GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/31/2019 10:34 am  #21

Re: Non -conf update

It seems the floodgates have opened and almost everyone is announcing who they’ve got. We might know the last 3 opponents by the end of this week!

8/03/2019 9:57 pm  #22

To be quite honest I don't mind what I am seeing with the schedule so far. We as a program are not in a place where we have any reason to worry about how SOS will affect our postseason hopes and if somehow we're having the conversation that our SOS numbers cost a chance at the NIT then JC wildly surpassed expectations for year one.

Right now, the sole mission of this staff is to build confidence and that can be a difficult thing to do when inheriting a roster of mostly guys you didn't recruit. Quite frankly going into ML's first season (2011-2012), there was enough talent where we were expecting much better than a 10-21 season. However, they started 4-5 with 4 of those losses being to tournament teams. Perhaps the disappointing start against too tough of a schedule caused some of the initial friction between ML and the holdovers. If they started 7-2 against a more manageable schedule, perhaps guys are happier and more receptive of his coaching. Perhaps it wouldn't have made a difference. 

Maybe the last couple games on the schedule will be against Power 5 schools that lay a butt whooping on us. I'm quite fine with giving ourselves a couple extra chances at wins, though, to build confidence heading into year 1 of A 10 play under JC.

8/04/2019 11:28 am  #23

You do have to figure that the schedule was made primarily before they hired JC.  @ Valpo and @ Vermont tough match ups.  Harvard could also be a loss at home.  Maybe ECU/Evansville as well.  Do like playing AU again.  It won't be an easy season for GW next year.

8/07/2019 4:04 pm  #24

Delaware has announced we are hosting them 07DEC..... We might be shifting the Valpo game.

8/07/2019 5:09 pm  #25

I’m with you 13. It’s liberating not to care about the schedule. Inot to sound like a talking participation trophy the most I can reasonably hope for is improvement and real defense. Very interested if the new staff gives an indication that has the goods. Most interested in point guard play in particular Jameer, does he show signs of being the real deal.

8/07/2019 10:05 pm  #26

Looks like we aren't playing Valpo this year. Bummer because that was one of the most exciting games last year and I was hoping we would get revenge this year. Don't mind the Delaware game (Collin Goss is coming home!) Didn't realize we had the money to buy games out like that. Wonder how much we had to pay Valpo. 

Paul Oren @NWIOren·7h 
Valparaiso confirms that both Vanderbilt and George Washington have bought out of non-conference games at the ARC. #MVCHoops

Last edited by dmvpiranha (8/08/2019 9:54 am)

8/08/2019 8:09 am  #27

Man!!! That really is a bummer. Valpo is a solid mid-major and we have some history with them (2016 NIT final comes to mind).

8/08/2019 9:02 am  #28

Valparaiso must be projected to be very good if they have 2 teams from higher rated conferences backing out of the return game at Valpo. I didn't know that teams had the option of just buying their way out of games like this. Have any of you seen something like this before with GW or any other team? A few years ago, Georgetown/ Patrick Ewing did something similar to this when they backed out of a big-time OOC holiday tournament, I think Georgetown was fearful of getting blown out 3 times on ESPN's family of networks!!

I'm actually interested to see what 2 teams will replace GW and Vanderbilt on Valparaiso's schedule. Will they be able to get a BCS team to schedule them at the last minute or will they have to settle for a low or mid-major cupcake??

8/08/2019 11:22 am  #29

Valpo had a mass exodus this off-season where five players transferred out in the span of two weeks. They finished 2nd to last in a slightly down Valley last season. I would be shocked if they do not finish last in their conference this year.

8/08/2019 8:44 pm  #30

Geno wrote:

Valpo had a mass exodus this off-season where five players transferred out in the span of two weeks. They finished 2nd to last in a slightly down Valley last season. I would be shocked if they do not finish last in their conference this year.

REALLY?? From what I remember of last year's game at GW, Valparaiso had great size, good shooters and some athletic players, how did they do so poorly in their conference?  Also, you'd think that 2 teams like GW and Vanderbilt who are rebuilding would want to keep Valparaiso on the schedule because it looks like a winnable game. 

Has anyone from GW given a reason why they backed out of playing Valparaiso? 

8/14/2019 10:36 am  #31

8/14/2019 10:47 am  #32

8/14/2019 11:05 am  #33

Jair Bolden revenge game 

8/14/2019 11:42 am  #34

They should be confident headed into A10 play but the question is whether this will be an illusion or not?  Last year's Fordham team similarly played an extremely weak OOC and went 9-4 entering conference play.  The buzz at the time was that maybe Fordham had truly improved.  By the end of the season, they went 3-16 against A10 opposition.

Incidentally, the South Carolina deal is a 2 for 1 with Jair returning to the Smith Center next season.  (Last year's debacle is not included since this was on a neutral court.)  Frank Martin is the coach who struck the same deal with GW while he was at Kansas State.  You may feel that 2 for 1's against power conference schools are bad deals for GW but I welcome such arrangements.  And credit to Martin for bringing his team to Smith Center. 

8/14/2019 11:43 am  #35

Obviously, the Dec 1 game jumps out at you. Will this be GW´s first game at So. Carolina since the school´s NIT debut game there? I like the load of local games (Towson, Morgan, Howard, AU) but I wonder if the home game against Longwood will draw more than 100 warm bodies if the Smith Center is not doubling as an emergency homeless shelter that night. Seems playing that date on the road might have made more financial sense...

8/14/2019 4:13 pm  #36

The University has posted this video:    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=674964496317057

It begs the question, what does it say about the school´s ability to promote when they use Yusef Islam´s hokey "Cats in the Cradle" instead of "Cat Scratch Fever" (Ted Negent) or "Stray Cat Strut" (Stray Cats) or "Cool for Cats" (Squeeze) or "The Cat Came Back" (The Muppets) or even anything by Pussy Riot?

8/14/2019 8:22 pm  #37

Responding to Thomas's question, the only thing that comes to mind is that we want to get as many as possible, even if it means playing only the worst teams possible. As a fan, I would prefer we play good teams, but maybe GW considers it more important to have success so the team's confidence builds.  Could be a good strategy, I guess...

8/16/2019 4:05 pm  #38

GW will play University of South Carolina at Columbia, SC on December 1. It is the first game of a two for one deal with USC in which we play the second game here next year and the the third game the following year at Columbia..

8/17/2019 10:58 am  #39

Looking at the non-conference schedule, it would be nice to have a 7-2 or 6-3 record (not-including Bahamas Showcase) losing only to South Carolina and Harvard or Vermont. I like the idea of establishing a winning attitude even against teams we should easily beat. Of course, too many losses against teams that should not be competitive with us would certainly bring us down to the level of these teams, all of which should be inferior to the caliber of basketball at GW. Not a place we want to be,  We should not be in discussion with these teams if the administration is serious about supporting a major college basketball team.
That said, in my 50 years of addiction to GW basketball, I watched the best coach, Mike Jarvis, open his career at GW with a lackluster loss at Loyola, MD. However, I think Jarvis had more talent in his first year that we have on this season's team (I hope I am wrong.) because Jarvis quickly turned things around with wins at home against St. Joseph's and at Stanford in the second and third games of the season.

And on the Bahamas Showcase, Iooking at the caliber of the competition, if we are worse than 2-1 in the tournament we should not be happy..

Wouldn't be great if Christian was the second coming of Jarvis? Long suffering fans deserve it.

So here's the history of our record against our 2019 non-conference schedule: I used the GWsports history page, which has not been updated with last season's results. (Note to Sports Information Dept.: Is there no one available after almost six months since the end of last season to do that?)  
I have listed  lifetime record against each time and the last year we played each team, but only records on Bahamas Showcase teams. Bottom line is we need to be at least 7-2 or 6-3 not including Bahamas Showcase. If we aren't, we are lowering the image of GW basketball to the level of these teams. After almost 50 years of addiction, I, like many others on this board, believe we should be talked about along with Georgetown, Maryland and George Mason.
Here's listAU 21-24 2018
BU    19-2     2013
Delaware  7-4    1997
Harvard 3-4 2018
Howard 9-1 2018
Morgan State 4-0 2017
South Carolina 9-7 2018
Towson 10-1 2018
Vermont 0-2 2018 Bahamas Showcase

• East Carolina (American Athletic Conference) 7-8
  • Evansville (Missouri Valley Conference) 0-1
  • Liberty (Atlantic Sun Conference) 0-0