GW Hoops

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/29/2020 3:27 pm  #61

Re: Jameer Nelson Jr

Yes,James Bishop with the ball in his hand 85% of the time, has led GW to a truly remarkable record so far.
  We can all agree on that.

12/29/2020 5:03 pm  #62

fungerhall wrote:

22ndandF wrote:

I wish Jameer great success. He seems like an excellent young man, and obviously he has great talent.  Wherever he plays and whatever he goes on to do after basketball, I feel confident he will make his family and friends proud.

Also, I feel it's important not to panic. Change happens and it's usually good, especially to those that embrace and accept it. I have full confidence in Jamion and his staff. They came into a very difficult situation and are doing what they think is necessary to create a winning foundation, which is the best way to do things, in my opinion.    

Tanya Vogel couldn’t have written a better response. You have full confidence based on what exactly?

HI fungerhall.  I reread my post and agree it sounds condescending. I didn't mean to come off that way, especially because I don't know Jamion other than reading articles about him and listening to his interviews.  Also, I will be the first to tell you that I am not nearly as knowledgable as many of the other people on this site.

What I should have said is that I believe in Jamion's character, personality and intellect.  I think we all agree that Jamion came into a situation that was deteriorating faster and faster with every passing month. I feel it takes time to completely take the momentum out of the downward spiral Jamion inherited.  So I am not at all surprised that the change continues even to this day.  But I do feel like things are starting to bottom out, and I feel Jamion is a great leader and will take GW to great places. 

Also, I feel Jamion has brought in some excellent new players and they will be the building blocks as we go forward.  I feel Bishop, Moyer and Battle are all for real.  And, while I am disappointed Maceo, Jameer and Ace have decided to leave, I'm excited because I believe in Jamion's ability to restructure the team into a winner. I'm also happy for the three players that have decided to leave because they will find new opportunity, presumably on teams where they will have opportunities to excel.

Last edited by 22ndandF (12/29/2020 5:10 pm)

12/29/2020 5:27 pm  #63

From a basketball standpoint, I don't really care. The team is 1-6.  Jameer is not playing much.  The team didn't look like it would succeed with or without him.

From a moving forward standpoint, I care a lot.  I don't care to get into the debate about whether JNJ and Maceo were forced off, whether they are "selfish," should have stuck with the program, etc.  But from the outside, this team doesn't seem to have any direction.  After year two of Hobbs, you could see where the team was headed.  The same holds true for Lonergan.  This does not hold true for JC.  At his opening press conference he specifically called out Mezzie.  Who he then never played and then left.  He brought in JNJ and Battle last year, only one of whom is still here.  He also brought in Paar, but I'm not really sure he knows how to use Paar.  He then brought in three more freshmen this year--none of whom are seeing significant playing time.  So, it appears the direction of the team is James Bishop and whomever else can stay on the court with him.  

Whether the players are being forced out, being selfish, or not is beside the point.  The program currently has no stability and no direction.  Some ofof that may be COVID; but all of that is troubling.

12/29/2020 5:32 pm  #64

Well hope that cheery outlook over at 22nd and F comes true, but there's another question.
Is it really smart to force out or freeze out, take your pick, a D1 coach's son and the son of a famous
NBA player in a relatively close big basketball city?
   Maybe JC's team of high major and low D1 castoffs will become diamonds if they somehow learn to play together. But programs usually need freshmen recruits, given the uncertainty and timing of the transfer market.
  And it's also better for program continuity, as we can see with no non-transfer seniors when they have a free extra year this season. We have no true seniors because they were rode off the team, one way or
another.
   Not that its hard with our record and previous turmoil, but isn't it going to be even easier with our current coach decision driven turmoil for A10 and other teams to recruit against us?

12/29/2020 6:48 pm  #65

Long Suffering Fan wrote:

I know this post will probably be moved by Barry as a dead horse issue, but I think this is a good time to reiterate a special f*ck you to Nero, who's unjust firing of Lonergan has sent this program to hell.  We were on top of the world...We were regularly playing and beating top flight opponents, we had just won the NIT, we were churning out future players that had stints in the NBA, we were filling up the Smith Center, we had a solid incoming recruiting class.   When the firing first occurred, I said it would take us 4-5 years to recover.  Now that sounds like an optimistic prediction.   So, screw you again Mr. Nero.  Screw you for firing a great recruiter and coach who said GW was his dream job and the he would never leave, and screw you for replacing him with a low level assistant with no coaching experience.   You more than anything else are the reason we are, years later, the laughing stock of college basketball.   

As a throw back from the old board: "I agree 100%"

12/29/2020 7:07 pm  #66

jf wrote:

Well hope that cheery outlook over at 22nd and F comes true, but there's another question.
Is it really smart to force out or freeze out, take your pick, a D1 coach's son and the son of a famous
NBA player in a relatively close big basketball city?
   Maybe JC's team of high major and low D1 castoffs will become diamonds if they somehow learn to play together. But programs usually need freshmen recruits, given the uncertainty and timing of the transfer market.
  And it's also better for program continuity, as we can see with no non-transfer seniors when they have a free extra year this season. We have no true seniors because they were rode off the team, one way or
another.
   Not that its hard with our record and previous turmoil, but isn't it going to be even easier with our current coach decision driven turmoil for A10 and other teams to recruit against us?

When you learn who is in the pipeline and who will be committing shortly both in 2021 and 2022, I wouldn't worry all that much about our recruiting. One thing about JC is that he never sleeps. Find the right guys who buy in and you will win. I liked both Jameer and Maceo but if they couldn't or wouldn't buy-in to their roles, then that's the way it goes. Wish them the best and move on. I'm more concerned about the guys who still are part of this team. 

We are in a new era where loyalty is thin and outside influences, social media and pro delusions run supreme. Let's see what happens in a few years. We may look back at this juncture differently than most do now.

12/29/2020 10:12 pm  #67

Loyalty works both ways.
When you choose to sideline players who can help for your own recruits,or sideline your recruits for the new,shiny object, that is even thinner loyalty.

12/29/2020 10:26 pm  #68

Gwrising-we May very well
Look back on this differently.  The problem I have is I see no direction.  2021 and 2022 recruits to be excited about?  That sounds great.  But then I look and see just one of three freshmen from last year’s class doing anything that gets me excited (despite regression) and I see three freshmen from this year’s class that can’t get any real minutes on a 1-6 team.  If you tell me that the plan is for the freshmen to get minutes and they will be part of the future, great.  Let’s see what now through March holds.  But  we are all almost always excited about a recruit or two.  To date, JC has hit on 1.5 recruits to work into his program (I’ll
Give half credit for chase).  I’ll almost always give a coach three years.  This is no different.  But halfway through this year, I don’t see anything resembling a long term plan.  That makes the short term losing harder, particularly when two individuals leave.  Call it lack of loyalty if you want, but these kids are playing through a pandemic, for free.  Let’s not put them out for not being “team first,” while going through all this.

12/29/2020 11:13 pm  #69

danjsport wrote:

Gwrising-we May very well
Look back on this differently. The problem I have is I see no direction. 2021 and 2022 recruits to be excited about? That sounds great. But then I look and see just one of three freshmen from last year’s class doing anything that gets me excited (despite regression) and I see three freshmen from this year’s class that can’t get any real minutes on a 1-6 team. If you tell me that the plan is for the freshmen to get minutes and they will be part of the future, great. Let’s see what now through March holds. But we are all almost always excited about a recruit or two. To date, JC has hit on 1.5 recruits to work into his program (I’ll
Give half credit for chase). I’ll almost always give a coach three years. This is no different. But halfway through this year, I don’t see anything resembling a long term plan. That makes the short term losing harder, particularly when two individuals leave. Call it lack of loyalty if you want, but these kids are playing through a pandemic, for free. Let’s not put them out for not being “team first,” while going through all this.

Let's first dispense with the "for free" business. They are getting a scholarship - that's hardly for free. Whether the scholarship is worth the risk of COVID is an individual judgment but GW did not force anyone to play this season.

Second, whether you see the plan or not, what matters most is whether most of the players and all of the coaches see the plan. The plan was not to lose 6 of 7 or to have Maceo or Jameer transfer. But it is what it is. Can't really get too concerned over players who want to leave. There will always be those and the minute as a coach, you start placating them against your better judgment, you might as well quit. Statistics tell us well over 1,000 transfers a year now. So the plan will be adjusted. It's really that simple. Worry about the guys who want to be here not the ones who chose not to be.

12/29/2020 11:59 pm  #70

Are you suggesting that the players and coaches see a plan at this time?or have a new adjusted plan
after the recent transfers.My guess is that there is no plan other than kind of ad hoc right now.
It seems haphazard to me.Christian is doing a terrible job.Let’s be frank.So far he’s talked a good game since
coming to GW-but so far not much to show for it.I know it’s early in his tenure and things can change-but that’s a general statement that’s true of almost anything in the long term.Not much to hang your hat on.

12/30/2020 1:13 am  #71

jf wrote:

Yes,James Bishop with the ball in his hand 85% of the time, has led GW to a truly remarkable record so far.
We can all agree on that.

Boom.

12/30/2020 1:38 am  #72

The Dude wrote:

Thomas, that's because James Bishop is 10x the player that the two guys who are leaving are, and the only person who would deny that is a delusional propagandist, which of course are 50% of the "names" on this board LMAO.

Every game James Bishop shines and the rest of the team looks overmatched and yet half the posts suggest the complete opposite because they are all written from the same man, a purveyor of nonsense who is still "suffering" for the 30th year in a row.

We have Battle and we have Bishop, and we have to add a lot of talent around them, there really isn't a player other than those two that would be much of a loss,and that's just the state of the talent on the team.   

Bishop is an exceptional offensive player, but he is a below average defensive player. Needs a lot of work there.  Plus an offense with more ball movement so the defense doesn’t always know we are attacking from the same spot on every possession, would perhaps take his efficiency on offense even higher, but he is the most talented offensive player we’ve had in a few years.

12/30/2020 6:53 am  #73

Gw rising-do the players and coaches see the plan?  Was the plan to bring in three freshmen and not play any of them with any amount of meaningful minutes?  Was the plan for battle to regress?  For chase to look average at best? 

You say the plan wasn’t to go 1-6; that’s obvious.  But usually from the outside one can see some semblance of a plan.  To see we are a developing team and to see how they are developing both individually and collectively.  Maybe that is developing around a player like bishop.  Maybe that happens.  I hope like hell it does. 

I’m
Not calling for JC to get kicked to the curb.  He’s entitled to his plan and entitled to have to adapt it (though I suspect he is not heartbroken about having to adapt without his three current transfers out(.  He’s entitled to three or four years to push his plan through.  But so far he has shown nothing of what he’s told us he would do schematically or from a results perspective.

12/30/2020 7:35 am  #74

I was a Psychiatrist for 42 years.During those years on occasion I would use terns like”trust the process”-
“one gets sicker before they get better””-“”it’s a leap of faith”.All true.Another equally important truth is
“faith is necessary ,but not sufficient.”

12/30/2020 9:37 am  #75

GW69 wrote:

I was a Psychiatrist for 42 years.During those years on occasion I would use terns like”trust the process”-
“one gets sicker before they get better””-“”it’s a leap of faith”.All true.Another equally important truth is
“faith is necessary ,but not sufficient.”

😂 Post of the year!

12/30/2020 10:22 am  #76

DJS you wrote it better than I could. Agree completely.

I am especially am concerned that this all happened AFTER the season began. Before or after would led credence to the idea that JC had a frank discussion with the now departed and they made their decisions.

The one thing I thought this team had relative to what it could control was stability and now that’s out the window.

12/30/2020 12:01 pm  #77

FredD wrote:

DJS you wrote it better than I could. Agree completely.

I am especially am concerned that this all happened AFTER the season began. Before or after would led credence to the idea that JC had a frank discussion with the now departed and they made their decisions.

The one thing I thought this team had relative to what it could control was stability and now that’s out the window.

Or maybe JC had that discussion earlier and things were okay but when reality set in they weren't. Depending on 18-22 year olds to be consistent in their thinking or to anticipate the reality of their choices is a game I wouldn't want to play.

12/30/2020 12:42 pm  #78

I'm interested to see if Bishop's numbers improve, remain the same or decrease now that JNJ and Maceo Jack are gone and he really runs the show in terms of minutes, shots and how the offense runs. Bishop has only played against low to mid major teams at this point, what happens now when he plays against better teams and better coaching in conference play? 

12/30/2020 12:55 pm  #79

Good point about better teams.
Not sure today is a test against another cellar dweller that hasn't played a game.

1/26/2021 7:33 pm  #80

Board footera