GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/03/2020 5:52 pm  #1

Chase Paar Thoughts

Thoughts on Chase Paar?

I've been really impressed with his play so far.  

2/03/2020 7:11 pm  #2

Re: Chase Paar Thoughts

To be honest I've been pretty happy with everybody's growth this year.

2/03/2020 8:05 pm  #3

He's ahead of the curve as far as recent big recruits are concerned. Strong fundamentals to go along with his athleticism, and surprising strength for his build, although he needs to develop some strength in his hands. He doesn't look lost on the court, looking a lot more savvy than some of our past recruits who played as freshman. He has a terrific upside, so look forward to his further developments. It's a shame he had to miss so many games earlier in the year.

2/03/2020 8:14 pm  #4

Been impressed with him, and a year or 2 or 3 with the strength coach will do wonders.   Looking forward to the development of all the new players.

2/03/2020 9:40 pm  #5

Like his passing out of the post, his weak side  defensive help, his rebounding and his playing within himself.offensively.   Don’t like his limited range (so far), his lack of speed, his lack of physical strength and his stone hands. At his best, he could be a  poor mans Kevin Larsen.  At his worst he could be a future transfer to American.  Jury still out.

Last edited by Long Suffering Fan (2/03/2020 10:11 pm)

2/03/2020 10:28 pm  #6

Fun fact: in conference play, Chase leads the entire A10 in field goal percentage, converting on 67.5% of his field goal attempts. Sure, almost all the makes are right near the rim on set plays, but I still find that impressive, especially as a freshman. Chase has shown the ability to finish at a good rate underneath, probably better than AT and especially Javier have shown at times (in the case of AT, it might still be a bit to do with the hip injury suffered earlier). While JNJ and Jamison have received all the attention (don't get me wrong, they definitely deserve it), Chase has quietly been as solid of late. It's even more impressive that he's been able to do this after missing half the season with an injury - I honestly thought this would have been a lost season for him based on that, but he has truly thrived as a roll man. JC's system has put him in a great position to succeed. Transferring to AU definitely is harsh even as a worst possible scenario, but it could be more possible if he was playing in another system. Being a good fit in the right system can trump level of league a guy plays in. Still don't quite know how we landed Chase as we hadn't even offered him when he cut his final school list to 5 (George Mason, Nebraska, Temple, UMBC, Xavier), but credit goes to Mojo for stealing him away.

I think Chase has a high floor (the highest of the freshmen) and also a high ceiling which is a great combination to have. He hasn't let it fly from distance yet, but after watching him at Kenner he definitely has a good stroke. If he can extend his range, that will definitely allow our team's offense to reach another level. JC clearly loves guys launching threes, and imagine how deadly we could be if our 5 man can also shoot it at a good clip from there. It will open up a lot of lanes and allow guys to operate underneath. Then after that, the staff can work with him to put the ball on the floor. There is a lot of upside to be found. As it stands, at worst he is a rotation guy coming off the bench. Maybe I'm wearing rose-colored glasses as the schedule is about to get much tougher, but Chase notching multiple double doubles in conference play has been fascinating to watch, especially when you remember how he looked just games earlier. In the Boston U game, he took the ball to the hoop but didn't go up strong enough with it and didn't do much else in limited time. He fouled out in 11 minutes against St. Louis (partly because of matchup). Now, he's able to play 30 minutes without fouling out, and of course that field goal percentage as mentioned shows he's finishing much better. Looking forward to seeing him continue to develop. While I'm hoping Noel can become the next Osunniyi/Hughes/French for us (probably have expectations too high) long term, I like that we have Chase as an option to turn to for the next three years after this season. Putting on strength is something I'm sure he's going to focus on in the offseason.

2/03/2020 10:30 pm  #7

Don't think he's Kevin yet, but has real potential to make a difference, especially as he
gets stronger. And he was said to be able to shoot from outside, though we haven't seen it.
Chase has at times demonstrated some real impressive footwork.
But we will see, as LSF observes . He has the advantage of real size but also a ways to go. Chase's future will depend on how hard he works to improve the flashes we've seen so far.

2/03/2020 11:30 pm  #8

I've been very impressed with his play especially considering he missed the first 8 games due to injury. He hasn't looked like a freshman big, who many times are prone to turn the ball over, play defense with their arms instead of moving their feet, travel when trying to post up, etc.  He's also looked good on the screen and roll and has shown the ability to get the ball on glass quickly when finishing near the rim. As previously stated, he showed a very nice stroke from the outside at Kenner so I could see him developing into a stretch five. Some more time in the gym will strengthen his hands which should cut down on his turnovers, and his freethrow percentage needs to improve, but overall he's having a nice season.

2/04/2020 6:49 am  #9

He plays hungry.  He plays smart.  He plays hard.  

2/04/2020 8:18 am  #10

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

At his worst he could be a future transfer to American. Jury still out.

Considering our last two transfers to AU (Cimino and Maragkos), I think we've seen enough already out of Chase to say he has way more talent than either of those two. 

Where I think he still needs improvement is in softening his hands (way too many passees just seem to clunk off of him) and in generally bulking up to be able to battle for positioning better.  Right now I am very high on Chase as someone who can become a TJ Cline-like player for us by his senior season.  He seems like the type of kid who will work as hard as possible to get there too.

Last edited by GW0509 (2/04/2020 8:19 am)

2/04/2020 9:38 am  #11

The best thing to point out right now is his ability to execute plays and finish them, be it a pick and roll or a high arching lob pass .  The shooting percentage says it all and given the vast number of misses in the paint we have seen from other bigs these past few years, these close-range shots are not to be taken for granted.  Second best thing is his defensive rebounding.  Good size plus good feet plus good instincts = good rebounder.  It will be exciting to see how his game evolves as he gains strength and experience.  Will his hands improve?  Will his remain as vulnerable to athletic moves while he's playing defense?  Will he develop a true low post, back-to-the-basket game (and will the coaches even want this)?  And of course, will we see the quick release on his three point shots that he exhibited at Kenner?

2/04/2020 10:55 pm  #12

OK...I will amend.  At best, he can be a poor man's Mike Zagardo.  At worst, he could be a future transfer to Delaware.

In all serous, I am pleasantly surprised with what he has shown so far, but it has only been a handful of games, against mostly limited competition.   But he does seem like a high IQ player who will help.

2/05/2020 7:18 am  #13

He's got heart and determination.  That can't be taught.

Board footera