Seriously! That’s just silly money.

Don't think that is close to true. Jeremy himself said on X ...

https://twitter.com/Jeremyroach10/status/1781175803000086534

4/20/2024 5:10 pm  #233

Two big things in the portal today that I’ve seen that are semi-relevant to us:

1) Robbie Avila follows his coach to SLU. He’s going to he fun to watch in the A10, but not fun to play against.

2) Jayden Epps not only enters the portal, but flames Georgetown and Ed Cooley on the way out, saying he wants to play for a contender and has lost confidence in Cooley’s project

4/20/2024 7:50 pm  #234

That guy on twitter is trolling. Epps is not in the portal and didn't say that about Cooley, unfortunately. 

4/21/2024 3:46 pm  #235

GWFinalFour wrote:

That guy on twitter is trolling. Epps is not in the portal and didn't say that about Cooley, unfortunately. 

I should know better than to believe BS on Twitter.  Sorry.

4/22/2024 7:35 am  #236

gwstudent2024 wrote:

It's 13 scholarships for men's basketball, right?

It is 13, although I genuinely cannot remember the last time GW used all 13 scholarships (not counting handing a walk-on one mid-year). Definitely seems like it's been a while. I don't know if that approach changes moving forward. It feels like there have been fewer mid-year transfers to make it worth holding onto the last one though imo. I get that most coaches only go 8-9 deep in a rotation but maybe inconsistent player availability last year makes me think that it's good to have as much depth as possible.

Buff&BlueBandit wrote:

What positions do you think CC will look for to fill out this team? My guess would be another pure ball handler PG (to back-up Jacoi) and defense first wing. Thoughts?

Since it's a guarantee at least one more scholarship will be filled, I definitely think a wing makes sense. Garrett showed great promise last year, but his availability moving forward with the hip issue is a bit concerning. At the very least, it definitely seems wise to have someone splitting time at the 3. Christian Watson is still available and he would be a good fit as a defense-first guy. I think he recently visited Tulane.

CC needed to address the frontcourt situation first after what happened last year. Castro/Hansen definitely seems like an upgrade from last year, and hopefully their presence will lead to a more balanced team. I'm a bit surprised CC hasn't signed a couple tall walk-ons like JC did - that feels like an easy way to build emergency depth up front.

Having said that, guard play is a difference maker when trying to be a top team in any conference. Outside of Moss, the backcourt is still pretty young and I don't know who the "go-to" guy is going to be there (Jun of course will be an option in general, but he's not a guard). Trey Moss has to become a lot more efficient I think to become that guy (going from W&M to GW should hopefully help some by default).

Based on that uncertainty, it would make sense to add another experienced option at guard should CC use both scholarships. Jacoi/Trey should take strides forward, and Christian/Ty are wildcards. Against all odds, the three freshman guards are all returning next year (as of now). I thought there was a 0% chance of that happening based on playing time competition but am pleasantly surprised that all are coming back. It remains unclear though whether any of them can take on that alpha scoring role from the guard position in the post-JB era.

4/23/2024 12:55 pm  #237

Free Quebec wrote:

Two big things in the portal today that I’ve seen that are semi-relevant to us:

1) Robbie Avila follows his coach to SLU. He’s going to he fun to watch in the A10, but not fun to play against.

Robbie Avila aka "Cream Abdul-Jabbar" aka "Larry Nerd" developed a cult-like following last season due to his look and how productive he was. Having a high-profile player like that in the A10 is great news, especially if St.Louis is real good. 

4/23/2024 1:11 pm  #238

dmvpiranha wrote:

Christian Watson is still available and he would be a good fit as a defense-first guy. I think he recently visited Tulane.

I've also been keeping my eye on Christian Watson.  Here is a recent update:

@jeffborzello 
Miami transfer Christian Watson is visiting Southern Miss tomorrow, per his NIL agent Noah Reisenfeld of Young Money APAA Sports. Tulane, Washington State and Duquesne also on Watson's list.

4/23/2024 1:28 pm  #239

GW0509 wrote:

@jeffborzello 
Miami transfer Christian Watson is visiting Southern Miss tomorrow, per his NIL agent Noah Reisenfeld of Young Money APAA Sports. Tulane, Washington State and Duquesne also on Watson's list.

"NIL agent"???

4/23/2024 1:42 pm  #240

BM wrote:

GW0509 wrote:

@jeffborzello 

"NIL agent"???

Yep.  A lot of these "agents" are just recent Sports Marketing graduates who are play-pretending as Drew Rosenhaus and charging the athletes upwards of 20% for their "services."  The agency listed here is actually an offshoot of a rap music label to give you a sense of how sophisticated the operation is.

It's a total scam, much like most of NIL.

Board footera